Why GA is Dying

Old July 24th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Why GA is Dying

Yes, we wouldn't want you to feel bad. That would be terrible.

We wouldn't want you to feel unwelcome. That woudl be bad for GA.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
How is that any different than your neighbors setting up a neighborhood
watch program?

When I get accosted by a cop because I took a picture in somebody else's
neighborhood, it is no different. Perhaps cameras should be registered
weapons.

Had you a journalist with you, he or she might have reminded the officer
that -anything that is in plain public view- is legal, fair game for both
photography and publication.

For example, if instead of driving through the neighborhood you'd have flown
over it, who knows what you might see in people's backyards, but, guess
what: They can't stop you from photographing it. The paparazzi, Google
Earth, news helicopters, etc prove this daily.

The benchmark cases for this, by the way, include a photo somebody shot of a
dead fish in a window fishbowl where there had been a housefire, and another
photo of the "shadow" of where a woman had died and the fire burned around
her. The fire investigators left the front door open, and the photographer
was able to shoot the image from a public sidewalk.

A third case had to do with a Chicago streetcar fire in which many people
perished trying to escape. Utterly horrific photograph that had no place in
general news photography, but a local newspaper showed the photo the next
day. Can't find the case on the internet, though. Wouldn't want to see the
photo again.

-c

Old July 24th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

Let's not lose perspective here. As far back as I can remember, which
is close to 40 years, it has been far easier for a newbie to get a
cold shoulder or worse at an airport than for him/her to get a warm
welcome. (Yes, I can think of counter examples. Too few, though.)

The guy from the FBO that Kyle described just seems like more of the
same old same old.

Don
Old July 24th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default Why GA is Dying - POL quotes

Emily wrote:
Well, I'm not 50 years old, but I have less freedom than I did 10 years
ago. Actually, I was a minor 10 years ago, so let's see I have less
freedom than I did five years ago.

Give an example of a freedom you had 10 years ago that you do not have now.

Old July 24th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_1_]

Hear, Hear.

Al G

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Actually, the real threat to general aviation in the United States has
been, is now, and always will be, the American lawyer :-)
Dudley Henriques

I dont blame the lawyer.. I blame the folks who HIRE the lawyer.

Interesting take on this thread... How many would have thought a more
"friendly" approach would have been to simply go out to the ramp (FBO
employee, or whomever was tasked to be ramp nazi that day) and socialize
with the photographer?

Ask him nicely about what he's doing.. comment on the nice weather... ask
him where he's from.. shake his hand.. get his name.. Ask him if he wants
to get flying lessons, maybe point out a place down the road that does
discovery flights, and offer to forward his name and phone number to
them.. Invite him to come sign a visitor's log in the lobby, which your
FBO keeps there for that purpose.. look at this ID there..

If the "visitor" gets evasive or otherwise suspicious, then play "bad cop"
and switch gears.. until then, with the friendly approach, you have made
the visitor aware that he IS being watched, while at the same time being
accomodating and promoting GA. Remember.. just about all of us started off
by going to the local field and hanging around for a bit (unless you were
born into aviation, or a product of the military).

If we keep turning small airports in to private clubs with barbed wire and
keypad entries, they will soon become OLD FARTS private clubs with rusting
fences and declining membership.

Dave

Old July 24th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Give an example of a freedom you had 10 years ago that you do not have now.

The freedom to fly myself into an airport near DC to visit a friend who
lives there. The freedom to carry a thin, large diameter steel disk
onto an airliner as hand luggage. The freedom to carry a swiss army
knife onto an airliner (and with it, the freedom to carry it routinely
without having to think "am I going to fly today?"). The freedom to
leave a book I'm shipping through the mail in my mailbox for pickup.
The freedom to borrow a book from the library and not have it tracked by
the government.

The freedom to say this and not be labeled a "tin hat".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:43:07 -0700, jfleisc wrote:

During the visit he gave me one of his old high powered deer rifles
as a present. When I went back to the plane I walked right through the
terminal with it and out to my plane. Started up and left. No one gave me
a second look. I laughed about it most of the way home.

But did you see a lot of deer around the FBO as you walked through? I
didn't think so. You'd obviously scared them all away.

Now, don't you feel guilty?

- Andrew

Old July 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

kontiki wrote in news:6Faxg.6297$Oh1.5537
@news01.roc.ny:

Emily wrote:
Well, I'm not 50 years old, but I have less freedom than I did 10 years
ago. Actually, I was a minor 10 years ago, so let's see I have less
freedom than I did five years ago.

Give an example of a freedom you had 10 years ago that you do not have now.

Can't smoke on a public beach.

Brian - who does not smoke except when thinking too hard
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 24th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

kontiki wrote:
Emily wrote:
Well, I'm not 50 years old, but I have less freedom than I did 10
years ago. Actually, I was a minor 10 years ago, so let's see I have
less freedom than I did five years ago.

Give an example of a freedom you had 10 years ago that you do not have
now.

Hmmm, here's a few I think may qualify...

I was free to board a plane without being forced to take my shoes off. Or
pulled to one side to be searched - not for probable cause, but simply at
random.

I'm not on the "do not fly" list, but some people have been put on it and
have indeed had their freedom to travel by air denied.

I didn't always have to pay for meals on long flights - oh wait, that's a
"freebie," not a freedom. ;-)

In Oregon, I am no longer free to buy cold medicines containing
pseudoephedrine without a prescription (a law passed not because the
product per se was judged dangerous enough to require a doctor's order, but
as an attempt to starve the meth epidemic of a key raw ingredient).
Old July 24th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Yes, there's a lot of parallels. But if you don't see this yourself, there's no use to try to explain it.

The parallels diverge before meaningful comparison. My examples are of
=membership= in an =artificially created= group conferring rights
=granted= =by= that group. Your examples are all of =natural=
properties (sex, race...). If you really want to stretch the parallel
to fit, and are willing to be theistic, then the "groups" that you refer
to (men, women, blacks, whites...geez) are created by God, and
memebership is conferred by God. So, they have different "God-Given"
(and "God-enforced") rights, such as the right to become pregnant, the
right to tight curly hair... but this gets pretty silly and has nothing
to do with rights granted by man to other people.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.