Standard Cirrus 1973 (Grob) no water ballast

Old October 1st 19, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Simmonds

Default Standard Cirrus 1973 (Grob) no water ballast

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 1:51:02 AM UTC+1, Nick Gilbert wrote:
Having said this, yours is likely later serial number than 135 & doesn't have water ballast. Presumably if a customer ordering a brand new Cirrus stated that they didn't want water, Schempp would comply.

Cheers,
Nick.

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 10:17:51 AM UTC+9:30, Nick Gilbert wrote:
Schempp-Hirth TN 278-3 indicates that from serial numbers 1-134 water ballast was optional, and standard equipment from 135 onwards.

Nick.

Hi Nick

My works number (I believe that is what it is called) is 349G, however no water ballast.

I guess its like ordering a car with optional extras!

It doesn't seem to have really affected her performance though — looking through her paperwork she has numerous 500k, 300k, 100k flights and will probably be more aircraft than I'll be able to handle.

The gelcoat is absolutely on point too - wings and fuselage looking almost brand new, with just a few light scratches underneath where she has landed out a few times, and on areas where wings/tail connect

I've heard some people say that the Grob gel coat was superior — not sure about that, perhaps mine has just been cherished.

)

Out of interest, although its A Schemp Hirth design, it was built by Grob. Who would be better placed to tell me about it do you think, Grob or Schemp?

All the best

Ian
Old October 1st 19, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

=
Who would be better placed to tell me about it do you think, Grob or
Schemp=

Schempp-Hirth is the TC-holder of the Standard Cirrus. Best bet.

Grob has sold the tc-holdership of its gliders (which never included the
Standard Cirrus, even though they built them under license) to LTB Lindner.

Old October 1st 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Gilbert[_2_]

As Eric said - definitely Schempp Hirth.

For what it's worth, one of the most well known Standard Cirrii is VH-GZR, flown by Ingo Renner at the 1974 Worlds at Waikerie in Australia, and the subject of the movie "Zulu Romeo, Good Start". This is a Grob build

Cheers,
Nick.
Old October 1st 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 20:43 01 October 2019, Nick Gilbert wrote:
As Eric said - definitely Schempp Hirth.

For what it's worth, one of the most well known Standard Cirrii is

VH-GZR,
flown by Ingo Renner at the 1974 Worlds at Waikerie in

Australia, and the
subject of the movie "Zulu Romeo, Good Start". This is a Grob

build

Cheers,
Nick.

Flies very well too, that particular Cirrus.

Old October 2nd 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-7, Eric Munk wrote:
At 20:43 01 October 2019, Nick Gilbert wrote:
As Eric said - definitely Schempp Hirth.

For what it's worth, one of the most well known Standard Cirrii is

VH-GZR,
flown by Ingo Renner at the 1974 Worlds at Waikerie in

Australia, and the
subject of the movie "Zulu Romeo, Good Start". This is a Grob

build

Cheers,
Nick.

Flies very well too, that particular Cirrus.

Attila makes it go well.
Jim
Old October 2nd 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My Cirrus is one of the early ones (1969, s/n 9) and it originally did not have water ballast when delivered. It was added at a later date per a factory supplied mod kit according to the records. This consisted of bags in the wings and dump valve in the lower fuselage. The maximum gross weight was increased from 728 to 860lbs (wet). Unfortunately, the mod was removed long before I acquired the sailplane. It would have been nice to have flown it with water ballast but it does very well without.
Old October 2nd 19, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Simmonds

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 9:43:55 PM UTC+1, Nick Gilbert wrote:
As Eric said - definitely Schempp Hirth.

For what it's worth, one of the most well known Standard Cirrii is VH-GZR, flown by Ingo Renner at the 1974 Worlds at Waikerie in Australia, and the subject of the movie "Zulu Romeo, Good Start". This is a Grob build

Cheers,
Nick.

Thanks Nick

I looked this video up on youtube and just watched it — fantastic, loads of Cirri to be seen.

Thanks )

Best
Ian
Old October 9th 19, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Simmonds

Just a little update for those that are interested in the 1973 Cirrus without water ballast in the wings.

I had the following email from a Schempp Hirth employee:

Still none the wiser!

Dear Mr. Simmonds,

after checking our drawing list are all of the Standart Cirrus was built with water balast into the wings. I can´t see why you glider was built without water balast.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

René Dank

Kundendienstleitung / Customer Service Direktor
Schempp-Hirth Service GmbH
Krebenstr. 25
73230 Kirchheim unter Teck

Jantar Standard 3 water ballast tank repair [email protected] Soaring 6 June 5th 17 12:25 PM
ASK-21 and Grob 103 cockpit ballast weights kirk.stant Soaring 12 September 2nd 15 08:57 PM
water ballast 6PK Soaring 16 July 15th 15 01:43 PM
Grob 103 Ballast Weights Roger Fowler[_2_] Soaring 0 January 16th 12 01:18 PM
Who first used water ballast and when? John McCullagh Soaring 9 October 18th 06 09:36 AM