Winter altimeter error

Old October 26th 04, 08:02 AM
bumper

Default Winter altimeter error

My Winter 57 mm 20,000 ft altimeter reads about 200 ft high when entering
the barometric pressure in the Kholsman window. Some altimeters have a screw
adjust for this. Anyone know how this is done on the Winter?

thanks,

bumper

Old October 26th 04, 03:26 PM
Tim Mara

Set the current altimeter setting on the Kollsman window. Remove the altimer
from the panel and hold the altimeter with the face of it pointing to your
"left wingtip". Look on the outer edge of the case right near the altimeter
adjustment knob. There is a very tiny hole in the case covered with soft
black goo. With a very small eyeglass screwdriver, remove the black goo to
expose the head of a very small flathead setscrew which extends radially
toward the center of the instrument. Remove the setscrew completely. This
will allow the altimeter adjustment knob to be pulled out about 2 to 3 mm
further than normal. This disconnects the usual interconnect between the
Kollsman window and the altimeter pointers. Now rotate the (normal)
altimeter adjustment knob to set the correct altitude for your current
location. Push the knob back in to it's original depth. Reinstall the
setscrew, and you are done.
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old October 26th 04, 06:54 PM
Don Hammer

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:26:09 -0400, "Tim Mara"
wrote:

[...]

Word of warning - I don't know about the Winter, but most US built
altimeters adjust the same way BUT -- If you completely pull the
screw out, there are a bunch of interior parts that fall loose inside.
The screws on US altimeters are not to be removed. Loosen until the
head clears the case. It may take a bit of wiggling, but slide it
sideways away from the knob. The rest works the same. Officially,
this is an A&P adjustment I believe.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 26th 04, 08:50 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
bumper wrote:
My Winter 57 mm 20,000 ft altimeter reads about 200 ft high when entering
the barometric pressure in the Kholsman window. Some altimeters have a screw
adjust for this. Anyone know how this is done on the Winter?

thanks,

bumper

Hmmm...I wouldn't muck with it myself. The USA instrument flying
handbook describes these altimeter errors in cold weather.

I'd personally just use the error chart, and subtract the 200ft.

Beyond that, nope, dunno where the screw adjust is on the Winter,
but if you have a guy who regularly does 91.413 checks (transponder
checks) at your airport, he might help too...
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old October 29th 04, 09:51 AM
Jean

Btw, any idea where to find a replacement knob for a Winter alti ?
Thanks
Jean
ASW17 F-CAQC

Old October 29th 04, 10:11 AM
Bert Willing

Asking Winter ?

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Old October 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I'm quite sure I can get one for you. I'll ask Winter what the price is.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com