Narrowing it down... Comanche?

Old February 20th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Narrowing it down... Comanche?

Hello, Folks:

You may remember my posting of 3 Jan, titled "Resource for choosing a
plane?" ]. I got quite a
bit of help & pointers from this group (along with a few requisite wise-ass
remarks!), for which I'm very grateful.

Since then, I've done a bit of homework. I've bought & read Clarke's _The
Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Used Airplanes_, 6th ed.; Ellis' _Buying and
Owning Your Own Airplane_, 3rd ed.; and Wanttaja's _Airplane Ownership_.
I've also been reading every GA magazine I can find, as well as print &
online versions of "Trade-A-Plane," "Aero Trader," etc. Oh, yeah--been
keeping up on this board, too.

My conclusion? Well, still written in Jell-O--but, the best bang/$ model
meeting my requirements appears to be...: Piper Comanche (PA-24-xxx)
[deliberately holding off on engine for the moment].

So, once again, I'd like to solicit some thoughts from the group. Following
are some of my thoughts--I'd love to have any opinions (especially
difference-of-opinion), corrections, or additions you may have.

- I ended up eliminating all fixed gear/fixed prop models I saw because few
could meet my speed & useful load requirements, especially at my high
altitude (Colorado Springs). The hardest one for me to get away from was
the Grumman-American Tiger (AA-5B) [has the speed & load, but marginal climb
and a narrow cabin discouraged me; I got my PP ticket in these and have a
soft spot for 'em], followed closely by the Piper Cherokee 180
(PA-28-180/181) line [marginal speed, marginal climb--but certainly appears
to be the "sweet spot" on the used market, and I have several hours in
these, too]. Can anyone prove me wrong on these, especially on my
climb-at-altitude concern?

- Several fixed gear/cs prop models fit the bill. I like the numbers of
the Piper Cherokee 235 (PA-28-235/236) line and the Piper Cherokee Six
(PA-32-260/300/301) line. Ultimately, the bang/buck thing has me leaning to
the Comanche. Comments on that position?

- Other retracts caught my eye, besides the Comanche. I like the PA-28R
"Arrow" line as much as the fixed-gear Cherokees, and the same goes for the
PA-32R versions of the "Six" line. Bang/buck again. One extremely sexy
(albeit somewhat pricier) retract alternative is the EADS/Socata Trinidad
(TB-20)--if I can't find a Comanche (assuming that's my final target) for
the right price, I may set my sights on a Trinidad.
-- Many of the planes I eliminated in this category were due to cost,
either acquisition or operating (typically both). I like the numbers of the
Beech 33, 35, and 36 series, but serious bucks to buy and own (and, in my
book, that throw-over control and backward configuration fall into the
"weird" category I'm trying to avoid). What about the Beech 24 series?
Couldn't find much on them....
-- Money also an issue on the Rockwell/Commanders and the Diamonds.
-- One obvious contender I bypassed here is the Mooneys. I'm ready for
contrary opinions here, but my reading seems to indicate that early models
will be claustrophobic, at best; the "middle" models (the M20J) start
getting better but have marginal useful loads; and the "later" models have
all you could want but are big bucks....
-- Two other marques that have intrigued me are Meyers and Navion--but,
I can't find any significant info on either one. Is that a sign that
they're too rare for serious consideration (since I deliberately want to
stay "mainstream" my first time out)? Opinions on these?

So, Comanche is leading the pack. Reading my list above, I seem to be
prejudiced in favor of Pipers--I don't know if that's a reflection of me or
of how well those models seem to fit my needs & preferences. Do I have
blinders on?

Among the Comanches: after toying with the idea of the 400, I calmed down.
The 180s seem like a steal, but the useful load is marginal and I worry
about the climb-at-altitude. So, I'm down to the 250/260/260B/260C
decision--but I'm holding off on that for the moment.

Before I burn too many brain bytes or go too far down the rabbit hole, I'm
hoping for either confirmation or contradiction of my thought processes
here. If you've read this far, you must have at least SOME opinions to
share...! Thanks for any help or advice you have to give.
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old February 20th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Looks like one is available there right now...

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/airpla...500/53705.html

Old February 20th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug, Doug, Doug,

Why do you feel it necessary to make the "low wing" error? Don't you
know that's giving in to the dark side?

Old February 21st 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

-- One obvious contender I bypassed here is the Mooneys. I'm ready for
contrary opinions here, but my reading seems to indicate that early models
will be claustrophobic, at best; the "middle" models (the M20J) start
getting better but have marginal useful loads; and the "later" models have
all you could want but are big bucks....

What was your price point again ? I doubt you'll be claustrophobic in
any Mooney. They all have tremendous legroom for front seat passengers
and the cabin width is equal to or wider than any other single engine GA
airplane (Cirrus not withstanding). A Mooney 231 if it fits your price
point is worth a look and the 'E' model if a 231 is too much $$$. All
Mooneys have +/- 1000 lb useful load. I am biased, flying a Bravo now
and "C" model previously.
---
Ken Reed
N9124X
Old February 21st 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

".Blueskies." wrote in message
. com...
Looks like one is available there right now...

