What does SCB stand for?

Old January 12th 04, 11:05 PM
Harriet and John

Default What does SCB stand for?

What does SCB (as in SCB-27C - the steam catapult conversion) stand for?

Old January 12th 04, 11:47 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Harriet and John" wrote:

What does SCB (as in SCB-27C - the steam catapult conversion) stand for?

Only a feather-merchant bureaucrat would need to know that. Are you
boning up to be a feather-merchant bureaucrat?

[Beware. I could tell you, but then the Bureaucratic Code would
require me to inundate you with all the paperwork involved in {what
was it you were asking after - oh, yes} SCB-27C. A fate much worse
than that required under SNM Standard Answer #1, which involves a
quick and relatively painless death.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 13th 04, 01:56 AM
Harriet and John

Actually, I'm giving a presentation on the background of my new book and
have elected to go into Navy procurement issues in the late forties and
early fifties. The USS United States comes up, of course, and I wanted to
show that beginning with the 27C upgrades, a long progression started ending
in the present carrier configuration (which are far and beyond the USS US
1,000'/65K ton daydream). Anyway, I just got to wondering, suppose somebody
asks me what the 27C means? I once thought it might be based on CV-27, but
that was the ole CVL-27 Langley. Anyway, what does it mean?

John McIntyre

The Last Boomerang
A Novel of the Cold War
ISBN 1-4107-9876-3 (paper) -5 (cloth)
Available at 1stBooks, B&N, Amazon and ISBN.com websites or at
1-888-280-7715

Old January 13th 04, 01:58 AM
Thomas Schoene

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
"Harriet and John" wrote:

What does SCB (as in SCB-27C - the steam catapult conversion) stand
for?

Only a feather-merchant bureaucrat would need to know that. Are you
boning up to be a feather-merchant bureaucrat?

Well, then I guess I'll mark myself as a feather merchant (again).

SCB stands for Ship Characteristics Board. The SCB set ship requirements
(speed, armament, armor, range, etc), which in turn determined their
characteristics (dimensions, displacement, and so forth). The SCB numbers
indicate the requirements document that led to a sopecific ship or
modification.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old January 16th 04, 11:25 PM

Ship's Cover is a file that contains all the paperwork that is related to
the design of a warship and to its subsequent modification, repairs, battle
damage, modernizations etc. If a study is being made of a specific class of
ship, consulting the Ship's Cover is the primary source of reference for how
and why that ship ended up the way she did.

Typically, the Ship's Cover will start with the specification issued to the
design office. Then there will be whole strings of outline designs exploring
varying options. There will be memos from the engineering staff and the gun
designers on what options they can offer, the minutes of meetings in which
varying aspects of the design are discussed, ideas proposed and rejected,
the merits of varying design compromises evaluated. The whole design process
is carefully documented and (eventually) the reasons why the final design
selected was favored are summarized. Readers won't find such things as
detailed blueprints (although there will be detailed general arrangement
drawings) nor will they usually find accounts of gun design etc. There will
also be less formal documents like details of wagers between members of the
design staff as to whether (for example) a ship will meet her design speed
on trials and the outcome of those wagers. Finally, the results of the
ship's trials and comments from her first crew are included.

Obviously, this is a pretty voluminous document but a complete Ship's Cover
is an incredibly valuable resource. The Covers on a lot of the 1920s and
1930s British ships are substantially complete so readers know exactly why
they were designed the way they were.

Sadly, not all covers are this complete and some are missing completely (for
example the Cover on the British E-class cruisers was destroyed by bombing
in 1941 and was restarted in 1942 so we know very little about why those
ships were designed or the various options open to their design staff - most
of what is "accepted" in this area is hypothetical). In the US, Ship's
Covers are held by the Ship's Characteristics Board (SCB) and many designs
are actually known by the SCB number of their Ship's Cover (thus the
modified Essex class with angles deck and steam catapults are known as
SCB-27C).

Old January 17th 04, 01:12 AM
Thomas Schoene

V wrote:
Ship's Cover is a file that contains all the paperwork that is
related to the design of a warship and to its subsequent

[snip]

Not cool. The entire post was copied without attribution from:

http://www.warships1.com/index_tech/tech-012.htm

Old January 17th 04, 03:04 AM
Jake Donovan

Tom,

You beat me to the punch! Good job!

V, get a life and stop ripping off others work.

Jake

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old January 18th 04, 12:49 AM

You REALLY think cutting and pasting something with out giving credit for
someone else's personal use is ripping off! Get a life, I didn't claim to
have come up with it! The originator asked for help, I remembered seeing
the topic, so I cut and pasted it for him. I didn't claim to have made it
up or researched it. I didn't profit monetarily or personally. He didn't
say thanks or send me a check in the mail, nor did I expect it. This isn't a
college course or a professional journal where a plagiarism issue is at
stake. It looks as if you and your crony have nothing better to do than
check for dotted i's and crossed t's on a damn newsgroup. So for god's
sake, get a life and come down off of your high horse. It's only a
newsgroup!

Old January 18th 04, 01:10 AM
John Miller

V wrote to Jake:
You REALLY think cutting and pasting something with out giving credit for
someone else's personal use is ripping off!

Attribution, even in circumstances where it isn't required by law (not going
there) is only courteous.

The courteous response from you to Jake would have been,
"Thank you for pointing that out."

--
John Miller
Mustang

Old January 18th 04, 03:52 AM
Jake Donovan

Actually, It is against the law. Do some research. People think if it is
on the Internet, it is "True, Factual and free to use." It's not. Do a
Google search on copyrights and the internet.

Here is one to start with. http://www.groton.k12.ct.us/mts/pt2a.htm

Just so you don't have to read the several hour of reading it would take
you, I'll sum it up.

Nothing printed on the Internet or on Newgroups is PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it
specifically says so or you have written permission from the author to use
it. (Current US Copyright Law.)

Crony? If you mean anyone who points out to you that something is amiss
about verbatim cut an paste, he can be my "Crony" anytime.

As for my "High Horse", I routinely ride my stead at high altitudes but
always bring her back down and dismount. (For 30 years)

Jake

PS - I have a life, pretty damn nice one at that.

Make sure the water is deep enough before you dive in.