Oh, he's good...

Old February 11th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Oh, he's good...

On Feb 10, 3:13 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Doesn't your Jodel have that funky differential braking system, or is it a
homebuilt one?

Homebuilt. Hydraulic heel brakes. Master cylinders are from early
1950's Austin automobiles. Still working.

Dan
Old February 11th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

William Hung wrote in news:c078e9d0-9b6c-44d1-8de9-
:

On Feb 10, 10:46*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Don't know if you saw this one as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A2BPcurREpo&feature=related

Bertie

I've been to the show, The Flying Circus, several years ago Bertie,
Bealton, VA. Thanks for the link, brings back memories.

Ah, so you've seen this behaviour before!

There was a guy on the west coast who used to do a routine in a Champ. THe
airplane looked like a wreck and him and a bunch of other "bums" would
assemble it as the airshow went on fighting with each other and parts
falling off. It had rags glued to the trailing edges and li'l Abner type
patches sewn all over it. The guy would take off and the right aileron
would come off just after takeoff. He'd then proceed to do everything the
Champ was capable of with the one aileron missing. I think he had the
ignition rigged to cause a backfire every now and then as well.. Most of
the act was designed to make it look as the the airplane was out of control
and about to crash at any moment...

Bertie
Old February 11th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in news:
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in news:jPSdnQVqtcu-
:
You knew Dick Schramm? Cool!

Most of the time I did this I was flying barefoot anyway....

Bertie

Knew both Sr. and Jr. Both were great guys. Dick Jr. was on the

mike
narrating for Dick when he was killed.
He was probably one of the finest sticks ever with a light

plane.
It was a freak accident, and I used it in my "Importance of
Preflight Inspections" safety talks for many years.

I don't know how it happened, in fact. My father saw it and came

home
talking a buch of BS about how it was a result of that fake stick
thing he used to do, and in fact I heard that story from the

usual
suspects for years afterwards, but I alwyas thought it sounded

like
BS.

Bertie

The way we got it was that Dick used to "borrow" a J3 from Red

Bank
when he was doing the clown act at Reading. I believe it was their
airplane that day that he was using.
Apparently they had used it the day before for a photo shoot and

had
taken the rear stick out of the airplane to accommodate that

mission.
When the stick was put back into the airplane after the photo

shoot,
whoever put it back apparently forgot to replace the lower cotter

pin
that safties it in the bracket.
Dick was doing one of his low altitude loops and had just gone

through
the upper energy gate and was starting down the back side when the
stick came out of the bracket. He had 0 control at that point. I

swear
I saw him trying to put it back in the bracket (of course we had

no
way of knowing this was what he was doing at the time).
He went straight in. Never had a chance. Dick Jr. was on the mike

and
I don't know how in hell he got through it but he kept his cool

and
tried to quiet everyone down. We both knew it was bad.
Anyway, that's what happened.
Oh. OK. That's what I heard, in fact.
Dick is remembered fondly in the aerobatic and demonstration
community. There is an award in his name and he is probably the

only
person ever to be made an honorary Naval Aviator without going

through
Naval Flight training. A wonderful guy, and a great pilot. Never

had
bad word for anyone about anyone.
The cotter pin should have been checked secured before the display

but
for some unknown reason it was missed.

Jesus.
I don't think the rear stick on a J-3 comes out. Maybe they do but

I'm
guessing the airplane was modded. Some of the tugs I flew had no

rear
stick and no rear rudder pedals, but they were heavily modified.

Bertie

I've never actually seen the lower attach bracket on that stick.

This
plane might very well have been modified because it was our
understanding that they used it for aerial photography in normal
operation. I would imagine that would be a 337 if so.

Can't really see why piper would have made it removable.

Bertie

It might very well have been done in the field. This particular Cub

was
used for photo shoots by the FBO as well as a rental, so it makes

sense
they would have done a 337 on the stick. Anyone shooting from the back
seat with several cameras would find a stick in their way for sure.
I've had photographers show up with so many cameras they could pass

for
a Japanese tourist :-)

A friend of mine took some photographer up in a 150 with the right door
removed for some air to air photography. The photographer got so
absorbed in his shoot that he undid his belt and ended up hanging out of
the airplane. I mean out! Standing on the gear leg and hanging on to the
strut.

Well, so I was told.

Bertie

Old February 11th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in news:
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Anything for the shot! :-)) Remember that picture some time back of the
pilot standing on the wheel of his Cub propping it in flight? :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 11th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in news:
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
[...]

Well, he was a barnstromer who did that all the time. I have another pic
in some book or other of the same guy doing that in a Rearwin Junior or
something. Might have been an American Eaglet or a MonoPrep, though. A
little parasol three cylinder airplane anyhow.

Bertie
Old February 11th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cool. Someset, Dorset, A35?

I've only flown one Jodel. It's an amazing airplane. A 1040, I think.
100hp, originally a Potez, but the guy got tired of finding parts so he put
an O-200 in it. It sould actually carry four out of a short field and three
with full fuel which was about 6 hours IIRC. cruised at about 100knots as
well.Why would anyone fly a 150 after having met one of those?

Bertie

Mine's a D-11. All wood, fabric cover. A-65 Continental. 85 kt
cruise. Two seats. Good STOL airplane unless it's a high DA day and at
gross. 15 gallons and 4 or 5 GPH, so not a lot of range.
Even this one makes a 150 look anemic.

Dan

Old February 12th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:43:52 -0500, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

training. A wonderful guy, and a great pilot. Never had a bad word for
anyone about anyone.
The cotter pin should have been checked secured before the display but
for some unknown reason it was missed.

I was taking dual in a Rearwin Jr back in the 30's. Came across the
fence and was starting to flare and pulled the stick out of its holder
on floor. Bird kind of fell to ground and dribbled down the R/W and I
kept straight with rudder until stopped. (My best landing of the day
) I then poked the instructor in the back and said what should I do
with this. He said when did that come out and I said as I was trying
to flare and his cigar went from one side of his face to the other, He
reached around and stuck stick in socket and gave it a 180 degree
turn and said lets go try that again. Some times your lucky and some
times your not.

Big John

Good By Roger Long Piloting 16 March 9th 06 02:28 AM
Good-bye, My Good Friend Capt.Doug Home Built 2 August 12th 05 02:47 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Good Good America Chris Mark Military Aviation 4 July 9th 04 05:25 PM
good-bye franck jeamourra Owning 0 December 2nd 03 07:51 AM