Winches (was Aerotow with Diesel engine?

Old October 29th 04, 06:38 AM

Default Winches (was Aerotow with Diesel engine?

In addition to AGCSC, there is a winch at Twentynine Palms, and one run
by the CAP somewhere around LA. That makes at least three known
winches operating in California.

Old October 29th 04, 12:26 PM
Phoebus N196J

Hey Guys:
Check out this site........http://www.permiansoaring.us/ They have
built their own state of the art winch and it sounds like they did it
on a shoe string.
Old October 29th 04, 01:49 PM
tango4

Nice winch but I wouldn't fly up it until you have the guillotine setup
sorted out!

Nice 'rock polishing' photo on your home page.

Ian

m...

Old October 29th 04, 02:40 PM
Jim Vincent

Here is a design that one of my friends designed tfor our club winch. The
beauty of this design is that there is no chance of getting a finger cut and it
works perfectly.

The design is based on a rotating cylinder mounted inside a metal cube. The
metal cube has a hole drilled through it through the center line. The cylinder
also has a hole drilled through it. In normal use, the hole in the cube lines
up with the holein the cylinder. To activate, a handle rotates the cylinder,
which the cylinder rotatesImagine an 8 inch square solid metal cube.

Nice winch but I wouldn't fly up it until you have the guillotine setup
sorted out!

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old October 29th 04, 02:46 PM
André Somers

Phoebus N196J wrote:

Hey Guys:
Check out this site........http://www.permiansoaring.us/ They have
built their own state of the art winch and it sounds like they did it
on a shoe string.

On this page
(http://www.zweefvlieg.net/index.cfm?....pagina&id=279) you can
find some information on the winch the Aeroclub Salland took into service
this season. The site in in Dutch, but here are some key features:
-6 drums
-diesel motor driving an hydrolic pump
-drums driven by an hydrolic motor
-automatic adjustment of speed and force (launch is practicly automatic, but
manual override is possible).
-dynema cable (lighter and stronger than steel)

This is what I considder 'state of the art'...

André
Old October 29th 04, 03:09 PM
Bill Daniels

"André Somers" wrote in message
Phoebus N196J wrote:

Hey Guys:
Check out this site........http://www.permiansoaring.us/ They have
built their own state of the art winch and it sounds like they did it
on a shoe string.

On this page
(http://www.zweefvlieg.net/index.cfm?....pagina&id=279) you

can
find some information on the winch the Aeroclub Salland took into service
this season. The site in in Dutch, but here are some key features:
-6 drums
-diesel motor driving an hydrolic pump
-drums driven by an hydrolic motor
-automatic adjustment of speed and force (launch is practicly automatic,

but
manual override is possible).
-dynema cable (lighter and stronger than steel)

This is what I considder 'state of the art'...

André

WOW! State of the art indeed!

I'd sure like to get more details on this winch in English.

Bill Daniels

Old October 29th 04, 04:36 PM
Steve Hill

I don't understand all the worry of a guillotine or cutter, if you are
flying with a weak link...?? Isn't the idea of the weak link that you can
induce a break in hte even things all go awry..??

Can someone clarify a bit further please...

Steve.

Old October 29th 04, 04:53 PM
André Somers

Steve Hill wrote:

I don't understand all the worry of a guillotine or cutter, if you are
flying with a weak link...?? Isn't the idea of the weak link that you can
induce a break in hte even things all go awry..??

Can someone clarify a bit further please...

No, a weak link is to prevent overstressing the glider during the launch.
Here in the Netherlands, a cutter installation is mandatory on a winch.

André
Old October 29th 04, 04:55 PM
Bill Daniels

"Steve Hill" wrote in message
I don't understand all the worry of a guillotine or cutter, if you are
flying with a weak link...?? Isn't the idea of the weak link that you can
induce a break in hte even things all go awry..??

Can someone clarify a bit further please...

Steve.

The winch weak link is pretty strong - about 1.3 times the gross weight of
the glider. You can break it but I wouldn't want to rely on that option.

The most common reason for firing a guillotine 'in anger' is that the lead
rope has fouled with the gliders wheel or skid so the pilot can't release.
This may happen when the glider gets jerked forward and rolls over the rope
in an unsteady start. That shouldn't happen if the lead rope is very stiff
as it is supposed to be. (BTW, this can also happen with air tow.)

Your inferred point that a guillotine is rarely needed is true. But, like a
parachute, it's pretty handy to have if the need arises.

Bill Daniels

Smart CDI diesel engine Hans Zwakenberg Home Built 14 January 9th 05 01:32 PM
Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 11:22 AM
Engines and Reliability Dylan Smith Piloting 13 June 30th 04 03:27 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM