Ventus C vs LS6

Old August 28th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marshall Woodford

Default Ventus C vs LS6

I’m looking for a cross county glider. The Ventus C comes with 17.5 and 15 winglets. It also has factory tips. The LS6 has low hours and the wings and horizontal stab was refinished and painted. The fuselage is in good condition and original. Both have Cobra trailers and the Ventus’s trailer is in better condition. The other is road worthy. Which one?
Old August 28th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

My humble opinion: They're both fine sailplanes, and Cobra trailers are pretty darn good even when not in the greatest shape. The LS6 is probably the sweeter flying glider. But if it is an earlier one without auto-connect controls, I'd let the trailer be the deciding factor and go with the Ventus.

--Bob K.
Old August 29th 18, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi there,

having owned both, I'd always go with the LS6. The Ventus C handling is not bad, but it needs constant attention when circling in narrow thermals, because it's stability isn't very good (but better than the B-version). This is easier with an LS6.

Also personally I prefer LS cockpits because of the nice seat back and headrest which are more comfortable, if you fit in. Then you have waterbags instead of integral tanks, which are easier to service in case of leakage. If it's an LS6-c, it also has automatic connections of the controls, so no difference there. You probably wouldn't prefer an LS6-a or -b over an Ventus-c, because it has only 15m of span.

About the trailer, if it's not in a total devastating state, it should be ok. You can repair it during winter or get a better one. I'd base my decision more on the glider, it's handling, state and comfort.

Regards
Stefan
Old August 29th 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mercredi 29 août 2018 15:22:55 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
[...]

I have about 1400 h in my Ventus cM (17.6 m) and have flown extensively "against" a LS6-18W.
The handling of the Ventus is very nice and docile; you can take off your hands during thermalling.
All pilots of LS6-18W's consistently tell me what a pleasure the glider is to fly - I suppose that there is some truth there ;-)

Performance-wise, the LS6 was climbing better than me, but he was at 36 kg/m2 while I was at 44 kg/m2. On the L/D, it seems to me that the LS6 has 1-2 points more (the Ventus is at 47).
Old August 29th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Art (LS6) math (Ventus C)
Main factor, pilot size, LS6 has a smaller cockpit, goes a bit better.
If you fit, LS all the way. But you gotta pay the LS tax, thanks to DG.
Old September 5th 18, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old September 6th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've owned both a Ventus C and a LS-6 (my current ship). Personally, it's a no-brainer. The LS-6 is a joy to fly, and the Ventus required constant attention, and was always ready to blind side me.
Sailors have an expression to describe a boat that has an easy motion, responds to the tiller and leaves one refreshed (not exhausted) after a long ocean passage: "Sea Kindly."
Well, the LS-6 is "Air Kindly." It holds a 45 degree bank without difficulty, has an easy motion, and responds quickly and positively to control inputs. Plus, it has a good turn of speed in negative flaps, and climbs easily.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the LS-6.
Matt Herron

Old September 16th 19, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 'LS' (maintenance contract with DG) tax is not really necessary. I own a LS6a and if you don't have a big repair or you don't need special components you don't have to contact DG... Lukas
Old September 16th 19, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 3:03:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The 'LS' (maintenance contract with DG) tax is not really necessary. I own a LS6a and if you don't have a big repair or you don't need special components you don't have to contact DG... Lukas

And if $250 per year is going to "keep you from buying a sailplane", you weren't really going to buy a sailplane in the first place, now were you?

Steve Leonard
LS6a repair project serial 6037
N511M
Old September 16th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:37:01 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 3:03:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The 'LS' (maintenance contract with DG) tax is not really necessary. I own a LS6a and if you don't have a big repair or you don't need special components you don't have to contact DG... Lukas

And if $250 per year is going to "keep you from buying a sailplane", you weren't really going to buy a sailplane in the first place, now were you?

Steve Leonard
LS6a repair project serial 6037
N511M

Steve, with all due respect, I suspect you are at heart not a sailplane pilot but an airplane pilot with talk like that. You of anyone should know that any sailplane pilot flying a $200,000 glass slipper would bitch, complain, gnash teeth and get white caps on blood pressure by a charge of anything over $20. On this very site I have personally seen sailplane pilots complain about the $5 for a Mark IV! yaw string while another priced the strings at $4. There must be a newsgroup for airplane pilots?

Ventus 3? Peter F[_2_] Soaring 26 December 5th 15 12:03 AM
FS: Ventus C KO Soaring 0 January 20th 06 09:43 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 January 17th 05 06:48 PM
Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 18th 04 09:39 PM
FS Ventus C 17.6 John Shelton Soaring 0 November 15th 04 10:10 PM