Potential Openings at the Sugarbush Youth Soaring Camps

Old December 18th 17, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Potential Openings at the Sugarbush Youth Soaring Camps

Sugarbush Soaring has potential openings for the 2018 Youth Soaring Camps. The camps are open to eight youth ages 13 through 18 and are held at the Warren-Sugarbush Airport (0B7), in Warren, Vermont. Instructional flights are conducted in our two-place gliders (one ASK-21, two PW-6s, and one SGS 2-33). Some students may also fly in our newly-restored SGS 1-26. This year, due to high demand, we are holding three camps at the - Camp 1: July 8th through 14th; Camp 2: July 22nd through 28th; and Camp 3: August 5th through 11th.

During the 2018 Youth Soaring Camps, each camper will receive ten instructional flights and daily ground school sessions. Topics will include aerodynamics, airspace, regulations, glider/aircraft components, launch and retrieval procedures, glider maneuvers, soaring techniques and aviation career options. In addition, each camper will take an instructional flight in a 1941 Taylorcraft tail-wheel aircraft. Other activities will include a visit to the Burlington International Airport (BTV) Tower and Approach Control Facility, kayaking, swimming, sports of your choice (favorites include Frisbee, soccer and manhunt), a bonfire and stargazing. Meals are provided from dinner on Sunday (night of arrival) to breakfast on Saturday (morning of departure), except for one ‘night out’ for dinner and a movie. We will camp out on the airport, so each participant will need to bring a tent and sleeping bag.

This is a fantastic opportunity for youth who are passionate about aviation and want to improve their flying skills. There are some distinct advantages to learning to fly in a glider. You learn true stick and rudder skills, critical thinking, situational awareness, judgment, discipline with awareness and understanding of winds and weather. We also teach campers flight-line/airport operation procedures, safety, crew resource management, teamwork and communication. Campers build confidence in themselves which positively transfers to many other areas of their lives. They also build lifelong friendships and have fun!

We’re very fortunate to be able to offer this valuable and fun experience at one of the most beautiful airports in the country. The Warren-Sugarbush Airport is nestled in the Green Mountains and is a premier soaring location. Depending on the weather, on any given day students could experience one of the three forms of soaring lift — thermal, ridge and mountain wave (or in some cases, all three!). In addition to its special location, another thing that sets Sugarbush Soaring apart is its experienced and professional staff, who love to instruct and take great pride in our youth programs.

There is often a waiting list, with us holding a third session there might be slots open. Sugarbush Soaring Association has been holding Youth Soaring Camps for many years with numerous happy campers (and parents).

Interested in learning more? Here is a link to our Youth Camp Outreach PDF: http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/doc/...ach%202018.pdf
Check out our Youth Camp Page on our website: http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/ride...h-soaring-camp
Email:

Due to the popularity of these camps, we encourage you to contact us at your earliest convenience. A great gift for the Holidays for a young person – the gift of flight combined with an awesome experience!

Old December 23rd 17, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Hello all and happy holidays! I want to let everyone know that we are getting lot of interest in the Youth Soaring Camps and that we may fill up completely pretty quickly in the New Year. Not a hard sales pitch but a gentle nudge to help if you had a young person in mind and were procrastinating starting the process.

http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/doc/...ach%202018.pdf

http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/ride...h-soaring-camp

Email:

Thanks, Tom
Old December 23rd 17, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 8:57:11 AM UTC-5, Tom wrote:
Hello all and happy holidays! I want to let everyone know that we are getting lot of interest in the Youth Soaring Camps and that we may fill up completely pretty quickly in the New Year. Not a hard sales pitch but a gentle nudge to help if you had a young person in mind and were procrastinating starting the process.

http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/doc/...ach%202018.pdf

http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/ride...h-soaring-camp

Email:

Thanks, Tom

Juniors wishing to attend may be eligible for scholarships. See
http://www.ssa.org/Youth - don't delay - deadline is Dec 31 to apply.
Old February 4th 18, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Hello from Sugarbush Soaring!

We wanted everyone to know that the response to the Sugarbush Youth Soaring Camps has been really amazing. The camps are filling up quite a bit quicker than usual and I wanted to give this group a heads up in case there was a young person in your life that you were considering this for.

We talk all the time about the state of the sport, about the future and wonder how we are going to get more pilots involved. This camp is one way to look to the future and try to invigorate interest in soaring and aviation in general.

These camps are a fantastic opportunity for youth who are passionate about aviation and want to improve their flying skills. There are some distinct advantages to learning to fly in a glider (as you all know). They learn true stick and rudder skills, critical thinking, situational awareness, judgment, discipline and awareness and understanding of winds and weather. Youth Pilots build confidence in themselves which positively transfers to many other areas of their lives. They also build lifelong friendships and have fun!

We’re very fortunate to be able to offer this valuable and fun experience at one of the most beautiful airports in the country. The Warren-Sugarbush Airport is nestled in the Green Mountains and is a premier soaring location. Depending on the weather, on any given day students could experience one of the three forms of soaring lift — thermal, ridge and mountain wave (or in some cases, all three!). In addition to its special location, another thing that sets Sugarbush Soaring apart is its experienced and professional staff, who loves to instruct and take great pride in our youth programs.

Currently there are only a few positions open in both July Camps (Camp 1: July 8-14, Camp 2 July 22-28), the August Camp is filled.

One of the toughest parts about organizing these camps is dealing with folks who delay making the commitment and then are disappointed, we wish we could accommodate everyone but there is limited capacity. Not a hard sales pitch, just experience talking....

Interested in learning more? Here is a link to our Youth Camp Outreach PDF: http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/doc/...ach%202018.pdf
Check out our Youth Camp Page on our website: http://www.sugarbushsoaring.com/ride...h-soaring-camp
Email:

Regards, Tom

Info for Junior/Youth XC training camps 2017 [email protected] Soaring 1 February 15th 17 09:29 PM
UAV video platform - soaring video potential? son_of_flubber Soaring 25 August 16th 14 12:25 AM
XC Soaring camps RAS56 Soaring 14 September 15th 11 12:57 PM
Youth in soaring, and anything raulb Soaring 34 December 19th 09 05:53 PM
Any interest in an International Youth Soaring Camp? Bob Soaring 1 March 9th 09 08:14 AM