Where is the IAF for LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK?

Old June 12th 04, 11:53 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Where is the IAF for LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK?

I can't seem to find the IAF for the LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK. Any ideas why?

Old June 13th 04, 12:27 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...

I can't seem to find the IAF for the LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK. Any
ideas why?

Because none is designated.

Old June 13th 04, 03:45 AM
PaulH

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .158...
I can't seem to find the IAF for the LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK. Any ideas why?

I'm new at IFR so this may be off base, but... the chart says radar is
required, so I'm guessing you can only use this with radar vectors.
There isn't even a proc turn shown.

Maybe they don't want people wandering around CVG.
Old June 13th 04, 04:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"PaulH" wrote in message
om...

I'm new at IFR so this may be off base, but... the chart says radar is
required, so I'm guessing you can only use this with radar vectors.
There isn't even a proc turn shown.

The chart doesn't say "RADAR REQUIRED", it says "DME or RADAR and ADF
REQUIRED". You can fly it without radar assistance as long as you have DME
and ADF (or suitable GPS) and navigate via Falmouth VOR/DME.

Old June 13th 04, 04:26 AM
Gary Drescher

"PaulH" wrote in message
om...
Andrew Sarangan wrote in message

.158...
I can't seem to find the IAF for the LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK. Any ideas

why?

I'm new at IFR so this may be off base, but... the chart says radar is
required, so I'm guessing you can only use this with radar vectors.
There isn't even a proc turn shown.

Hm, which version of the chart are you looking at? The current NACO chart
(http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0406/00083LBC3R.PDF) says radar isn't needed
if you have DME.

--Gary

Old June 13th 04, 06:10 AM
C J Campbell

Another approach with no IAF is the NDB or GPS-A approach to Portland
Troutdale (TTD). This approach requires radar. It also has an interesting
lost communications procedure.

Old June 13th 04, 09:36 AM

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I can't seem to find the IAF for the LOC BC RWY 03R at LUK. Any ideas why?

Charting error. Falmouth is the IAF. They most likely failed to designate it
on the source document. Stuff like that happens.

Old June 13th 04, 02:10 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"PaulH" wrote in message
om...

I'm new at IFR so this may be off base, but... the chart says radar is
required, so I'm guessing you can only use this with radar vectors.
There isn't even a proc turn shown.

The chart doesn't say "RADAR REQUIRED", it says "DME or RADAR and ADF
REQUIRED". You can fly it without radar assistance as long as you have DME
and ADF (or suitable GPS) and navigate via Falmouth VOR/DME.

I never was very good in grammar, but what is the parsing order in the
above. Is it "DME or (RADAR and ADF)" or "(DME or RADAR) and ADF?" I'm
assuming English has an order of evaluation as does mathematics, I'm
just not familiar with what it is. I would have read this as requiring
either DME or requiring RADAR and ADF, but that isn't how you
interpreted it and I frankly don't know which is correct from a language
perspective.

Matt

Old June 13th 04, 04:52 PM

Matt Whiting wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"PaulH" wrote in message
om...

I'm new at IFR so this may be off base, but... the chart says radar is
required, so I'm guessing you can only use this with radar vectors.
There isn't even a proc turn shown.

The chart doesn't say "RADAR REQUIRED", it says "DME or RADAR and ADF
REQUIRED". You can fly it without radar assistance as long as you have DME
and ADF (or suitable GPS) and navigate via Falmouth VOR/DME.

I never was very good in grammar, but what is the parsing order in the
above. Is it "DME or (RADAR and ADF)" or "(DME or RADAR) and ADF?" I'm
assuming English has an order of evaluation as does mathematics, I'm
just not familiar with what it is. I would have read this as requiring
either DME or requiring RADAR and ADF, but that isn't how you
interpreted it and I frankly don't know which is correct from a language
perspective.

Matt

DME or Radar...one of the other
ADF no matter which of the "ors" above you have.

Look at the context. There are radar fixes where there are DME fixes.