Niagara Falls to Dearborn, MI questions!

Old June 12th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Niagara Falls to Dearborn, MI questions!

Our flight plan for our upcoming vacation is slowly coming together -- and
one of the legs on this 1500 mile excursion is going to take us from Niagara
Falls, NY (IAG) to Dearborn, MI (actually Detroit City, DET). This is
going to take us over Canada -- something we've never done before.

Questions:

1. We want to take the kids to the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn. It
appears that Detroit City Airport (DET) is the nearest airport to Dearborn.
Anyone landed there? Is it a pit? Parking fees? Is there a better choice?
Is Willow Run (the old B-24 bomber base) still open?

2. I know this was recently covered, but...when we over-fly Canada VFR, do
we have to pay them a fee? Is flying along the northern (Canadian) shore of
Lake Erie as cool as it sounds? I know we have to file a
Canadian/international flight plan -- any gotchas there?

3. Before going to Niagara Falls, we want to spend a day in Sandusky, OH,
doing the roller coasters. Any tips on where to stay while we're there?

If you're curious, the entire flight plan is:

IOW-K15 (Osage Beach, MO, for the Cherokee Pilots Association annual 3-day
convention)
K15-SKY (Sandusky, OH) Roller coasters...
SKY-IAG (Niagara Falls, NY) Water falls...
IAG-DET (Detroit City) Old cars, airplanes & buildings...
DET-IOW (Iowa City)

Any advice on other portions of this flight are welcome, too!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 12th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article QN1jg.775141$084.152108@attbi_s22,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

3. Before going to Niagara Falls, we want to spend a day in Sandusky, OH,
doing the roller coasters. Any tips on where to stay while we're there?

See if you can get a room at the Park on the Lake Erie shore.
Land at Sandusky/KSKY. The FBO will shuttle all of you to and from the
park for $25 round trip (old rate, call the FBO for current price).
If you do not want to stay at one of the park's lodging establishments,
contact the FBO for any facilities they have a preferred rate with.
Old June 12th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

2. I know this was recently covered, but...when we over-fly Canada VFR, do
we have to pay them a fee? Is flying along the northern (Canadian) shore of
Lake Erie as cool as it sounds? I know we have to file a
Canadian/international flight plan -- any gotchas there?

Stopping in Canada isn't a problem. As a matter of fact, give Hamilton
ON a serious consideration. The Canadian Warbird Heritage Musuem has an
outstanding facility at the southeast side of the airport. They have
Canadian Customs on the field and a couple FBO's at the southwest side.
NAVCANADA will send you a bill for $15.
Also, consider Toronto ON. Land at City Centre (the island). Take the
ferry across the channel. Walk 100 meters (yards) through the park. The
trolly stop is at the corner. The trolly will take you east into the
heart of the city. There are many fine hotels a reasonable rates.
The Ontario Science Centre is north of the downtown. Take the Yongue
Street subway north to Ellington. Get a transfer and take the bus east
to the Science Centre.
The Ontario Science Centre is five stories built into the side of a
hill. Each level has a different theme. They have a website
http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/ so you can check and see what the
special attraction is.
You call ahead 24 hours to both Canadian Customs and US Customs and
provide the personal information for those in your party. Using your
cellphone, call the appropriate facility from the ramp prior to engine
start a provide them with your ETA.
Have the partially filled out US Customs Form (download from AOPA) and
all your aircraft docs and personal identification ready when you land.
do not get out of the airplane until told to do so by the US Customs
offical who greets you. With CANPASS, you go into the FBO, call CANPASS.
They will either give you a identification number or tell you to wait if
they are sending an inspector. Be sure to ask on the phone when you call
with your ETA what they want you to do.
This may sound complicated, it's not. Just be respectful and have the
family comply with any directions issued. You will have to purchase a
$25 US Customs sticker for your aircraft.
Old June 12th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Our flight plan for our upcoming vacation is slowly coming together -- and
one of the legs on this 1500 mile excursion is going to take us from
Niagara Falls, NY (IAG) to Dearborn, MI (actually Detroit City, DET).
This is going to take us over Canada -- something we've never done before.

Questions:

1. We want to take the kids to the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn. It
appears that Detroit City Airport (DET) is the nearest airport to
Dearborn. Anyone landed there? Is it a pit? Parking fees? Is there a
better choice? Is Willow Run (the old B-24 bomber base) still open?

I believe that Detroit City is pretty quiet nowadays. I haven't been up
there in years, so I can't say for sure. It was supposed to be the happening
place for Super Bowl XL...

Willow Run is still open. The B-24 factory is now a GM Transmission plant.
What's left of the Yankee Air Museum is there. (They had a big fire a couple
years ago - saved the B-17. It still rumbles over my house on occasion.
http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/index.php

Grosse Ile (former Naval Air Station) is another option. There will be a big
RC Jet thing there July 13-16. http://www.grosseileairport.com/

When you planning to do this?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 12th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

K15-SKY (Sandusky, OH) Roller coasters...

Save two days for the roller coasters. You are in for a experience like you
have _never_ had before.

I envy you. Because of my back, the doctors say I will never be allowed to
ride the coasters again. :-(
--
Jim in NC

Old June 12th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" writes:

"Jay Honeck" wrote

K15-SKY (Sandusky, OH) Roller coasters...

Save two days for the roller coasters. You are in for a experience like you
have _never_ had before.

I envy you. Because of my back, the doctors say I will never be allowed to
ride the coasters again. :-(

Or, if you have a choice, go on a weekday. The lines on the weekends
are huge.

Chris
Old June 12th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
2. I know this was recently covered, but...when we over-fly Canada VFR, do
we have to pay them a fee? Is flying along the northern (Canadian) shore of

Yeah, $15 whole Canadian dollars.

Lake Erie as cool as it sounds? I know we have to file a
Canadian/international flight plan -- any gotchas there?

No, you don't. If you're not starting at a Canadian airport, you file a
US flight plan.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
Old June 12th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
2. I know this was recently covered, but...when we over-fly Canada VFR, do
we have to pay them a fee? Is flying along the northern (Canadian) shore of

Yeah, $15 whole Canadian dollars.

Oops, I did it again. You only pay the $15 if you land in Canada -
overflights are still free. Either way, it's not something I'd make a
go/no-go decision over.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The pluses in my current job include laughing in the face of Nobel
Old June 12th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Christopher Brian Colohan" wrote

Or, if you have a choice, go on a weekday. The lines on the weekends
are huge.

Agreed
--
Jim in NC

Old June 12th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tami and I flew from Grand Rapids, MI to Niagara Falls (IAG) on our first
wedding anniversary... 15 years ago. Nothing unusual about crossing over
Canada then, haven't done it since. We stayed on the Island, rented a car
and drove to the Falls.
Jim