Confor foam cushions - firmness?

Old March 21st 17, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses Babayan

Default Confor foam cushions - firmness?

Considering redoing the cushion in the glider; can't decide on green/blue or blue/pink.
Flying in Eastern Washington for most of the season (temperature wise).

Any hands-on data points would be appreciated.

-MB
Old March 21st 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 7:57:31 PM UTC-4, Movses Babayan wrote:
Considering redoing the cushion in the glider; can't decide on green/blue or blue/pink.
Flying in Eastern Washington for most of the season (temperature wise).

Any hands-on data points would be appreciated.

-MB

My data points were not hand-related... I have blue over green. Works well at Colorado Springs or Ottawa Canada temps. Bit firm in the wave but body heat softens them. I find pink too soft (you want to have some depth to compress should you have a sudden deceleration).

Dan
Old March 21st 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I used the 2" sandwich of 1" pink over 1" blue (pink on top). I loved it. Really comfortable for long flights.

I cried when I realized I don't have the headroom for that in my current glider.

I am using 1" of blue and it works fine. It can get a bit stiff in the early spring and late fall (until my butt warms it up).

Lou
Old March 21st 17, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

We use the foam in the headrest of the Formula 1 cars and also in the seat to protect the spine.
White up to 15 deg, Pink from 15-30 and blue above 30 deg. Specified by the FIA
Old March 21st 17, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I bought all 3 types after a back injury a few years ago. and I try to convince anyone who will listen to use this stuff.

I use 1" blue over 1' green in the seat bottom and 1' blue on the back. I gave the pink away (it is pretty useless for back protection).

If you begin to use it and it is cold out - you will think it is too stiff, BUT it is NOT - your body heat will soften it up quickly - just bring it in your home at room temps and you will see.

I would not fly a glider without this stuff - I made is do I bring it with me when I use other gliders just google "glider back injury" ....... you will be convinced. We sit in a position that required very little impact to create a huge back problem.

my $.02

WH
Old March 21st 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have been flying for many years now with one inch of blue foam under my butt and find it very comfortable. As others have said, when cold, it's rock hard until you have sat on it for a few minutes. Then it warms enough to allow it to conform.

Ground temps while in use prob from low 50's to upper 90's F degrees.

Ray
Old March 21st 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Comfort is good, but safety is primary. I received a back injury from a hard landing; at that time, there was only one inch of Blue Foam under me. Cumulus-Soaring's website promotes proper cushioning by using a mix of colored foam, with specific thicknesses.

Raul Boerner
DM LS6
Old March 22nd 17, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I used extra firm green under the thin cushion that came with the glider. Confor needs its own cover to protect it from abrasion and UV, though that can be a single layer of cloth.

Green Confor is hard as a rock when cold, but warms with body heat to shape with no pressure points while providing the highest level of protection compared to the less dense favors. If you have extra room, then layering with less dense Confor is good, but if all you have is a an inch or two, for maximum protection I'd go with green alone - this won't compromise comfort save for the first few minutes.

I shaped the Confor in my last two gliders to evenly support thighs as well, this also reduces load on the butt and spine.

Confor cuts and shapes using an electric carving knife, and also shapes with a belt sander when cold (use caution, as frozen or very cold Confor is brittle and will snap if bent or bent quickly). Sanding will have you covered in it, but it blows off easily.

Easy to make thicker slabs by bonding sheets together with 3M 77 or 90 spray adhesive . . . much harder to make a thick slab thinner (though a hot wire would probably work nicely - used that on other foam but not Confor).

If it's to be the primary cushion (no cover cushion), it's common to bond a thin layer (1/4" ?) of polyfoam onto the Confor so it fits within the upholstery nicely without wrinkles (the polyfoam rebounds quickly to hold the upholstery snugly) and has a better initial feel.
Old March 22nd 17, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 7:57:31 PM UTC-4, Movses Babayan wrote:
Considering redoing the cushion in the glider; can't decide on green/blue or blue/pink.
Flying in Eastern Washington for most of the season (temperature wise).

Any hands-on data points would be appreciated.

-MB

I have a deep seat, or I'm not tall!

I use an inch of each with hardest on bottom. I think its great. Not tired of sitting or bum not having any pressure points.

You could go ½" on bottom or maybe any combination leaving the top at an Inch.

Confor Seat Foam for Sale Casey[_2_] Soaring 2 January 18th 16 04:20 AM
Seat cushions for ASK21 [email protected] Soaring 4 December 4th 15 09:08 AM
Need new cushions Vorsanger1 Soaring 3 July 3rd 11 06:32 PM
blue foam, pink foam, yellow foam? Corrie Home Built 26 September 1st 03 05:01 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM