Looking for new glider

Old August 15th 03, 12:39 AM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...
The Apis is a clean looking ship from the pictures that I have seen.
Is it considered and ultralight?

Not in the USA. Take a look at their website:
www.apisgliders.com

Is there a preference to fly a more substantial machine that has more
mass and structure for comfort and safety?

I wouldn't expect the comfort to be any better, just because it's
heavier. Safety is a broader question, but I'm assuming you are asking
about crashworthiness, since you mention structure. Without some
actual crashes, or some careful testing, it's hard to compare such
dissimilar gliders as the Apis and, say, the Ventus or ASW 27.

How does an ultra light design compare to a german 15 meter design?

Are reynolds numbers better for smaller or larger wings?

I have been quite curious about the Apis as a motorglider (no tow
plane here on this Island "Kona") as my threshold of pain for money is
a bit shy of the current ASH 26E / DG 808M / prices... although quite
beautiful works.

Assuming you are in Kona, Hawaii, I'd suggest the Apis, Silent, Russia
AC5M type of motorglider would be well suited to the island, and that
the 18M gliders would be lots more glider than useful. An ASW 24 E
might also be satisfactory - more glider, but less motorglider.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)
Old August 16th 03, 05:18 PM
Dave Nadler \YO\

Very nice Discus for sale. See:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze27w6r/
Unquestionable performance, ease of handling and assembly, and resale.
Best Regards, Dave

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
I've sold my old glider and now I'm in the market for a new one. This

time
I'm going the single-place route.

There seems to be a sweet spot in the price/performance curve when looking
at the older open class gliders like the Open Cirrus, Jantar 2 (A or B),

LAK
12 etc... I haven't ruled out 15 meter gliders but I'm never going to
compete in anything more than Sports Class. I just want the performance

get home from the high country in Colorado.

Any thoughts?
Bill Daniels