Flarm and stealth

Old October 28th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Flarm and stealth

As the US gets ready for the arrival of flarm, a big question on many
US pilot's minds is, what about stealth mode? From an armchair
piloting point of view, it seems that seeing gliders in a several km
range, with climb rates attached, could be a major competitive
issue. With this in mind, whether to require stealth mode in
competitions is being actively debated.

I'd like to hear from our European friends with lots of contest
experience, just how this is playing out. Do you find that non-stealth
displays are in fact very useful? Where stealth mode is either not
required or not enforced (WGC), is it becoming de rigeur to have a
secondary display and follow the gaggle with your flarm? Or are the
theoretical advantages overstated, and in the real world flarm
leeching isn't that big an issue; you're better off looking out the
window and seeing who is racked up in a tight turn?

Where stealth mode is required, is it being enforced, and how much of
a pain is that proving to be? Certainly the obvious protocol,
involving cockpit checks for hidden flarms, daily submission of flight
logs, and penalties for absence of such logs, seems rather onerous.

Thanks in advance. We are fortunate to have your experience so we
don't have to rethink this all from scratch!

John Cochrane
Old October 28th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Clarification for US pilots: "Stealth mode" means other people can't
see you from a great distance, nor see your climb rate, on devices
attached to flarm. In return, you can't see them or their climb rates
either; they only show up when they pose a collision threat. If you
select "stealth mode" this is reflected in the flarm IGC file, so
scorers can verify the setting.

But I'm hoping for more actual experience from Europe than theoretical
opinions from the US!

John Cochrane
Old October 28th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Oct 28, 5:06*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
Clarification for US pilots: "Stealth mode" means other people can't
see you from a great distance, nor see your climb rate, on devices
attached to flarm. In return, you can't see them or their climb rates
either; they only show up when they pose a collision threat. If you
select "stealth mode" this is reflected in the flarm IGC file, so
scorers can verify the setting.

But I'm hoping for more actual experience from Europe than theoretical
opinions from the US!

John Cochrane

Keep in mind that Powerflarm is said to have longer range than
Flarm.

-T8

Old October 28th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Oct 28, 2:06*pm, John Cochrane

To heck with stealth, what about ECM?
Old October 28th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 28, 5:29*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
To heck with stealth, what about ECM?

That's why the payload is proprietary and encrypted ;-)
See ya, Dave
Old October 28th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Am 28.10.2010 21:53, John Cochrane wrote:
[...]

In the (regional) competitions that I attended, there was no requirement
of Flarm stealth mode, and almost all pilots had their Flarm configured
in open mode. So everyone was in fact free to hide himself from others
at the cost of not receiving tactical informations himself.

I have no knowledge of a competition here in Germany where the rules
required stealth mode, but there may have been such competitions that
I'm not aware of. Others might want to jump in here.

I have the butterfly display installed in my glider, and I personally
found it quite useful to get the information if a glider circling 3km in
front of me actually had a strong or weak lift, or to get the info that
in 10km distance there was a lift that I could reach straight on,
without having seen the glider that send out the signal.

In competitions this info might be (relatively) less valuable, because
one (at least me) always tends to be in the proximity of a few other
competitors, so normally the Flarm tactical information is only used to
confirm my decision made on 'gut feeling'.

It is much more valuale on normal X/C flights, where I often get
information about thermals 10-15km ahead. This quite often lead to
decisions that I probably wouldn't have made without that information.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Old October 28th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

wrote:

To heck with stealth, what about ECM?

too close for missiles i'm switching to guns?

Old October 28th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jerzy

On Oct 28, 5:53*pm, Peter Scholz
wrote:
[...]

ASW24 JE- Hide quoted text -

I had Flarm connected to ClearNav during 2010 WGC it worked perfect,
most 18 meter class pilots didn't have stealth mode, climb rate of
gliders was useless. The most important part was that I could see on
the screen gliders behind me and in my blind spots in addition to
warning about collision. It was eye opener how many gliders I didn't
see till Flarm warning. Flying in thermal with 50+ gliders was no
problem, no excessive warnings, just as needed.
Jerzy XG
Old October 28th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Oct 28, 6:51*pm, Jerzy wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:53*pm, Peter Scholz

[...]

Thanks Jerzy - Can you tell us if you had "competition mode" set ?
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old October 29th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jerzy

On Oct 28, 6:54*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Oct 28, 6:51*pm, Jerzy wrote:

On Oct 28, 5:53*pm, Peter Scholz
wrote:

[...]

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"- Hide quoted text -

I didn't set competition mode
Jerzy

Flarm in the US Steve Freeman Soaring 163 August 15th 10 12:12 AM
Chinese J-XX ''stealth fighter''. - File 1 of 1 - Chinese J-XX ''stealth fighter''.jpg (1/1) Troy[_2_] Aviation Photos 10 June 10th 08 01:41 PM
IGC FLARM DLL [email protected] Soaring 1 March 25th 08 12:27 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 17th 06 12:20 AM
FLARM John Galloway Soaring 9 November 27th 04 08:16 AM