Trig 1090ES ADS-B Receiver

Old July 21st 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Trig 1090ES ADS-B Receiver

Trig has announced its 1090ES ADS-B receiver:
http://www.trig-avionics.com/press100726.html
http://www.trig-avionics.com/ta60.html
It's expected to ship somewhere near the end of 2010, and will cost
about $1800 in the US.

Unfortunately, it's only a receiver. If I read it right, it only will
display traffic information on a portable Garmin 495 or 695, or on
expensive, power hungry displays that won't be suitable for a glider.
To me, this makes the Trig TA60 less attractive for gliders than the
PowerFLARM or the Funkwerk TM250. I hope this impression is wrong, and
that Trig has other glider suitable display options that it will be
supporting.

-John

Old July 21st 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jul 21, 1:40*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Trig has announced its 1090ES ADS-B receiver:
*http://www.trig-avionics.com/press100726.html
*http://www.trig-avionics.com/ta60.html
It's expected to ship somewhere near the end of 2010, and will cost
about $1800 in the US.

Unfortunately, it's only a receiver. If I read it right, it only will
display traffic information on a portable Garmin 495 or 695, or on
expensive, power hungry displays that won't be suitable for a glider.
To me, this makes the Trig TA60 less attractive for gliders than the
PowerFLARM or the Funkwerk TM250. I hope this impression is wrong, and
that Trig has other glider suitable display options that it will be
supporting.

-John

Right, it is a headless box that does not support the FLARM serial
display protocol AFAIK and that unfortunately just about excludes it
today with our current PDA and flight computer displays of being of
much interest in glider cockpits. It should be pretty interesting in
the GA market.

Unlike some other ADS-B receiver vendors Trig is very nice about being
outright clear about the need for a separate ADS-B transmitter (and
GPS) for this to work. e.g. their data sheet starts with "With an ADS-
B Out capable transponder and a GPS the new TA60 series of ADS-B
receiver completes your ADS-B solution.".

Darryl