Sailplane Classes - a different perspective

Old December 1st 04, 09:52 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tim Taylor wrote:

I think the number of classes has gotten out of hand also. My memory
is getting bad, but I thought when the 18M class was proposed the 15M
class was suppose to be phased out.

I think there was some talk about it, but nothing serious, because it
was such a popular class.

The logic for creating the standard class was we needed an inexpensive
class of glider so ships without flaps should were thought to fit that
bill.

It was a lot more than flaps: the main limitation for cost control was
the 15 meter span, as the gliders back then (1950's) were tending to get
bigger and more expensive (no span limitations). In addition, fixed gear
was specified, and I think even radios were prohibited.

How much difference is there between the cost of a 15M and
Standard today? Not much.

I'd like to see them combined and handicaps used to equalize them, like
in the Club Class.

18M was proposed as the optimum wingspan to performance to cost
solution and it was suppose to become the "racing class" in the future
and replace the 15M.

I think it was more about giving motorgliders a class they could compete
in, as the greater span would make up for the weight of the motor.

Instead we now have both. As some have noted,
often the 15M ships are faster than the 18M's on any given day.

It is time to reduce the classes back down to a reasonable number; I
think standard, 15 and 18 should be combined into a "racing class"
again and with maximum wingspan of 18M. Change the "world class" to a
sub 13M class and have the open class. Then the only thing needed is
a "sports" or "club" class for those learning or flying older ships
that need a handicap.

While the idea of fewer, but more distinct, classes is appealing, I'm
wondering what problem we are trying to solve by doing so? I'd rather
see all classes become like the Club Class, with maybe 5 performance
ranges, each with it's handicap list to equalize the performance within
a class. THat way, the gliders offered by the manufacturers could be
whatever they thought people most desired, and not arbitrary sizes like
15 meters, 18 meters, etc. For example, if a manufacturer thought a 17
meter glider could give the best value, it could sold without the
disadvantage of not quite fitting into the 18 meter class.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 2nd 04, 08:02 PM
Mark James Boyd

Amen. Both the world class and sports class seem to provide
wonderful stepping stones and low barriers to entry.

Especially for youth...

In article ,
John H. Campbell wrote:
Just, for Pete's sake, keep the Sports Class, which is the non-class or
all-class, thank you. Libertarian class, "I respect your decision on what
to fly" class. After all the theorizing and the social engineering and the
enforcing of arbitrary fashions, there will always be left-over people
(hmm... like paraglider pilots turned Sparrohawk fans?) whose aesthetic or
aerodynamic opinion, wallet, access, whatever, leaves them wedded to some
"dis-enfranchised" mount ("rare", "old", "non-mainstream", "orphaned",
"one-design", who cares?). Or furthermore, unattached people who alternate,
share, borrow, train in various ships. Let them feel welcome to achieve and
compete with the rest. In a big country with a small spread-out fleet, you
at least stand a chance of pulling enough pilots together to make a contest
possible.

--

Mark J. Boyd