Train Wreck

Old November 6th 17, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Train Wreck

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 1:38:32 AM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
Sean F has as much enthusiasm for the sport of glider racing as perhaps the next six of us combined. One way to interpret his over-the-top keyboard behavior is that he cares so much about the sport than he can't figure out how to balance in some nice behavior with his buds online. Annoying, yes; but, so what.

He should get a pass for bad keyboard behavior if he wins races and has good in person behavior as is the accounts that we hear repeatedly. I believe that at voting time, some others didn't give him that pass when they placed their votes. When holding a grudge for having been ****ing off once or twice, it's just not possible to avoid contriving a logical seeming explanation. And therein lies one of several major faults in the use of non-objective team selection standards.

What all of this means is that despite the hard work and good intentions of the US team committee, they have accomplished exactly the opposite of what they set out to accomplish. And we are all worse for the wear.

No, we should not allow a few more years of this to see how it works out as some have suggested.

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 7:24:07 PM UTC-7, Bojack J4 wrote:
I watched Sean's youtube video.

Professionally presented and analyzed, and proves his point with data.

I fail to see any evidence of a "train wreck" there....and he DID win the entire contest.

If I may add, Sean's performance at Benella was impressive (at one point he was in second place overall and had a day win as I recall?), and he was receiving accolades right here on ras the whole time while doing it.

How about he just grow up and deal with it? Why isn't that the unanimous suggestion here? One option by the disgruntled pilot would be to shrug it off, and go fly the 15 meter contest as a proud representative of the United States, understanding that life isn't always "fair". Why is it impossible for someone to understand that it's just their one opinion that the contest/rules committee maybe is "making mistakes" going through some changes after the US team has had dismal performance in the previous x number of years and that others have a different opinion of how to best address it, right or wrong? Understand that you are not the center of the universe and that some things might be larger than you or any individual? And that regardless of how poor one thinks of the decisions and how they were made, to handle it with some level of maturity and even perhaps some class? Close the laptop and pick up the phone? Has anyone receive a personal phone call? If I thought any of it was done out of interest for US soaring as a whole rather than just 100% self interest I might feel otherwise, but he has shown his hand many times over. The question is whether Sean Fidler is a crybaby child or not, whether the selection process is correct or not is a different question. Someone cried in their beer (again) all over their facebook account and someone called him out on it, by posting in another public forum. Seems not inappropriate. I know nothing of contest flying, the rules/selection committee etc., but it's pretty easy to see when someone has a serious personality flaw, whether "online" or in "real "life". If you can't be a grown up, or even simply adapt your behaviour to avoid the easily foreseeable potential blowback this type of behaviour has on your own personal aspirations, then you'll have to deal with the consequences, "fair" or not. Personally I couldn't care less if he ever flies another contest, regardless of any loss to US soaring in International competition scoresheet, but then again I don't care much about any of it. And this is the reason why. Flying a contest sounds to me a lot like a week long trip to the dentist chair.
Old November 6th 17, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 7:44:27 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
You guys may be mistaking behind-the-keyboard crazy Sean for the pilot. Sean loves the idea of racing assigned tasks and grand prix, and rather pointedly says so. I haven't seen any particular lack of originality and willingness to strike out on the own in the air. If anything, the opposite, Sean goes where others fear to tread. Just because he doesn't think contests should call tats (which WGC also do, increasingly) does not mean he's any worse at flying them. Not every opinion in this sport is self-interested

John Cochrane

Flying excellence is REALLY important, but it needs to be part of a larger package.
Nasty aggressive behavior, even if not face to face, is corrosive to the entire process of building a team that will succeed. When it's time to perform ,there needs to be a very strong bond for true team work to happen. This does not happen in 3 weeks on site. If you start in a hole, it is very difficult to achieve.
The importance of how the team presents itself is also hard to over emphasize. Raising funds to support a team with a demonstrated bad actor could well be next to impossible. It is hard enough without people saying "I'm not going to support a team with that person on it".
I appreciate the hard caring work of the USTC in developing this new process. I have called them to task, face to face, for the terrible job they did in letting the affected pilots, and others, know how things were changing. They looked me in the eye and vowed to do better.
Thanks to the USTC.
Let's get behind our new team.
UH
US Club Class Team 2001, 2002
Old November 6th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

UH: I agree entirely. This kind of public (yes, internet is public) behavior is near inexcusable and close to disqualifying in a US team member. Any pilot who reacted to a decision by a worlds CD, international Jury, or an action by his own team captain and team mates in this manner should be sent home immediately and banned from further US team participation.

I have not seen a similar ability to overcome the many unfair adversities our sport throws us in competition, but I would surely infer less than the required equanimity, and the US team should consider that in its assessment of pilots overall suitability. Overcoming a bad day and not throwing yourself into a mire of self-inflicted self-pitying misery has been a constant weak point of the US team, and one of the main things this whole selection process was invented in order to avoid.

One effect of going to a voting system: any pilot should pay a little self-interested attention to his relations with other pilots, the US team, and his or her public image. Maybe that isn't all bad!

I merely wanted to correct an impression I saw in earlier posts -- that because Sean rants about assigned tasks and US rules he is necessarily only good at assigned tasks and IGC rules, and does it to further his own contest results. Sean is pretty good at flying any kind of task, and is not a leech in classic style.

Likewise, I argue for high finishes, more TAT and MAT to avoid gaggling and leeching, because I enjoy contests more that way. But as a pilot, I fly the finish line just as crazy as the rest of you guys, and play the gaggle and follow game as necessary.

