A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can only CFIs teach flying?

Old October 5th 19, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Can only CFIs teach flying?

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 7:23:24 PM UTC-4, jp wrote:
Is it legal for non-CFIs to instruct others to fly?

JP Contact me off-line for my thoughts on your inquiry.

smanley @ wisc dot edu or 608 222 6843 or Skype "scooter.manley"
Old October 5th 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 2:48:17 AM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 10:56:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
There is one common, required logbook endorsement unique to the soaring community that doesn't have to be issued by an instructor. Do any glider only rated pilots know what it is?

DT

Tow endorsement

Yes, another current towpilot can endorse the towing instruction for the initial and the 24 month recurrent endorsement (as needed) but the mandatory GLIDER TRAINING requirement in FAR 61.69 for the initial towpilot endorsement must be logged with a CFIG.

I just gave the FAR 61.69 ground and flight instruction in my Cessna 182 towplane and the glider training in my ASK-13 to 6 brand new towpilots for FREE at Marfa in southwest Texas. Like my free checkrides for glider flight instructor (Initial and Renewal), we obviously cannot get aloft without good tow pilots.
Old October 5th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I’ll just touch on the part you don’t ask: No it’s not a good idea. It’s fun to show friends and family a little about how things work while flying, but hard core instruction? No way - Our wonderful sport is dangerous enough as is.

Cheers,
Bruno -B4
Old October 5th 19, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Even CFI’s sometimes put out some really bad info. A local old timer CFI was notorious for teaching students that if they have an engine fail on takeoff, that they could easily make a turn back to the field at low altitude by holding the wings level and doing a 180 with just the rudder! I actually heard this guy teaching that and his whole explanation of why it should work.
Old October 6th 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 6:59:20 PM UTC-4, WB wrote:
Even CFI’s sometimes put out some really bad info. A local old timer CFI was notorious for teaching students that if they have an engine fail on takeoff, that they could easily make a turn back to the field at low altitude by holding the wings level and doing a 180 with just the rudder! I actually heard this guy teaching that and his whole explanation of why it should work.

We had a local 'barnstormer', a charming and persuasive fellow, convince a few of our student pilots that in a steep enough turn, the rudder and elevator swap functions. And of course, once they'd bought that explanation, they really didn't want to let go.

T8
Old October 6th 19, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 5:42:07 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:

We had a local 'barnstormer', a charming and persuasive fellow, convince a few of our student pilots that in a steep enough turn, the rudder and elevator swap functions. And of course, once they'd bought that explanation, they really didn't want to let go.

T8

Poor choice of words or explanation? If you roll a G103 slow enough you will be feeding in top rudder to keep the nose from falling through. However the rudder has not swapped function with elevator. I flew a 10 hour aerobatic course with Les Horvath. When I thought he would sign my logbook he told me he was not a CFIG so could not sign the book. You can certainly learn much from non-CFIG's like XC flying. But for the basics through private I would pick a CFIG with grey hair.
Old October 6th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 10:24:26 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 5:42:07 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:

T8

Poor choice of words or explanation? If you roll a G103 slow enough you will be feeding in top rudder to keep the nose from falling through. However the rudder has not swapped function with elevator. I flew a 10 hour aerobatic course with Les Horvath. When I thought he would sign my logbook he told me he was not a CFIG so could not sign the book. You can certainly learn much from non-CFIG's like XC flying. But for the basics through private I would pick a CFIG with grey hair.

You fed in the top rudder to keep the nose from yawing through :-).

T8
Old October 6th 19, 09:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Deming Gray
external usenet poster

On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 10:57:54 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 2:48:17 AM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 10:56:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
There is one common, required logbook endorsement unique to the soaring community that doesn't have to be issued by an instructor. Do any glider only rated pilots know what it is?

DT

Tow endorsement

Yes, another current towpilot can endorse the towing instruction for the initial and the 24 month recurrent endorsement (as needed) but the mandatory GLIDER TRAINING requirement in FAR 61.69 for the initial towpilot endorsement must be logged with a CFIG.

I just gave the FAR 61.69 ground and flight instruction in my Cessna 182 towplane and the glider training in my ASK-13 to 6 brand new towpilots for FREE at Marfa in southwest Texas. Like my free checkrides for glider flight instructor (Initial and Renewal), we obviously cannot get aloft without good tow pilots.

Hi Burt,

I am very interested in your tow pilot course. I tow for the Civil Air Patrol in C-182 aircraft now. I would enjoy reading your tow pilot training material. I have read the Bob Warner book on towing gliders. I also am interested in coming to Marfa to fly my ASW20B soon. I would appreciate any information you may have regarding glider flying at Marfa too. Thanks, Deming
Old October 6th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I can roll up into a 90 degree bank and, if I don't apply up or down
elevator, the plane won't turn.Â* The nose will simply knife downward.Â*
So, am I clinging to something?Â* Think vectors and the vertical and
horizontal components of lift.

I read a story on one of the aviation newsletters recently where a young
FAA inspector was riding jump seat in an airliner.Â* As they waited for
takeoff clearance, she asked the captain which controlled speed, the
elevators or throttle.Â* Then the captain said that the throttles
controlled speed, she corrected him saying that throttle controls
altitude and elevator controls speed.

The captain thought about that and then said to the copilot:Â* " When
we're cleared for takeoff, I'll push the yoke full forward and, when we
attain takeoff speed, you push the throttles up so we can get
airborne."Â* The moral - what they taught you in class ain't always the
way it works in reality.

On 10/5/2019 6:42 PM, Tango Eight wrote:

T8

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 6th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Dan,

The reference frame is important. It's much easier to teach and discuss what's happening when we use the aircraft as the frame of reference.

We try hard to teach what happens in reality.

-Evan

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 12:07:25 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I can roll up into a 90 degree bank and, if I don't apply up or down
elevator, the plane won't turn.Â* The nose will simply knife downward..Â*
So, am I clinging to something?Â* Think vectors and the vertical and
horizontal components of lift.

I read a story on one of the aviation newsletters recently where a young
FAA inspector was riding jump seat in an airliner.Â* As they waited for
takeoff clearance, she asked the captain which controlled speed, the
elevators or throttle.Â* Then the captain said that the throttles
controlled speed, she corrected him saying that throttle controls
altitude and elevator controls speed.

The captain thought about that and then said to the copilot:Â* " When
we're cleared for takeoff, I'll push the yoke full forward and, when we
attain takeoff speed, you push the throttles up so we can get
airborne."Â* The moral - what they taught you in class ain't always the
way it works in reality.

On 10/5/2019 6:42 PM, Tango Eight wrote:

T8

--
Dan, 5J