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/airpla...500/53705.html

Thanks for the pointer. I've seen this one on some classified site or
other. I may try to look at it as a tire-kicker, but I'm shying away from
turbo-charging (baby-steps for the first-time buyer). On this as every
aspect of my first plane, I'm happy to have opinions pro or con....

Looks like a beautiful airplane, though a bit above my self-imposed $100K
range....

Old February 21st 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"skym" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doug, Doug, Doug,

Why do you feel it necessary to make the "low wing" error? Don't you
know that's giving in to the dark side?

Heh. Call me Anakin, then--having flown both, I prefer the low wing.
Handling primarily, visibility a close second, and just plain "looks like an
airplane oughtta look"! I looked at the C185 and C210, but decided at
the end of the day, I'd just prefer the low-wing.....

(ducking & covering now--been around enough to know this is largely a
religious choice!)

Old February 21st 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Ken Reed" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Ken:

The legroom fits with what I've read--but, otherwise, you're the first
source who *doesn't* say the Mooney is "a tight fit," "like getting into a
sports car," "you wear it," etc. M20s have a 43" cabin width from what I've
read--compare to 45" for the Comanche (and 50" for the Trinidad, part of
what gets me drooling over that plane). Are my figures off??

I'm trying to get away with less than $100K--which will get me some of the
lesser 201/J models from what I'm seeing, or any of the earlier models. The
1,000 useful load is a bit lower than what I want--I want to carry 4 real
people and cruise for 4 hours @ 150 mph (600 sm) or better. That
"requirement" isn't written in stone, but it's the mission on which I based
my initial search.

No worries on being "biased," opinions are what I want/need here!
Thanks....

Old February 21st 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug,

Make sure your cost estimates are carefully considered. I don't know
much about the Comaches, but have owned a 1978 Arrow, 1984 Bonanza and a
1968 C-172. Vintage retracts can cost a lot in maintenance, even if the
initial price is low. Everyone who has bought an old twin sees this.

Did you consider a Cessna 182? It's probably more initially, but
insurance and maintenance will likely be less. Appreciation may possibly
be greater with a 182, so that's where you need to sharpen your pencil.
As an investor, I'd rather take my chances on a C-182 than a Comanche.

Also, if you pay $20k more for a C-182, yet $800 less in insurance and
$1000 less in annual maintenance, isn't that a better deal? Even if you
get different numbers, don't contaminate the initial cost estimate,
which you likely get back upon resale, with the operating cost, which
you never see back again.

You seem tilted toward a low-wing, which is easier to land in gusty
crosswinds, but a heavier high-wing, like the 182, isn't that bad.
Panel lighting on the Cessnas is generally primitive, but that can be
fixed. Also, two doors are great.

Good luck.

John T.

Old February 22nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-02-21, Douglas Paterson wrote:

The legroom fits with what I've read--but, otherwise, you're the first
source who *doesn't* say the Mooney is "a tight fit," "like getting into a
sports car," "you wear it," etc. M20s have a 43" cabin width from what I've
read--compare to 45" for the Comanche (and 50" for the Trinidad, part of
what gets me drooling over that plane). Are my figures off??

I considered M20s and flew an M20J (or was it a K) before buying a
Comanche. I'm 6'4" and there was enough legroom in the Mooney to make
up for the low seat, but just barely. I also fly the Comanche with
the seat all the way back (a guy down the hangar row from me is 6'5"
and had his seatrails drilled so he could move even farther back).
The Comanche gives you more opportunities to shift positions during
cruise flight, which is nice.

You've really got to sit in a plane to know for sure. For example,
I don't fit in an Apache. I could fly at cruise all day, but for
landing with my toes on the rudder and the throttle most of the way
back, there was no way to clear my knee with the yoke.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 22nd 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"kontiki" wrote in message
Douglas Paterson wrote:
--Stuff snipped--

It sounds as though you have done a pretty thorough job of analyzing and
summarizing the situation. I did a similar thing a couple of years ago and
ended up bying myself a Comanche 250. I don't regret that decision and
still
today I think the PA24 is an excellent bang for the buck. However, if you
are one of those people that aren't willing (or knowledgable enough) to do
some minor maintenance or learn about the systems on your own airplane you
are better off buying a newer airplane (a LOT newer!). As long as you are
performing the proper maintenance and understand the essential systems the
PA24 is a solid airplane made to fly for many thousands of hours, haul a
good load at speeds obtainable only by much high priced competitors.

"Willing"? Quite--eager, in fact; from what I've read, owner-assisted mx is
the way to go, not only to save money but to better know what's "going on
under the hood."

"Knowledgeable" is a different story; I'm learning from the ground-up here.
My small-airplane experience has been solely renting up to now, and a good
10 years out of date to boot. I'm taking care of the currency issue by
starting to fly w/ the local aero club, but I won't become an overnight
mechanic by doing that! Are you suggesting that a high level of A&P-ish
knowledge is a prerequisite to owning an older airplane--or is the
willingness to learn enough?

Thanks!