John Cochrane
Old November 7th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

https://youtu.be/uhrEFpb2kGs
Old November 7th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

What is your complaint? Following, team flying, and using markers is very hard, and its a part of the WGC game that US pilots are typically not very good at. We tend to break off and do our own thing when inappropriate and screw the pooch. Kawa himself follows and uses markers when appropriate. If these guys can do it effectively at the right times, good for them, and this should be much in their favor for US team selection. Individualists who want to fly by themselves will not do well at WGC
Old November 7th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 6:38:46 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
https://youtu.be/uhrEFpb2kGs

I just can't make sense of it, I cannot see how doing this serves your goals. So I'll try a different tack... How about you go over to Poland and kick some ass, score at the top of the sheet, post one for the Americans, and give those damn "good 'ol boys" back home here in the US no other option than to put you in the 18 meter class next year and beyond (lots of competition soaring left for you). You might be surprised how many people would get on your side (and be more open to changing US competition soaring to your preference), slapping your back and cheering you on, just like many of us did when you scored well at the Grand Prix. Leeching is legal. No complaining. Go beat everyone despite the terrible rules. Like this guy does. Can you beat him? Or do you just want to be the best US pilot. Low bar for you I think, very low bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH6YVbUotDQ
Old November 7th 17, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 23:38 06 November 2017, Sean Fidler wrote:
https://youtu.be/uhrEFpb2kGs

Why do you do this Sean? If you spent the same amount of time making a few
friends in the US Soaring community, you would probably more easily reach
your goals.

Old November 7th 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 6:52:10 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
What is your complaint? Following, team flying, and using markers is very hard, and its a part of the WGC game that US pilots are typically not very good at. We tend to break off and do our own thing when inappropriate and screw the pooch. Kawa himself follows and uses markers when appropriate. If these guys can do it effectively at the right times, good for them, and this should be much in their favor for US team selection. Individualists who want to fly by themselves will not do well at WGC

Pretty much generic gaggle racing that Sean says he likes the most.
When behind, its "tactical following".
When ahead, the other guy is a scum sucking leach.
An example of when he had a good day. Not much to complain about there.
UH
Old November 8th 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Hank, as usual, you haven’t the slightest clue. And I am not done with the videos. I’m just getting started.

And "this" is to prove a simple point. The US Team selection process is a joke and fraud. It not based on facts. It favors butt kissers and is something that is now "given" subjectively and not "earned" objectively.

Get behind the “Team.” Get behind the team that in several cases was given their positions and DID NOT EARN IT.

Also, just to be clear, is team flying legal now? How is it that we can have 5E and XC team flying entire contests without anyone noticing or caring? Are we just trusting them? Is everyone else OK completing against the clear advantages which that allowance provides them? The same thing occurred in the Club Class (and D2, LS8, ASW20 division) nationals in Hobbs this year. See my Youtube channel for those videos.

So Mini-Me (XC) and Mr. Cochrane (good old boys spokesman east and west)...which is it? (Facts please, cite evidence). We see that 5E and XC team fly and need each other to lose the 15m Nationals. We now know that 90 leeches P7 as if prison was no deterrent. But we don’t see that with me.. How am I not fast without markers mini-me? At least Cochrane won’t lie here like you. But notice that until I added the actual SeeYou replay proving the narrative was incorrect, that wasn't the case.

Also, note XC comments about how that subjective perception (which Mr. Cochrane disputes) was the reason he voted me down. You can see right there how pathetic the new buddy voting system is.

Why is XC so mad (see: Butthurt)? It is because I called them out for complaining endlessly about the FAI rules DURING the FAI world championships for which they had over a year to prepare. Meanwhile John Good writes endless articles attacking the FAI rules while my wife did 3/4 of the work of the team captain. The Team members should not be afraid of or complain about the FAI rules (or European pilots), they should be fully prepared and READY TO ATTACK IT ON ALL LEVELS AND AT ALL TIMES when the event begins. Instead, they longed for the US rules and tasks. Hence one of my many reasons for despising the failed US Rules experiment which has provided ZERO UPSIDE in TWENTY YEARS while requiring extreme effort to maintain.

Mini-Me, did do you know how the 85% “Elite” (cough, cough, wink, wink) voters voted? How is it that you know the "collective narrative" was (weeks ago) that I am not fast without markers as you posted on my Facebook page? Clearly, now that I have provided this thread some objective evidence (in the form of several SeeYou replays), Cochrane is walking that one (whopper) back for you (and the voters). But (and this is key) that is, apparently, still the justification for 5E to move up in the subjective vote and for me to move down. Hmm? The Team Committee has not released any responses to date. How did you know weeks ago? Could it be that it was contrived by a group of people with high ethical standards that would not let personal disagreements affect their votes? No? Yeah, that is a stretch. So, mini-me, how did you know?

Answer: Mini-me was in on the contrived “subjective” answer of the "elite" SSA loyalists (the good old boys) which was designed too.... We all know the answer...

When will the US Team Committee release the US Team votes and comments so we can compare their responses (subjective) with actual flight data for all relevant competition to see if it makes sense or is just personal? This is the process for the rules poll. Why is this not the process for the TRANSPARENT and OF THE HIGHEST MORAL CHARACTER US Team poll?

#participationtrohpy
#givenNOTearned
Old November 8th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Oh and great thread title mini-me.

The US Team Selection process is a total TRAIN WRECK.

#morelies