An open message to the group.

Old July 16th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default An open message to the group.

"Harold" Harold.and.a.bit.more@clotmail wrote in message
u...

Ditto. I'm also on Optusnet dial up, and was noticing the same thing. It
was getting to the stage that some of the binaries postings were only
being retained for what seemed like three hours, after which they were
being deleted from the server.

As I said earlier; on Bogplod (aka Bigpond), I only got about 4 of the
parts.

Old July 17th 08, 01:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

"Alan Erskine" wrote in
:

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
As far as eliminating part-posts, I'm sure you know the idea was to cut
a big file into smaller pieces making it easier for the server to
handle. All the NG readers I ever used, assemble the individual files
seamlessly. It doesn't get much easier than that.

The problem with breaking big files into smaller sections is that not
all of them come through. If it's under, say, 3mb, it shouldn't be a
problem for most people these days (I've had cable for over five years).
OE can sort files by size, in addition to sorting by subject, poster
etc; if people are on a dial-up modem, they can simply exclude files
that are too large (tools, message rules, "where the message size is a
certain size").

What a server accepts or is still in the process of putting up for
download is something I have no control over. After I posted the files
I checked and all were there. It took less than 20 seconds to upload
the file which is a fraction of my download rate, approximately 6meg.

Someone said it took forever. Boo! Hoo! get rid of the dialup. What
are posters required to do, offer a guarantee that all files download in
"X" amount of time?

I don't understand some peoples approach to a file sized at over 34,000
lines being good, but a movie file part at 8,000 lines is bad?

No, the nay-sayers are just upset because it's a file beyond their
ability to control or they don't understand it. I could double to 16K
per file slice making it more difficult to pass between servers, but
what good would that do?

The actual processing (transfers, timeouts and the like) between servers
are beyond a posters control. A simple picture file may not post to
other servers completely or at all. That's not the fault of a poster.

It would be nice if companies that maintain NG servers would decide once
and for all a uniform file size that any server could accept from posters
and also the transfer rates between servers.

This is a problem we have all faced even with simple posting and never
realized how much we were missing. One person says there is no problem
because according to him, he see's his 50 or so average posts a day come
through the system. On the other hand, I might recieve 90 or 100 a day.

There are spuratic problems with different systems not to mention that
NG providers are now filtering content and eliminating groups they
consider to be illegal.

I could upload it again as a test file and we can see if anything changes.

Old July 17th 08, 01:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in news:487dc9e0$0$30460
:

Just as a matter of interest my ISP down here in OZ only actually listed 3
of the 24 files that you had sent - so for some of us it is really a pain
not only able to see it, and hence pass comment on it's relevance etc, but
really is a waste of space on the news group.

Whenever I see a movie of any kind that I think the group would be
interested in I just simply post the link - saves a heap of angst.

see ya

Conscious Pilate

I understand your frustration but again, how am I accountable for what
a server passes to you or does not? I have read replies to original
messages posted in this NG which never posted on my server.

Is that the posters fault? Of course not, it's a server issue.

If you saw only 3 of 24 files on your server but I saw all 24 on my
server, does that suggest anything? No one likes to be teased and
normally I would have only posted a link. In this case it was a file
sent to me that I saved a few years ago. I could not provide a link
in this case.

The movie file was a silly spoof with cheesy animation that actually
won a few awards. Do you want me to repost the file and we can measure
what goes through? I'll mark it as a test file and scream "Fire in the
hole!" before I let it loose.

I already reported to my ISP the noticable lack of posts on my end.
Old July 17th 08, 02:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Conscious Pilate" wrote in
:

I understand your frustration but again, how am I accountable for what
a server passes to you or does not?

You're not; CP was just pointing it out. Several other people had the same
problem and that can be looked into by the various people.

I already reported to my ISP the noticable lack of posts on my end.

That's what most would do - talk (try anyway) to their ISP's and see what
happened.

Old July 17th 08, 09:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
russell

"Harold" Harold.and.a.bit.more@clotmail wrote in message
u...

"Chris D" wrote in message
u...
"Conscious Pilate" wrote in message
u...
Just as a matter of interest my ISP down here in OZ only actually listed
3 of the 24 files that you had sent - so for some of us it is really a
pain not only able to see it, and hence pass comment on it's relevance
etc, but really is a waste of space on the news group.

Whenever I see a movie of any kind that I think the group would be
interested in I just simply post the link - saves a heap of angst.

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Bloody Optusnet!!! I'm in the same boat too. Although, I was lucky enough
to get 4 out of 24. BTW did you have trouble downloading alt.binary NG
photo's in the last few weeks? It seems to have cleared up now. But at
one stage, I was only able to open 40% of posts. Very annoying.

Chris

Ditto. I'm also on Optusnet dial up, and was noticing the same thing. It
was getting to the stage that some of the binaries postings were only
being retained for what seemed like three hours, after which they were
being deleted from the server.

H.

I'm on Dodo and got 23, 11, 10 and 7.

Old July 17th 08, 11:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Conscious Pilate[_2_]

exactly the same numbers I got

and yes a week or so ago all I got was 'message no longer available' type
crap - it seems to happen every so often - so bloody frustrating

see ya

Conscious Pilate

Old July 17th 08, 01:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Chris D

"stanley adelson" wrote in message
VERY ANNOYING BECAUSE YOU BOTTOM POST

Sorry to hear your annoyed Stanley. But bottom posting a response or
comments is the generally accepted norm.

Regards....Chris

Old July 17th 08, 01:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in
u:

exactly the same numbers I got

and yes a week or so ago all I got was 'message no longer available'
type crap - it seems to happen every so often - so bloody frustrating

see ya

Conscious Pilate

AND your going to see even more of it soon, because of the New York AG's
crap..

5 ISP's are dropping all ALT. groups or just atl.binaries groups
others ISPs are going to filter groups so theres going to be delays or
outright blocks..

Old July 17th 08, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HiFlyer

I'm hoping Mr Cuomo, in his quest for votes, will stop all sites that
encourage treason, terrorism, advertise bomb-making insturction and
supplies, and other "illegal" activities.

I firmly believe we'd all be happier, healthier, and less stressed if
the Mayflower had sunk!!!!

HF

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:49:11 -0500, John Szalay
wrote:

"Conscious Pilate" wrote in
. au:

Old July 18th 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Geoff Miller

Clem writes:

That point is mute.

*Moot,* not "mute."

moot, adj.: deprived of practical significance : made abstract
or purely academic. (www.webster.com)

Geoff

--
"'Congressman Kucinich is holding up a pie chart, which is not
truly effective on radio,' Conan told his listeners."