Winches (was Aerotow with Diesel engine?

Old October 30th 04, 05:27 AM
Jim Vincent

Geez Todd, why not hook up a laser to cut the line. I bet there a few left
over from the Star Wars initiative that Reagan proposed. I might have some old
connections at Martin Marietta that could get one for you ;-)

Actually it struck me that it would be great for cutting
"piano wire" type cable provided you use a long lever, but I
would worry that Spectra might be thin and strong enough to
jam inside between the two cylinder and block. You've only
got one chance to cut it. Your starter motor idea, however,
makes me think it might be great for cutting Spectra if you
modify it like this:

Remove the center cylinder from the center cylinder hole,
leaving the block and the Spectra passing through the block
as before. Use the starter motor to (a) spin a cylindrical
blade that's axially removed from but axially aligned with
the center cylinder hole and (b) the spinning blade could
then be extended by starter motor axially into the center
cylinder hole. As the rotating blade entered the center
cylinder hole perpendicular to the Spectra, it would cut it
at the two points where the Spectra enters and crosses the
center cylinder hole. The blade would look like a hole saw
with a smooth sharp edge. Starter motors are already
designed with the extending action needed.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam

Smart CDI diesel engine Hans Zwakenberg Home Built 14 January 9th 05 12:32 PM
Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 10:22 AM
Engines and Reliability Dylan Smith Piloting 13 June 30th 04 03:27 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM