LX Era 80 vs S80/S100

Old October 2nd 19, 07:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default LX Era 80 vs S80/S100

I'm thinking of upgrading my SDI C4 e-vario this winter in my DG-100. With limited space, I would be going for an 80mm one.

I've seen some different options, like the LX S80/S100 and Era 80, but fail to see many differences.

For what I do know from the cumulus-soaring.com comparison page is that the Era 80 has GPS built in, is IGC approved and has a built in backup battery.. Also, the Era seems to support 1 needle at a time, while the S80/S100 can do netto/relative/McCready needles at the same time.

Would you suggest one above the other? Any other features to compare that I'm missing?

Help would be appreciated!
Old October 2nd 19, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 9:44:55 AM UTC+3, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my SDI C4 e-vario this winter in my DG-100. With limited space, I would be going for an 80mm one.

I've seen some different options, like the LX S80/S100 and Era 80, but fail to see many differences.

For what I do know from the cumulus-soaring.com comparison page is that the Era 80 has GPS built in, is IGC approved and has a built in backup battery. Also, the Era seems to support 1 needle at a time, while the S80/S100 can do netto/relative/McCready needles at the same time.

Would you suggest one above the other? Any other features to compare that I'm missing?

Help would be appreciated!

I've flown S80 and first thing I did was to get rid of clutter of several needles.

I would add Air Glide S to the list. You get the very good inertial netto that is not availabe on others, and a product that is made to look and feel like real aircraft instrument.
Old October 2nd 19, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 2 oktober 2019 10:18:31 UTC+2 schreef krasw:
[...]

The Air Glide looks amazing, however, the display is € 1499 and if I'm not mistaken, requires the € 1499 sensor unit as well, making the Era 80/S80/S100 well over € 1000 cheaper.
Old October 2nd 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I fly with S80 in club aircraft and with LX EOS in my ASW27. My
contribution to your questions in that the S80 has too many knobs and
buttons. The EOS has one knob and one button.

Despite flying with the S80 for 2 seasons I still end up hitting the wrong
buttons and twiddling the wrong knob. The LX offerings are much easier to
operate.

Both are very good varios and provide all the data you need (and much
more).

Old October 2nd 19, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun McLaughlin[_2_]

=
limited space, I would be going for an 80mm one.

I've seen some different options, like the LX S80/S100 and Era 80, but
fail=
to see many differences.

For what I do know from the cumulus-soaring.com comparison page is that
the=
Era 80 has GPS built in, is IGC approved and has a built in backup
battery=
.. Also, the Era seems to support 1 needle at a time, while the S80/S100
can=
do netto/relative/McCready needles at the same time.

Would you suggest one above the other? Any other features to compare that
I=
'm missing?

Help would be appreciated!

I have flown with both - Era 80 in a club owned Discus, and S80 (with AHRS)
in private Cirrus/Nimbus/ASW20. Much more time in the S80 equipped
gliders.

Both are good varios, personally I prefer the S80/S100 (with the LX remote
Stick). The Era 80 has a 'fancier' display/UI, as I think it has a higher
resolution but I found the S80 much easier to get started with visually and
while quickly scanning the instruments. Once you understand the multiple
'needles' (also includes thermal average) they are very useful indeed.

I have also heard good things about the ClearNav Vario (with the square LCD
display), but this lacks some all round functionality of the Era/S80 (which
may need additional licences anyway to enable).

If you are borderline on which to choose, go with the one which is more
common at your club- these are niche products and you may well find you
need support at the most inconvenient of moments!

Cheers,
Shaun

Old October 2nd 19, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 2 oktober 2019 12:45:04 UTC+2 schreef Jim White:
I fly with S80 in club aircraft and with LX EOS in my ASW27. My
contribution to your questions in that the S80 has too many knobs and
buttons. The EOS has one knob and one button.

Despite flying with the S80 for 2 seasons I still end up hitting the wrong
buttons and twiddling the wrong knob. The LX offerings are much easier to
operate.

Both are very good varios and provide all the data you need (and much
more).

Would you say the S80 is less accurate or about the same in performance? The Era 80 also features 2 knobs and buttons, but performance or feature wise I can't find many differences.
Old October 3rd 19, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 11:21:17 UTC+3, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
[...]

Correspoding LX Nav would be S100 with AHRS option, priced very close to it..
Old October 3rd 19, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sergio Elia

They are both valid. I use S100 and I'm very satisfied. The S100 also has GPS, is IGC certificated and has an internal backup battery that lasts for 3 hours. I would definetly reccomend the remote stick.
It is very precise in Wind calculations.
Cheers
Old October 3rd 19, 10:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 11:17 02 October 2019, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Op woensdag 2 oktober 2019 12:45:04 UTC+2 schreef Jim White:
I fly with S80 in club aircraft and with LX EOS in my ASW27. My
contribution to your questions in that the S80 has too many knobs and
buttons. The EOS has one knob and one button.

Despite flying with the S80 for 2 seasons I still end up hitting the

wrong
buttons and twiddling the wrong knob. The LX offerings are much easier

operate.

Both are very good varios and provide all the data you need (and much
more).

Would you say the S80 is less accurate or about the same in performance?
The Era 80 also features 2 knobs and buttons, but performance or feature
wise I can't find many differences.

They are both very good varios. My EOS tracks my Sage Vario pretty much
exactly. I am not sure how you would check 'accuracy' in climb or glide
except by doing a Johnsonesque long glide in still air.

Old October 3rd 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 2:15:06 AM UTC-7, Jim White wrote:
[...]

I alway check altimeter too. More than once 3-4 knots on vario but reality, as told by altimeter was another story. When I turn into a thermal I note altitude.

LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question vtcyclist Soaring 18 May 25th 19 05:42 PM
Air glide Vario family versus S100 LXNAV - Comments on Winds and Performance? WaltWX[_2_] Soaring 11 December 17th 18 11:01 AM
LX S100 Bryce Sammeter Soaring 2 November 1st 17 09:43 AM
S80 S100 stick controller how helpful? [email protected] Soaring 11 February 13th 17 05:03 AM