car seats in taxis

Old May 18th 04, 04:48 AM
Peter Duniho

"Ash Wyllie" wrote in message
One wonders which is more dangerous, riding a few miles in a car without a
seatbelt (or kiddie seat), or flying in a light aircraft?

I think that's a fair question. But the risk of each is controllable, and
the risk of riding in the car can be reduced to practically no significant
risk of fatal injury with the proper precautions. It's silly to not take
those precautions, just as it's silly to not take the precautions that help
keep a flight in a light aircraft from being as risky as the overall 4 in
100,000 hours fatal accident rate would otherwise indicate (or whatever the
fatal rate is these days).

Pete

Old May 18th 04, 03:05 PM
J. Hansen

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"J. Hansen" wrote in message
om...
[...] Is there any other
reasonable transportation from IAG to the falls for five adults and
two children that will not require a car seat (we can always leave it
on the plane)? or am I overly cautious in thinking we need a car seat
for two ten minute taxi rides?

As far as safety goes, I guess that depends on how big your five year old is
and whether he is safe under a regular lap belt. Any occupants MUST be
safely secured, even for two ten minute taxi rides. Whether you need a car
seat to do this or not, I can't say, not knowing enough about your
situation.

My son is about 45 pounds. He's never been in a car without a car seat
and even the one time I've taken him in a taxi I used a car seat. Fortunately
the place we were visiting (the Natural History Museum in Cleveland) had a
place to store the car seat. I am certainly aware of the ironies of worying
about saftey in the car when I never used a carseat myself as a child, and
when I don't worry about taking him in a small plane (a Navajo in this case).

I suspect that my son himself will be the biggest car seat stickler in the
family. I can just see us putting him in the cab and him with a shocked
expression on his face panicing about the lack of a car seat.

As far as the taxi ride goes...you mention five adults and two children, so
a) I don't know how old the other child is, and b) I don't see how all those
people will fit into a single sedan. You must either be talking about
multiple taxis or a van or something like that, right?

The other child is older and does not need a car seat, and yes, I suspect
we will need to take two taxis or take one of those van taxis.

Here in the Seattle area, there are taxi companies that have their own car
seats. It's possible one or more of the taxi providers in Niagra Falls also
can provide car seats. Certainly it would be worth calling around and
asking. Make sure they not only have car seats, but they have car seats
that will fit the child (children) you have with you.

I have already tried calling yellow cab and they do not provide car seats.
I don't know what other cab companies there might be in the area.
Old May 18th 04, 03:13 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Duniho wrote:

We're talking about child seats, and children really don't have the capacity
to make the judgment for themselves whether to risk their lives in that way,
even if their medical expenses didn't hurt everyone else (which they do).

In fact, many of their parents and grandparents obviously don't have the capacity to
make that judgment, which is why we have laws about child seats.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.
Old May 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Peter Duniho

"J. Hansen" wrote in message
om...
[...]
I have already tried calling yellow cab and they do not provide car seats.
I don't know what other cab companies there might be in the area.

Well, on switchboard.com alone there are 16 listings for taxi services.
Google turned up a bunch of others too.

Old May 18th 04, 05:52 PM
Teacherjh

Well, on switchboard.com alone there are 16 listings for taxi services.
Google turned up a bunch of others too.

I've been in situations where I needed a cab, and the internet turned up scads.
But when called, many of them don't answer, don't serve the area, or are
closed. Also many cab companies go by many names and many numbers. So, those
16 listings may well be for one company that has been out of business for seven
years.

Jose

Old May 19th 04, 01:21 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
[...] those
16 listings may well be for one company that has been out of business for

seven
years.

J. won't know until he calls, will he?

Could be I'm doomed to die in a car wreck tomorrow. I still plan to get out
of bed though.

Pete

Old May 19th 04, 05:59 AM
Teacherjh

J. won't know until he calls, will he?

Right. But just the existance of 16 listings should not make him complacent.

Jose

Old May 19th 04, 07:39 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
J. won't know until he calls, will he?

Right. But just the existance of 16 listings should not make him

complacent.

Who said anything about him being complacent? I specifically suggested that
he call the companies prior to his trip. I haven't seen anything to suggest
that he would ignore that advice, or otherwise act in a complacent manner.

Pete

Old May 19th 04, 07:52 PM
J. Hansen

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
J. won't know until he calls, will he?

Right. But just the existance of 16 listings should not make him

complacent.

Who said anything about him being complacent? I specifically suggested that
he call the companies prior to his trip. I haven't seen anything to suggest
that he would ignore that advice, or otherwise act in a complacent manner.

Pete

In the end I have just decided to rent a minivan. It does seem a bit of an
overkill, but since a cab fare is apparently about $13 one way, by the time
we pay round trip cab fare for two cabs it is already close to the cost of
renting a car (although I'm not sure how much parknig will be). We can also
split the costs with the friends we are taking with us. Since I am paying
the cost of the flight, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to ask to split the
car rental.

Jeff H.