Taxi speed

Old March 6th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Default Taxi speed

Thanks to everyone for replying. Good info.

One day... I'm gonna get that 737 type rating... now when is my next BFR
due?

Hilton

Old March 7th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:55:33 GMT, "Hilton" wrote:

Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737, and 747
in normal operations? I'm just using those as examples, feel free to
mention any others. Also, I'm not looking for maximums or AFM limiations,
just the day-in day-out taxi speeds and the maximum that a crew would use to
get to the runway for an expedited takeoff.

At the big airports where there's lots of traffic they taxi about the
same as I do, or a really fast walk. OTOH at some of the out of the
way airports where there is no one between them and the end of the
runway I sometimes think they may push their luck a little.

However when you hear you'll be number 57 for departure, there is
little incentive to hurry

As some one else said, if it's fast enough to see on the airspeed it's
too fast.

Thanks,

Hilton

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 7th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

I don't think a fast walk as a taxi speed is a reasonable guess. 4
miles an hour is a pretty fast walk, I'd guess at a lot of places the
distance to the threshold from the gate is of that order of magnitude.
It doesn't take most carriers the better part of an hour from pushback
to "Number one and ready".

Old March 21st 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Hilton" wrote in
news
Hi,

What is the normal and maximum taxi speed (in knots) for an RJ, 737,
and 747 in normal operations?

normally max is considered to be 30 knots, some companies will reduce this
to 25 or even 20 but all of these are out in the open with nothing around
15 is more prudent in congested areas and 10 knots is the most you should
take a sharp bend.

bertie
Old March 31st 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Andy Hawkins writes:

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground?
Obviously the airspeed indicator isn't much use in these
situations...

If you have fancy avionics, they'll tell you your actual ground speed,
as read from an IRU or GPS.

Says mr know nothing..

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flydive

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Andy Hawkins writes:

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground?
Obviously the airspeed indicator isn't much use in these
situations...

If you have fancy avionics, they'll tell you your actual ground speed,
as read from an IRU or GPS.

Says mr know nothing..

Bertie

But he is right
Old March 31st 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Flydive wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Andy Hawkins writes:

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground?
Obviously the airspeed indicator isn't much use in these
situations...
If you have fancy avionics, they'll tell you your actual ground

speed,
as read from an IRU or GPS.

Says mr know nothing..

Bertie

But he is right

Not really. We use them as a rough guide but they're not all that
reliable on the ground. Only as a guide. Older widebodies had ground
speedos just like a car. Just a little clock on the capt's panel down
the bottom, usually. All newer ones use IRS, but
IRS info can be out by up to 10 knots by the time you land. A
negligable error in flight, but huge on the ground. Also ****s up your
wind indications on appraoch. Not a problem for a pilot, BTW, but it
does screw up the automatics if they get confused about the crosswind on
some airplanes.
It's not uncommon for them to show movement while you're parked after a
long flight particualrly if radio update isn't all the best towards the
end. Like if you're flying into an area without a lot of DMEs. newer GPS
stuff is better, but it's not really neccesary anyway except in 74's
wher it's quite difficult to tell your GS.

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 10:12 AM posted to alt.disasters.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Flydive

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Flydive wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Andy Hawkins writes:

[...]

True in part, the latest FMS use the GPS as primary source, so the GS
indication is quite accurate on the ground.
Old March 31st 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Flydive wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Flydive wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Andy Hawkins writes:

[...]

If you need it. He was stil worng.

bertie
Old April 8th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Not4wood

Hmm, interesting posts.

According to what I've read from the Manuals/Specs most are recommended to
taxi at about 20 and turns are at 12 or slower. I haven't seen that many
manuals or specs, maybe round 3 or 4 but they pretty much had the same taxi
speed requirements. Any faster than that, and I've seen mentioned of tire
and brake wear.

When I was sitting behind the Pilot in a Beaver, he kept it to a slow crawl
at all times. Probably because the taxi way was kinda bumpy and didn't want
us tossed around. Comfort of the paying customers is paramount. How would
you feel sitting in an Airbus and getting your cookies tossed around because
the Pilot was trying to make up some speed on the ground and couldn't care
about your comfort? I don't think so. Remember, the Pilot is responsible
for everyone's safety and their comfort.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/IMG_0290.jpg

Mark G
Not4wood

"Andy Hawkins" wrote in message
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
747 and 777, 15 knots. At least that's what we, as mechanics were taught.
Slowing to 8ish in turns.

Just out of interest, how do you measure speed on the ground? Obviously
the
airspeed indicator isn't much use in these situations...

(This is from a sim 'pilot', so might seem like a daft question!)

Andy

Taxi accident at OSH StudentPPSEL Owning 4 August 3rd 06 09:52 PM
Hanoi Taxi john smith Piloting 0 April 27th 06 03:48 AM
License To Taxi? SteveT Piloting 29 October 16th 05 04:57 PM
Leaning for taxi Jim Rosinski Piloting 28 September 12th 04 03:53 AM
taxi in reverse? [email protected] Owning 20 February 21st 04 12:26 AM