The McGurk Effect

Old November 2nd 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default The McGurk Effect

More on the subject of the limitations of human physiology... Just ran
across this great little segment of a BBC show called Horizon, on The
McGurk Effect and thought it went nicely with the counting test and
optical effects, but thought it deserved it's own thread. Watch your
ears lie, despite your best efforts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5t...layer_embedded

Pretty scary to think about how our brains literally transform
information into what it *thinks it's supposed to be processing in
situations with conflicting inputs. :|

-Paul
Old November 3rd 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

Damn, I thought it was going to be something to do with Coach McGurk
from Home Movies.......
Old November 4th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Mc Elligott

Whoa, mama! That is amazing. Brain 1, McElligott nil.

Old November 4th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Nov 3, 11:04*pm, Ramy wrote:
Spooky! Not only we can't trust our eyes we can neither trust our
ears!

What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!
Old November 4th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

Meh... doesn't make it any less amazing how the the human mind does
not process the the fact I used the the word "the" twice each time in
this sentence.
Old November 4th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Glidergeek's comment is probably similar to some in Ohio in the
1890s: "Those silly Wright brothers! Flying kites and studying birds
- how frivolous and wasteful!"

Moral - just because you can't see the point in something doesn't
always mean that it's useless.

-John

Old November 5th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

On Nov 4, 2:31*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Glidergeek's comment is probably similar to some in Ohio in the
1890s: *"Those silly Wright brothers! Flying kites and studying birds
- how frivolous and wasteful!"

Moral - just because you can't see the point in something doesn't
always mean that it's useless.

-John

On Nov 4, 10:01 am, glidergeek wrote:

What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

Try to say: buck, buck, buck...
Old November 5th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Why cheer for a loser?

On Nov 4, 11:41 pm, RRK wrote:
Try to say: buck, buck, buck...

New DC ADIZ in Effect John T Piloting 4 September 1st 07 09:30 PM
When did FAR 121.587 go into effect? [email protected] Piloting 2 April 2nd 07 02:25 AM
Will the new government have any effect on GA? Andrew Sarangan Piloting 128 December 31st 06 09:13 PM
Magnus Effect COLIN LAMB Soaring 23 October 27th 04 07:02 PM
The Meredith Effect Corky Scott Home Built 19 September 4th 04 04:01 PM