Made in the USA

Old August 2nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Made in the USA

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
You gotta love the computer generated picture in front of real hangers.
I'm still looking for a price.
Lou

Yea i noticed that. That dash board (can't really call it a panel) looks
like it would be awful heavy.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Martin

Denny wrote:
There are many experienced and informed people on this list... But I do
see plaintive pleadings from some with lessor amounts of information at
their disposal... For those who don't understand why we (USA) can't
market a 'cheap' LSA, follow me through... Your lack of business
experience shows... The cost of labor is miniscule compared to the
regulatory costs...

So you want to manufacture the WHiz Bang 4, that you drew up in your
spare time at your real job...
OK, ya gotta have a shop to work in... So go lease a factory
building... BANG, ya got overhead! And you have to feed it every month,
even while you are still trying to put the business together...

snip

I could go on in great detail for tens of thousands of words, but I
won't applause... Anyway, the point of this for those who have never
actually started a business, is that there is a whole bunch you don't
know about our FREE country...

denny

You're assuming any design has to be done by a brand-new company. There
is no reason why an LSA produced by a major company (Cirrus, Cessna,
etc.) should cost well over $100,000. Again, however, the fear of
lawsuits, and the costs associated with certification, will drive prices
up. It also doesn't help that they try to include all these new fancy
avionics--a basic set of mechanical instruments and handheld GPS should
work just fine for a day-VFR-only aircraft.
Old August 3rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Bob Kuykendall" said:
Plastic (in this case, composites) is relatively expensive stuff. Most
of it is based on petrochems, so it's going to rise in cost with the
price of oil. And if there's any carbon to it, watch out! Right now the
Airbus A380 and Boeing 787 projects are competing for all the available
carbon, so supplies for bit players like kit aircraft makers are
getting quite pricey.

Some people I know who build canoes say that it's hard to get kevlar these
days because the military is buying it all up. Kevlar makes good light
structures for canoes, you'd think it would make good LSAs as well.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I use shell scripts at ork. Some cow-orkers refuse to touch them, their
Old August 3rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Paul Tomblin wrote:

Some people I know who build canoes say that it's hard to get kevlar these
days because the military is buying it all up. Kevlar makes good light
structures for canoes, you'd think it would make good LSAs as well.

Well, it depends. Aramids like Kevlar are strong stuff, but at issue is
the fact that it isn't very stiff. So it adds a lot of toughness to
composites, but isn't all that useful for adding strength or stiffness
to primary structures. Glider manufactuers will tell you that they add
aramid to the cockpit in order to improve crashworthiness, glider
pundits will often joke that the aramid is just there so they'll find
all the parts in the same hole. I add Kevlar to some of my cockpit
parts to make them tougher and less likely to produce pilot-impaling
splinters.

BTW, the same "Military is hogging it all" stories are circulating
regarding ultra high molecular weight polyethelene (UHMWPE) products
like Spectra and Dyneema.

Bob K.

Old August 3rd 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, ET wrote:

Here's one: www.nexaer.com

That wing/fuselage junction looks pretty draggy, with the fuselage
sweeping up right where the trailing edge meets the fuselage. I wonder
if they've done any analysis of the airflow in that area.

I'd think that with the frontal area of their 54" wide cabin (that's
what, 10" wider than a Grumman 2-seater?), they'd want to take every
opportunity to keep the overall drag down.

Bob K.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
oups.com...

Where are the Zenoah (Xenoah) engines made?

In the Zenoah factory. Duh...

:-)

http://www.zenoah.net/index.html

Appears to be in Japan.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 3rd 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Yea, I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed out
the 601.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yea, I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed out
the 601.

Sorry I was late to the thread.