Cobra trailer lettering paint?

Old February 11th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Cobra trailer lettering paint?

I'm considering touching up over the painted-on lettering on my trailer. What paint is appropriate? Other related advise? Thanks.
Old February 11th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Steve,

For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.

One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.

Best of luck making the trailer prettier.

Raul Boerner
DM
Old February 13th 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:19:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Steve,

For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.

One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.

Best of luck making the trailer prettier.

Raul Boerner
DM

I've had two newish Cobra trailers - both aluminium top - one had decals (see your local store!), the other paint. Decals are easier and fade faster but are easy to replace. Never had one long enough to have to fix its paint.

The Euro's down - time for a new glider, Steve?

Mike
Old February 13th 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:21:05 PM UTC-8, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:19:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Steve,

For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.

One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.

Best of luck making the trailer prettier.

Raul Boerner
DM

I've had two newish Cobra trailers - both aluminium top - one had decals (see your local store!), the other paint. Decals are easier and fade faster but are easy to replace. Never had one long enough to have to fix its paint.

The Euro's down - time for a new glider, Steve?

Mike

Or just get a "wrap" on the trailer fin box like Bruno had on his ASW20.
Jim
Old February 20th 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have painted the faded rubber strip on the side of a couple of Cobras. Mask it off with 2" masking tape then aim the spray can down wile holding a peace of cardboard to catch any over-spray on the bottom. Ace rattle-can in red or blue...........makes the old girl look new again!

Another Cobra trick...........lifting the fuselage tail was killing my back.. The tail weight is a function of fuselage saddle location, so I moved the saddle aft about 3" and lifting the tail became much easier. My saddle is held in place with 2 arms that go up to the forward lift fittings........I shortened these arms and re-drilled the pivot holes at the saddle. Good idea to re-check nose cone fit.
JJ
Old February 20th 17, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

At 17:19 11 February 2017, Steve Koerner wrote:
I'm considering touching up over the painted-on lettering on my trailer.
What paint is appropriate? Other related advise? Thanks.

On the advice of a painter and decorator friend, we have just re-painted
ours using Zinsser uc and 123 topcoat. It says gloss, but it is more of a
silk finish.
Can't comment yet, only just completed. Though I said "we", in fact he
painted it for us.
Dave

Old February 21st 17, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:19:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have painted the faded rubber strip on the side of a couple of Cobras...

I have found that the perfect stuff for that is a rattle can product called "Krylon Fusion." Sticks well to flexible (and not-so-flexible) plastics.

--Bob K.

Paint for trailer Colin Roney Soaring 6 July 4th 16 11:34 AM
2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 02:11 AM
Trailer Paint Scheme Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 21 July 16th 09 07:27 PM
Trailer paint removal Chris Davison Soaring 13 September 3rd 04 10:42 PM