Navy jet rolls into S.D. Bay on landing

Old August 28th 04, 03:19 AM
Otis Willie

Default Navy jet rolls into S.D. Bay on landing

Navy jet rolls into S.D. Bay on landing

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...7m27plane.html

{EXCERPT}, by David E. Graham UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 27, 2004

A Navy fighter jet ended up in San Diego Bay last night after it ran
out of runway while landing at North Island Naval Air Station.

The lone pilot ejected before the plane hit the water, and he ended up
in the bay and was pulled from the water, officials said. The pilot,
apparently uninjured, told rescuers...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
(310) 532-0634
Old August 28th 04, 05:01 AM
Elmshoot

I love the part about "Lucky" being painted on the side of the plane. In the
photo there is no squadron markings on the tail. Have they been removed?
I have seen two planes with my name on them end up in class A mishaps. I never
was a fan of my name on the side of the plane.
Sparky
Old August 28th 04, 02:37 PM
Pechs1

Why North Island-rework?

Also wonder why he didn't just takeoff again after he realized he had no
brakes..but monday monring QBing is ohh so easy.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 28th 04, 03:23 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Pechs1
wrote:

Why North Island-rework?

Also wonder why he didn't just takeoff again after he realized he had no
brakes..but monday monring QBing is ohh so easy.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Or drop the hook and roll into the long field gear.... As you say MMQB
is easy
Pugs
Old August 28th 04, 05:47 PM
Mike Kanze

I love the part about "Lucky" being painted on the side of the plane.

Reminds me of the joke "lost dog" poster one sees every so often:

"LOST DOG - One eye, cauliflower ear, mangy matted coat with many scars,
gimpy left rear leg and crooked tail. Indeterminate breed ('Heinz 57
Varieties'). Mostly toothless, castrated. Answers to the name of 'Lucky.'"

--
Mike Kanze

"He (John Kerry) said, it is unconscionable to use the tragic memory of a
war in order to get elected, unless of course, it's the Vietnam War."

- Jay Leno

Old August 28th 04, 06:39 PM
Larry

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
I love the part about "Lucky" being painted on the side of the plane. In

the
photo there is no squadron markings on the tail. Have they been removed?
I have seen two planes with my name on them end up in class A mishaps. I

never
was a fan of my name on the side of the plane.
Sparky

'Sparky' said: I never was a fan of my name on the side of the plane.

You don't have personalized plates on your car do you? :-)

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old August 29th 04, 01:31 AM
Thomas Schoene

Allen Epps wrote:
In article , Pechs1
wrote:

Why North Island-rework?

Also wonder why he didn't just takeoff again after he realized he
had no brakes..but monday monring QBing is ohh so easy.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat
Buckeye Phlyer

Or drop the hook and roll into the long field gear.... As you say MMQB
is easy
Pugs

Further to this, the San Diego Union-Tribune now reports that the plane had
diverted due to low fuel while conducting carrier qualifications. So
perhaps he had cut it so fine that he didn't have enough gas for a second
circuit. That would explain why he didn't take off when he discovered lost
braking. Why he didn't take the field arrestment is still anyone's guess;
maybe he just didn't have the presence of mind to drop the hook again (the
gear would be rigged all the time, yes?). Or could the same thing that
killed the brakes (hydraulics failure?) do the hook as well?

The good news is that it's a short trip to the F/A-18 repair facilities. If
you're going to break a plane, having the decency to do it right outside the
shop is nice. :-)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m28crash.html

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old August 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Larry

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
Allen Epps wrote:
In article , Pechs1
wrote:

[...]

The hook is released mechanicly and held down with 'dashpot air' (nitrogen
preload to prevent hook skip).