what is this mystery pratt and whitney tool?

Old October 7th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Noble

Default what is this mystery pratt and whitney tool?

I originally posted this in the metal working newsgroup, some folks there
thought the part might be recobnized by somone here - so, it's worth a try -
any clues?

thanks:

I think this is probably quite old, but so far I have no idea what it is (or
was part of) - there is another like it that has been sharpened to use as a
boring bar - clearly that was not its original purpose. the one pictured in
the drop box appears to be original - but orignal what, is the question.

here are the links to the drop box:
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-1.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-2.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/P-W-1.txt

Anyone got any clues about this item?

The text file from the drop box is reproduced below:

Mystery Pratt & Whitney tool - the cylindrical shank is exactly .500 inches,
it says on the

shank, the following:

NO. 32
HS.-36
E-12

P&W
MFD CT
Made in USA

it is NOT a drill bit. The part that extends beyond the 1/2 inch diameter
shows a wear line

like it was riding in a keyway. The point seems to be lathe turned, the 1/2
inch shank

appears to be ground
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Old October 7th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:51:00 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

[...]

first guess was a spot facing borer
but the wearline contraindicates that.
maybe a machinable dead centre for some special tooling jig.
Old October 8th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

My first guess would be some sort of gagueing equipment. I have run across
quite a few truly odd P&W gages and accessories for gage sets. They were
willing to make some very specialized gages for a lot of unique
applications.

Flash

Old October 8th 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Noble

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I would agree, though I think it is not a specialty item - maybe part
of something to measure camshafts and the like? I'd love to find someone
who could say for sure what it was

Old October 8th 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Bill Noble wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

Specialized boring bar? The 1/2" round end reminds me of my boring
bars, but I have never seen a cutting end like this thing has. I suppose
it could be installed in a boring head and used to cut a groove beyond
the reach of standard lathe tools. I'm probably way off, but I can't
think of anything else.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 8th 09, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_3_]

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:21:48 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

hey bill, send pratt and wittney an email and ask them.
Old October 8th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Noble

"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

plausible, barely - but this thing is NOT sharp, I don't think it's intended
to cut anything -

Old October 8th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Noble

wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

well, that's a good idea - though it is pretty old - I'll try that as we
continue to speculate - also ordered a catalog of the tools from the 30s to
see if I can find it in there

Old October 9th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Bill Noble wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

It was the best I could come up with I hope you find out what it
is and tell us.

Over the years I have seen many specialized tools that no one
outside the trade could guess what they are for. Somewhere in my
scrounge I have a tool for shaping the points on the end of wagon
spokes. It's good for nothing else.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old October 9th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Noble

"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

I've written Pratt and Whitney - we shall see if they have an answer -
meanwhile, here is my latest "brilliant" speculation - the ground part is
quite accurately ground to 1/2 inch - I just noticed that the flat part is
tapered in width, it is .194 near the pointy end, and .144 right next to the
ground round part. Further, the width of the flat part (until the very end
where it is much wider) is .565. So, if you now imagine that this tool is
slid into a 1/2 inch hole which has a keyway broached in it that is deeper
than 65 thousandths, then the thing will enter the hole farther as the
keyway gets wider - so that would make it a tool for measuring the width of
keyways.

Now, if my speculation were true, the ground 1/2 inch part would be just
under 1/2 inch so it would be a sliding fit - so I got out my best measuring
tool, an SPI digital micrometer that claims .00005 inch accuracy and I
measured it - sure enough,. 0.49950 - so it is 1/2 thousandth undersize.

This site shows some keyway width gauges
http://www.jayeshentp.com/products.htm which don't look like this at all

There is possible wear on the part that extends farther - it is .695 inches
in diameter - and it goes from .18360 to .19220 - which nicely spans 3/16
(.1875).

Ya think this could be it?