Siezed aircraft

Old April 28th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson

Default Siezed aircraft

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
et...
I'll bet that bird's a bitch to get into a 2500' unlit grass strip at
night.

... I heard that hundreds of
mothballed 737's have been bought up by these guys now.

Matter of perspective....

http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?i...anding26hk.jpg

http://www.myflightblog.com/archives/000096.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1khgtadCIY

(I have no connection to any of these sites/blogs, I just enjoyed
watching/reading about it)
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old April 29th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Holy Cow!!! Where was this taken? This has to be a taxiway doesn't it - no
runway edge markings.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Douglas Paterson" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 29th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
. net...
Holy Cow!!! Where was this taken? This has to be a taxiway doesn't it - no
runway edge markings.

Rand Airport in South Africa (according to the accompanying text). And, no,
that's the 50'-wide runway they're on. Do the math, that's less than 5' of
pavement on either side of the mains...!

Old April 29th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-29 05:59:30 -0700, Mike Spera said:

wrote:

Good day, I understand that the seized aircraft that are used for drug
running are often sold or auctioned. I am particularly interested in
Cessna 172's. Does anybody have any contact or website details on
these aircraft?

A collegue of mine who I have lost contact with bought a King Air from
this source once.

As others have posted, 172s are not the airplane of choice for this
mission. Also, these airplanes do not come with logbooks, may have not
been maintained or operated "well", and may wind up being stolen and
rebadged. None of this points to a good deal in my view.

Aircraft purchased this way may be a good deal if they are to be used
as parts. But, without logbooks that may make many parts untraceable
and/or unusable. I have not seen a whole lot of discussion of the topic.

Good Luck,
Mike

If the government seized them, it owns them. The former owners have no
claim on the aircraft, even if it was stolen. You cannot buy an
aircraft at a government auction and then have some former owner come
up and say it belongs to him. The title is clean at that point.

Logs, documents, and maintenance are another matter.

Whatever the reason, the government does seize 172s and other small
planes and it auctions them off quite frequently. The idea that small
planes are not used for smuggling is total nonsense.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old April 29th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-04-28 13:56:11 -0700, "Douglas Paterson"
said:

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
et...
I'll bet that bird's a bitch to get into a 2500' unlit grass strip at
night.

... I heard that hundreds of
mothballed 737's have been bought up by these guys now.

Matter of perspective....

http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?i...anding26hk.jpg

http://www.myflightblog.com/archives/000096.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1khgtadCIY

(I have no connection to any of these sites/blogs, I just enjoyed
watching/reading about it)

The YouTube video of the landing was spectacular.

Old May 3rd 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 27, 11:46 am, wrote:
Good day, I understand that the seized aircraft that are used for drug
running are often sold or auctioned. I am particularly interested in
Cessna 172's. Does anybody have any contact or website details on
these aircraft?

I don't think 172's are very popular with drug runners. You may get a
good deal on a really piece of junk 210 though. Drug runners don't do
good annual inspections, AD compliance, etc. I heard that hundreds of
mothballed 737's have been bought up by these guys now.

-robert

Great Book, http://www.spikefly.com/crop.php was a fun read!