A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How does sun heat the air?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old March 29th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 198
Default How does sun heat the air?

Le mercredi 29 mars 2017 10:00:08 UTC+2, Jim White a √©crit¬*:
At 20:17 27 March 2017, Duster wrote:
Not exactly transparent. The sky appears blue because air molecules and
sus=
pended particles absorb and scatter certain wavelengths of light. This
ener=
gy is transduced from photons into heat. However, the majority of
advection=
is due to the previous explanation. Not a physicist, so someone else

take
=
a stab.

The downward energy radiated by the sun is short wave and not absorbed by
the atmosphere. The upward energy radiated by the ground is long wave which
is.


That's not correct.
The energy radiated upward is in the 10 micron region, and the only constituet of the atmosphere which absorbs infrared is CO2. Which accounts to 400 ppm.

So, it's rather that the grounds heats the adjacent air by heat conduction, not by radiation.
Ads
  #22  
Old April 2nd 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 230
Default How does sun heat the air?

Sometimes a good meteorology text book that covers topics like atmospheric physics, radiation, optics and the boundary layer meteorology (thermal layer) would answer a lot of the r.a.s questions.

Here's a very complete, up to date and recently published one that you can read on-line or download the pdf for free!

If you are an engineer, you'll love this book because it explains meteorology with equations and examples... no derivations.

"Practical Meteorology - An Algebra-based Survey of Atmospheric Science" (www.eosas.ubc.ca/book/Practical_Meteorology). I haven't reviewed it, but it does have a very comprehensive 35 page chapter on Boundary Layer Meteorology written by someone who writes well and knows what he's talking about.

I met Dr Stull from the University of British Columbia Vancouver last January and he suggested his book. Dr Stull published in 1986 the classic book on Boundary Layer meteorology. He tried to publish this recent text book... but gave up and made it freely available.

Walt Rogers WX
  #23  
Old April 2nd 17, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default How does sun heat the air?

Hi Walt

Sounds interesting, however the site cannot be reached. Could you please check the URL and repost?

Thanks

Paul
  #24  
Old April 2nd 17, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default How does sun heat the air?

https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/books/Practical_Meteorology/
  #25  
Old April 2nd 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,817
Default How does sun heat the air?

Thanks for that! Wish I'd had it in December, but I'll start chipping
away, nonetheless.

On 4/1/2017 11:58 PM, danlj wrote:
https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/books/Practical_Meteorology/


--
Dan, 5J
  #26  
Old September 27th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default How does sun heat the air?

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 11:31:39 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks for that! Wish I'd had it in December, but I'll start chipping
away, nonetheless.

On 4/1/2017 11:58 PM, danlj wrote:
https://www.eoas.ubc.ca/books/Practical_Meteorology/


--
Dan, 5J


Good Book! Chapter 3, pg. 68:

"....At the surface this effective flux is entirely due
to molecular conduction, and above about 5 mm altitude
the effective flux is mostly due to turbulence."

  #27  
Old November 12th 17, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default How does sun heat the air?

Is is a great question, and one I am currently working with. Our understanding of the atmosphere, I think, is incomplete, and needs reviewed and updating. Doing so will easily explain such a problem. As it stands there are deep contradictions and paradoxes associated with radiation and the atmosphere.
Air is a near perfect insulator (it has a conduction value of near zero; 0.024 no units) so the thought heat energy is transferred this way cannot be so .
Add to that: air is assumed to (with the exception of about 1% greenhouse gases) not absorb or emit any IR radiation: this is a contradiction to Radiation theory, and quantum mechanics where all matter above absolute 0 Kelvin radiates IR.

So something is wrong, because the air does increase, and decrease in temperature, and does so quickly.
My hypothesis is O2 and N2 (99% of the dry atmosphere) do absorb and emit IR radiation: I have the quantum theory to show where they do, the experimental instrument to show it does, and the application proof to show it does.

I am currently writing up my work - it is a massive undertaking; I predict the biggest upset is science of our time: greenhouse theory will collapse. Special greenhouse atmosphere theory is pre quantum mechanics 19th Century science; it has not been updated with 20th Century knowledge - yet.
  #28  
Old November 14th 17, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 302
Default How does sun heat the air?

Don't forget to include water vapor in your hypothesising:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ption_by_water



On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:44:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is is a great question, and one I am currently working with. Our understanding of the atmosphere, I think, is incomplete, and needs reviewed and updating. Doing so will easily explain such a problem. As it stands there are deep contradictions and paradoxes associated with radiation and the atmosphere.
Air is a near perfect insulator (it has a conduction value of near zero; 0.024 no units) so the thought heat energy is transferred this way cannot be so .
Add to that: air is assumed to (with the exception of about 1% greenhouse gases) not absorb or emit any IR radiation: this is a contradiction to Radiation theory, and quantum mechanics where all matter above absolute 0 Kelvin radiates IR.

So something is wrong, because the air does increase, and decrease in temperature, and does so quickly.
My hypothesis is O2 and N2 (99% of the dry atmosphere) do absorb and emit IR radiation: I have the quantum theory to show where they do, the experimental instrument to show it does, and the application proof to show it does..

I am currently writing up my work - it is a massive undertaking; I predict the biggest upset is science of our time: greenhouse theory will collapse.. Special greenhouse atmosphere theory is pre quantum mechanics 19th Century science; it has not been updated with 20th Century knowledge - yet.


  #29  
Old November 14th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,817
Default How does sun heat the air?

I kinda lost faith in wikipedia after a former global warming evangelist
turned "climate change denier" found his wiki entries deleted almost as
quickly as he would post them.¬* Are they, too, bearers of the banner?

On 11/13/2017 9:07 PM, Steve Koerner wrote:
Don't forget to include water vapor in your hypothesising:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ption_by_water



On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:44:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is is a great question, and one I am currently working with. Our understanding of the atmosphere, I think, is incomplete, and needs reviewed and updating. Doing so will easily explain such a problem. As it stands there are deep contradictions and paradoxes associated with radiation and the atmosphere.
Air is a near perfect insulator (it has a conduction value of near zero; 0.024 no units) so the thought heat energy is transferred this way cannot be so .
Add to that: air is assumed to (with the exception of about 1% greenhouse gases) not absorb or emit any IR radiation: this is a contradiction to Radiation theory, and quantum mechanics where all matter above absolute 0 Kelvin radiates IR.

So something is wrong, because the air does increase, and decrease in temperature, and does so quickly.
My hypothesis is O2 and N2 (99% of the dry atmosphere) do absorb and emit IR radiation: I have the quantum theory to show where they do, the experimental instrument to show it does, and the application proof to show it does.

I am currently writing up my work - it is a massive undertaking; I predict the biggest upset is science of our time: greenhouse theory will collapse. Special greenhouse atmosphere theory is pre quantum mechanics 19th Century science; it has not been updated with 20th Century knowledge - yet.


--
Dan, 5J
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lotsa Heat Maple1 Aviation Photos 2 August 7th 07 03:21 AM
Carb Heat vlado Piloting 9 January 22nd 07 04:08 PM
But it's a dry heat.... Casey Wilson Piloting 31 July 23rd 05 10:09 PM
Pre-Heat at BED? Colin W Kingsbury Owning 7 January 21st 05 03:25 AM
auxiliary heat Jim Burns Owning 15 October 20th 04 09:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.