Wanted Moni

Old May 31st 05, 05:09 PM
Pat

Default Wanted Moni

I am looking for a Moni kit or plans, please email at:

Thanks

Old May 31st 05, 11:23 PM
Vaughn

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a Moni kit or plans, please email at:

Perhaps you already know, there is a Moni group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Monimotorglider/ . I love the concept of the
Moni! Unfortunately I have seen and read enough to be seriously put off.
Considering how many were built (or at least started) there are damn few flying.

Perhaps someday someone will start over with the same concept and do it
right.

Vaughn

Thanks

Old June 1st 05, 01:13 AM
abripl

There are allways a very few flying of any kit/plan built when
considering percentages. About 90% of original builders give up. If
only about 100 kits/plans are sold that means about 10 are completed.
When 10,000 kits are sold then 1,000 are completed and that makes it
look more successfull.

Old June 1st 05, 02:35 AM
Vaughn

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are allways a very few flying of any kit/plan built when
considering percentages. About 90% of original builders give up. If
only about 100 kits/plans are sold that means about 10 are completed.
When 10,000 kits are sold then 1,000 are completed and that makes it
look more successfull.

Yes, but I think you will find an unusual number of COMPLETED Monis that
don't fly, at least not any more.

From: http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...ft/monnett.htm "After
several wings failed in flight, Monnett redesigned the wings for riveted
construction but the Moni's reputation suffered" And that is just part of the
problem....

Vaughn

Old June 1st 05, 02:56 AM

I lost a good friend in one of these. I can only say that the reputation is
deserved. It is too bad internet wasn't going strong in those days, as my
friend might have been able to research his purchase before he died in it.

tom pettit

Old June 1st 05, 06:49 PM
Bob

But I love the concept/design.

I have not seen a design that captures what I want/need/can afford
since the moni.

Does anyone know of a current design that is similar?

Who owns the design now?

Old June 1st 05, 10:25 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Bob wrote:

But I love the concept/design.

I have not seen a design that captures what I want/need/can afford
since the moni.

Does anyone know of a current design that is similar?

Who owns the design now?

Brad Hill and I are working on something similar, that promises much
better glide performance than the Moni - but it's probably much pricier
as well. Here's a picture of it:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/glidair1.JPG

That shows it in 15m configuration. For a bit more info, see the 12 May
2005 HP-24 Update:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/update_12_May_05.htm

And, of course Dick VanGrunsven is working on a similar motorglider,
which he provisionally calls the RV-11:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-11int.htm

If you want something ready-made, there's also the Carat. The last
price I saw was about $80K several years ago; I think the Euro has
gotten a handful stronger since them:

http://www.technoflug.de/english/carat/index.html

As for who owns the Moni design, it's probably still Monnet. You may be
able to contact him through Sonex:

http://www.sonex-ltd.com/

But I doubt he is still supporting the old Moni.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old June 4th 05, 05:21 PM
Bob

I mentioned the moni to Jim at SunNFun a few years back, I dropped the
topic quickly. I am glad to see him back with the Sonnex, I think he
has a real winner of a product/concept there. And that plane is high
on my list.

I never really considered the Moni a motor glider, the 'glider' aspect
of it does not do much for me, but rather the low power, high
efficiencty and easy to build does. Plus the bring it home to work on
it in the winter is a nice feature.

Good luck with your venture.

Old June 7th 05, 05:01 PM

Bob wrote:
But I love the concept/design.

I have not seen a design that captures what I want/need/can afford
since the moni.

Does anyone know of a current design that is similar?

How about this:

http://www.sonex-ltd.com/xenos.html

BTW, does the Monnett Moni really cruise at 120 mph with the
KFM 207 engine? Isn't that only a 25 hp engine?

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...ft/monnett.htm

--

FF