A Question for ClearNav Users ...

Old January 30th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

Default A Question for ClearNav Users ...

I have a glider purchase pending inspection and a simple A/D compliance item. It's a nice ship, and the seller has been an absolutely outstanding gentlemen to work with.

The glider is about 95% how I would have done things had I bought it new, but there are few small items - one of which is the ClearNav vario. It is one of three varios, the other two being a 80mm Sage and a 57mm Borgelt. Eventually the Borgelt will go away and I'll get FLARM, but that is another thread ...

The installed vario is the version with the mechanical pointer arm over the LCD panel. Very nice, but I am considering the full digital vario. Looking at the ClearNav web site, it appears that the same ADC supports either unit, so all I would have to do is replace the panel instrument.

What appeals to me most about the the digital display is the Thermal Assistant. It looks like a very useful feature to help visualize and rapidly core a thermal. Otherwise, it seems the mechanical arm version supplies the necessary basic information. Hence my question to ClearNav users:

Would that be a worthwhile instrument switch? Is the Thermal Assistant useful, or a "gee wiz" feature?
Old January 30th 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend. You don't have to remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both. There is benefit to having both on your panel.
Old January 30th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:28:03 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend. You don't have to remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both. There is benefit to having both on your panel.

Many people have both, current advice is generally use the newer digital display screen only if you can only fit one of the two. However the digital display is very compact - not very deep and very light weight. It can be mounted on a post/arm like a PDA if you had to. I love having both.

Here is my solution. 3 varios are too many, and with the CN a second one seems useless because it is really great. I did however want to have a backup in case the glider battery died so here is my solution:

http://clearnav.net/forum/index.php/topic,569.0.html

Chris

Old January 30th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:28:03 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend. You don't have to remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both. There is benefit to having both on your panel.

I love the CNv Digital vario. The Thermal Assistant is very good. I haven't flown with the version with the pointer. I wish it had a dial volume rather than the up/down buttons... I have it connected to an Oudie2 lite (running xc soar), with the serial cable from Cumulus. You can declare tasks from the oudie to the flight recorder in the CNvario, which is convenient if you are badge flying.

It does help you visualize the thermal, but I find I don't look at it much, since there is a tone to tell me when to roll out briefly, and it works very well.
Old January 30th 18, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 7:12:11 PM UTC-7, Jeff Morgan wrote:
[...]

Jeff - I have used it for the last 2 years and let there be no doubt, the thermal assistant is truly outstanding! Do not delay and order the LCD display.......ASAP! Now, have fun and be safe out there. Thx - Renny
Old January 30th 18, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:28:03 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend. You don't have to remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both. There is benefit to having both on your panel.

I use the same as Steve in both my gliders. If buying new and selecting only one, I'd go with the digital display.
UH
Old January 30th 18, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:12:11 PM UTC-5, Jeff Morgan wrote:
[...]

the thermal assistant is bomb. it will almost feel like you're cheating. you no longer need to make a picture of the lift distribution in your head. it's really an amazing feature. i love it! the only thing is, i used to consider myself to be very good at this before they leveled the playing field......
Old January 30th 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have both the digital and analog displays on my panel and am very
happy with that setup.Â* Both are connected to the same ADC.Â* The thermal
assistant is more than just a picture, there's also guidance to the
strongest lift with an arrow included on the display.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 30th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On the (slight) down side, the panel of my Stemme is very closely packed
and, with the large front face of the digital display, I had to shave
some plastic off the sides to clear other instruments rather than stalk
mounting it.Â* Not too difficult to do but probably voided the warranty.

On 1/30/2018 11:02 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have both the digital and analog displays on my panel and am very
happy with that setup.Â* Both are connected to the same ADC.Â* The
thermal assistant is more than just a picture, there's also guidance
to the strongest lift with an arrow included on the display.

On 1/29/2018 7:27 PM, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend.Â* You don't have to
remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both.Â* There

Old January 30th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's a good vario. I had both, mechanical and digital display. But I removed the digital display because I spent too much time looking at the thermal assistant. Technically this feature works very well, but I prefer to look outside and draw a mental map of the thermal.

I changed the CNv for an AirGlide S last season. Variometry is on par, but wind calculation works way better.