source for clear+red instrument tubing

Old October 30th 04, 10:54 PM
John W

Default source for clear+red instrument tubing

I'm having a bit of trouble finding some clear but
slightly red-tinted (not opaque) 3/16" I.D. instrument tubing.
Anyone know of a source for that? I only need about 12 feet.

Is possible to dye clear vinyl tubing?

Thanks,
John

Old October 31st 04, 03:22 AM
Papa3

Last time I checked, Tim Mara at Wings and Wheels had all the colors under
the rainbow if you're in the US (and judging by SAE dimensions I would guess
that's where you are). www.wingsandwheels.com

If Tim is out, McMaster-Carr has more materials and colors than you could
use in a lifetime. Start around page 83 of the online catalog.
www.mcmastercarr.com

om...

Old October 31st 04, 03:38 AM
Tom Serkowski

RIT dye works for this. I think Wil Schuemann even
suggested this in one of his articles long ago. Also
works great for model airplane canopies.
Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E

Old October 31st 04, 07:00 PM
Dave Nadler YO

What is RIT dye, where does one obtain it, and how is it applied ?
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

Old October 31st 04, 07:02 PM
Dave Nadler YO

The colored tubing from these two sources is opaque. Transparent
but tinted is preferable if you want to see water in the tubes...
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

"Papa3" wrote in message hlink.net...
Last time I checked, Tim Mara at Wings and Wheels had all the colors under
the rainbow if you're in the US (and judging by SAE dimensions I would guess
that's where you are). www.wingsandwheels.com

If Tim is out, McMaster-Carr has more materials and colors than you could
use in a lifetime. Start around page 83 of the online catalog.
www.mcmastercarr.com

om...

Old October 31st 04, 07:35 PM
Ed Byars

Dave, if I remember correctly RIT dye is a household product available at
any grocery or drug store. I'm guessing that if you dissolve a bunch in
water and leave it in most any type plastic tube overnight, I'll bet you
can't wash all of it out and you might have what you want. Or maybe dye the
outside too by putting the tube in the pot of dissolved dye overnight. Maybe
heat would help?I'm guessing, I've never done this.
Regards,
Ed Byars
om...

Old November 1st 04, 03:31 AM
Tom Serkowski

Hm, I figured someone would follow up with details... It's been over
20 years since I last tinted a model canopy.

The dye is available at any grocery store, generally near the laundry
detergent. Dave, does that mean you don't frequent that aisle?

I believe best results would be achieved by filling a small pot with
water and mix in a heavy dose of dye. Then immerse the tubing and
heat the water. Bring it up to just starting to think about boiling
and it should be For instrument tubing, I'd use the minimum time and
go for a tint to prevent heat stressing the material.

Don't use the cheap hardware store vinyl - get Tygon.

Needless to say, use an old pot and gloves or tongs.

-Tom

Old November 1st 04, 01:19 PM
Brian Case

My aircraft has colored tubing that was ordered from Tim Mara
(wingsandwheels.com) several years ago. It is Translucent, (Not
Opaque). But perhaps he is unable to get the Translucent any more.
Email him and ask, if he doesn't jump in here.

Brian

(Dave Nadler YO) wrote in message . com...
The colored tubing from these two sources is opaque. Transparent
but tinted is preferable if you want to see water in the tubes...
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

"Papa3" wrote in message hlink.net...
Last time I checked, Tim Mara at Wings and Wheels had all the colors under
the rainbow if you're in the US (and judging by SAE dimensions I would guess
that's where you are).
www.wingsandwheels.com

If Tim is out, McMaster-Carr has more materials and colors than you could
use in a lifetime. Start around page 83 of the online catalog.
www.mcmastercarr.com

om...