Aspen Avionics

Old December 18th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Aspen Avionics

I was intrigued at Oshkosh with Aspen Avionics gyro and hsi steam gauge
replacements. They have a LCD solid-state ADHRS gyro and HSI that fits into
the same slots as the steam gauges. Anybody have any experience with these
instruments? Are they shipping yet? I assume they are using these new ADHRS
and GPS on a chip. What kind of tests have these devices been through?

Old December 18th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Anybody have any experience with these
instruments? Are they shipping yet?

Have you asked Aspen? Their webpage doesn't list completed certification under
news.

I assume they are using these new ADHRS
and GPS on a chip. What kind of tests have these devices been through?

They'll be FAA certified. For me, that will work.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 20th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

Aspen updated the release date of their PFD to the end of the first quarter
of 2008 with shipments to begin in April. See the update letter at

Ah, ok. So make it OSH 2008...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 21st 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

It's amazing to me that they can put a ADHRS on a chip, but that's what
they're doing. I did some internet searching and pretty much found the chip
(made in South Korea as I recall), but I didn't save the link.

I would be interested to know how the FAA goes about certifying an ADHRS on
a chip. (I think I've got that acronym right.)

Old December 21st 07, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

I would be interested to know how the FAA goes about certifying an ADHRS on
a chip. (I think I've got that acronym right.)

I think they have done that already for the G1000 and the Avidyne Entegra and
the Chelton and...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 21st 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:29:52 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

I would be interested to know how the FAA goes about certifying an ADHRS on
a chip. (I think I've got that acronym right.)

I think they have done that already for the G1000 and the Avidyne Entegra and
the Chelton and...

The G1000 has an AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System) and an
external ADC (Air Data Computer). The Aspen thing seems to have an
ADAHRS (Air Data Attitude Heading Reference System) - the ADC is built
in. Can't speak to the Chelton, but the Entegra seems to have a
full-size ADAHRS
(http://www.avidyne.com/products/ente...tionality.shtm) - maybe
there's only 1 chip in there with all the rest being the plumbing, but
it seems to be significantly physically larger than the Aspen box.
Old December 26th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:03:10 +0000, Peter
wrote:

If you have an autopilot, the old attitude indicator must remain in
place to provide pitch/roll information to the autopilot. The Aspen
people are not interested (for the moment) for certifying with any
autopilot.

Of course that only applies to attitude based autopilots, not
rate-based autipilots, which most of the people here would have (a-la
ones which pull from the turn coordinator - from what I can tell
everything S-Tec, and the KAP140). From what I can tell, in the
market they're looking at, the KFC225 and the like is an exception
rather than the rule.
Old December 27th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

If you have an autopilot, the old attitude indicator must remain in
place to provide pitch/roll information to the autopilot.

Get an S-TEC and you'll lose both the problem with the AI requirement
and the burnt gyro problem.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)