SSA strategic plan

Old October 30th 04, 09:27 PM
Jack Glendening

Default SSA strategic plan

I just read the Strategic Plan posted on the SSA website and encourage
other SSA members to also read it. I think it is the best thing to
emerge from the SSA and its Board in a long time and thank all who put
time and thought into it, particularly those who conceived and pushed
for it. Now we will have some concrete ideas to reference future
actions (and to argue over!). Since a main concern of mine is the growth
of our sport (or lack thereof), since that will determine its future, I
was particularly impressed by its specification of desired membership
figures. Whether they are achieved or not, at least it gives a measure
of how well we are doing in trying to promote that growth. I was also
impressed by its breakup of growth into two parts, one of which I would
characterize as increasing the SSA share of the existing glider pilot
pool and the other as the growth of that pool. I think the more
important of those is the latter, since in the long run improving the
percentage of glider pilots who are SSA members is not going to be
meaningful if the total number of glider pilots decreases.