Sun N Fun '07 Redux

Old April 23rd 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Sun N Fun '07 Redux

"Roger (K8RI)" wrote

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

Can your justify a jet turbine costing more than a turbo prop? Are not jet
turbine aircraft much more safe, mile per mile?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 24th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:32:07 -0600, Newps wrote:

I have a friend who owned a Citation for many years. The insurance was
$90K per year. He also owned a Caravan on amphibs, that ran $45K per
year for insurance. Another friend has a Caravan on wheels, that only
costs $35K per year.

I can understand the jet (high due to being a jet and the number of
seats) and the Caravan on floats, but on wheels that is almost twice
what they quoted me for a TBM 700 with the Caravan costing less and
being considerably slower.

The Caravan on wheels price may reflect that it is the company plane.
The company makes small diameter tubing for the auto industry in
Michigan and was a cost effective way of owning a Caravan. I should ask
him what he pays for the Turbine 210, that's a personal bird I believe.

Old April 24th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

RST Engineering wrote:
No problem. I'll give T-shirts away at my forum this year to any female
willing to take her shirt off and put mine on during the forum ... on stage.

Even if she has two shirts on? :-)
Old April 24th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary and I just returned from 6 glorious days at Sun N Fun in
Lakeland, FL.

Me too, but only 4 days. In addition to the airshows and static displays, I
took in a couple of workshops where I learned a little about metal shaping
and welding. Also, I visited the Aircraft Spruce display and had 'em ship
me about $200 in aviation odds and ends - filters, plugs, wrenches, etc.

I have a buddy who drives to the show and provides ground transportation.
It is great to have "wheels", because there are plenty of restaurants within
a 10 minute drive of the grounds, and the wait times are nonexistent. We
left the show at lunchtime a couple of days and were back in an hour or
so... There are several grocery close by as well. The local Publix has a
Kitfox on display as you walk into the store. And they have steamed shrimp.
Campers at adjacent campsites were very jealous... Shrimp and beer...mmmm

I had a couple of brushes with the media at the show. In one case, I'd just
had my buddy take my picture with the "Zoom Free Zone" sign at the CGS booth
in the ultralight area. Walking back through the antique area, I gave my
buddy the rundown on the business practices and ethics of Jim Campbell, and
how (and why) he is banned from SnF. As I finished the story, a guy who'd
been sort of walking along with us introduced himself as a writer/reporter
from Avweb. He said he didn't dare to comment on Jim Campbell or ANN, but
was just happy that I wasn't giving Avweb the same "treatment". I commented
to him that I appreciate Avweb, but that I'd love to see Avweb add some of
the irreverence (his word was snarkyness) back to its writing. He indicated
that they had to be careful, but that they do plan to add back some of that
content.

Later, we were in the Flying Magazine booth and someone asked if I was a
subscriber (not anymore - dropped the subscription recently) and would I
care to resubscribe. I told him "No thanks, the magazine's focus has moved
way, way upscale. Today's content is all jets and $100,000 instrument
panels" Then I pointed to the array of recent issues spread out on the table
for review - every one of 'em had a corporate jet on the cover... Of
course, I was probably talking to a hired gun for the airshow, but it would
be really nice if the folks who run Flying would throw the $100,000 (and
sub - $50,000) airplane crowd a few bones in each issue...

Completing a nice 4 day vacation, there was a 10 or 15 knot tailwind for my
trip home in nice blue skies (other than the smoke in South Georgia).

KB

Old April 24th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Judah

Jay Honeck wrote in news:1177261684.540467.127180
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Nice write-up.

NEXPO was in Orlando this past week. I had hoped to sneak away to Lakeland,
but ended up being WAY too busy to pull it off.
Old April 24th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

It is great to have "wheels", because there are plenty of restaurants within
a 10 minute drive of the grounds, and the wait times are nonexistent.

Yeah, we were lucky to have (occasional) wheels, too, thanks to our
buds at Flying Colors Glass. We ate off-site several times, and hit
the local Winn-Dixie grocery store once. But it sure would have been
nice if that danged camp store had been open more, mostly for ice and
beverages.

Later, we were in the Flying Magazine booth and someone asked if I was a
subscriber (not anymore - dropped the subscription recently) and would I
care to resubscribe. I told him "No thanks, the magazine's focus has moved
way, way upscale. Today's content is all jets and $100,000 instrument
panels"

They tried to get me to extend, to which I replied that I was already
receiving TWO subscriptions, thanks to the LAST time I "extended" my
subscription at their tent at OSH. That's right, instead of extending
your current subscription, they will start another one, just to pad
their numbers.

And woe to anyone who actually tries to call "Flying" mag's
circulation department to get the situation corrected! It's been
totally farmed out to the same bozos that are selling subs at SNF and
OSH, and they rarely answer.

Completing a nice 4 day vacation, there was a 10 or 15 knot tailwind for my
trip home in nice blue skies (other than the smoke in South Georgia).

We saw a bit of those fires on our way through. Up at 8500 feet it
didn't matter, but it sure looked hazy down lower...

Great show! I wish I never had to leave...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("Jack Allison" wrote)
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Perhaps the "Black" half of
the duo from the Twin Cities conveniently arranged to send "Mont" your way
and paid the kids a handsome price to watch him for a week :-)

That's closer to the truth than you realize. g

Montblack

Old April 24th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
K Baum

24 to 32 THOUSAND???

Are you sure?

Wow.

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.
--
Jay Honeck

Jay, this reminds me of a time in GA when insurance for certain
operations/types simply wasnt available at ANY price. I think what the
VLJ manufacturers are doing is a great proactive way to sell even more
jets. For anyone in RAP land who might be looking to try this mentor
pilot program, the requirements were pretty low. I dont recall what
the Diamond people wanted, but the Eclipse people only wanted to see
1000 multi and 500 turbine. Seems like an easy way to make some extra
spendoolies as a side job. I have mentored a few polits over the years
and it was fun (Got to fly to some interesting places too).

Old April 24th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Morgans wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually for
insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

I had no idea that it was so expensive to insure jets.

I have a hard time seeing how they will ever be able to get the cost down
low enough to make air taxi service with the VLJ's affordable.

Eclipse is quoting around $32K for full coverage on it's 500 for a "fully
qualified pilot" (ie, something around 2000+/500 hour pilot), or $64K for a
newbie.

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/ownership/insurance/

Old April 24th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Matt Barrow wrote:
Morgans wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Well, Jim, the average Cirrus pilot is paying $10 - $15K annually
for insurance, from what I've been told.

Makes my $1200/year seem positively reasonable.

I had no idea that it was so expensive to insure jets.

I have a hard time seeing how they will ever be able to get the cost
down low enough to make air taxi service with the VLJ's affordable.

Eclipse is quoting around $32K for full coverage on it's 500 for a
"fully qualified pilot" (ie, something around 2000+/500 hour pilot),
or $64K for a newbie.

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/ownership/insurance/

If I'm doing the math right that's about 2% of hull value for the "fully
qualified pilot" and 4% for a newbie. Sounds about right. I was checking
insurance costs for the 601XL I'm building and was quoted $445.00/year on a
$40K hull cost.

Sun N Fun '07 Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 74 May 2nd 07 12:06 AM
The Pledge redux Viperdoc Piloting 7 March 9th 07 10:58 AM
CSA Redux? sid Naval Aviation 19 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Sun N Fun Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 24th 04 01:44 PM
CSA Redux? sid Military Aviation 9 April 18th 04 08:14 AM