Question about Seaplanes

Old September 22nd 04, 12:30 AM
Sami

Default Question about Seaplanes

Are seaplanes still used for commercial purposes , I am talking about
planes with capablity of carrying at least 40 passengers. If there are
such planes what are their speed compare to Jet Planes (for example
compare to Boeing 767), are they reliable (quantity of malfunctions or
accidents), what are their prices (more or less) ? and are they still
mnufactured ?

SAMI
Old September 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
Vaughn

"Sami" wrote in message
om...
Are seaplanes still used for commercial purposes , I am talking about
planes with capablity of carrying at least 40 passengers.

How about 17 passengers? Here is a link to an airline that uses seaplanes:
http://www.flychalks.com/mallard/seat.htm In fact, it claims o be the world's
oldest scheduled airline: http://www.flychalks.com/history/airline.htm

If there are
such planes what are their speed compare to Jet Planes (for example
compare to Boeing 767),

Very slow compared to a 767

Vaughn

Old September 22nd 04, 02:51 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Vaughn" wrote in
:

"Sami" wrote in message
om...
Are seaplanes still used for commercial purposes , I am talking about
planes with capablity of carrying at least 40 passengers.

How about 17 passengers? Here is a link to an airline that uses
seaplanes:
http://www.flychalks.com/mallard/seat.htm In fact, it claims o be the
world's oldest scheduled airline:
http://www.flychalks.com/history/airline.htm

If there are
such planes what are their speed compare to Jet Planes (for example
compare to Boeing 767),

Very slow compared to a 767

Vaughn

There's also a company flying people in and out of TJIG into STT in a Twin
Otter fitted with some very cool and very big floats.

They operate out of a private seaplane base in the channel between TJIG's
runway and the ports area/Old San Juan.

There was also an attempt to resurrect the Grummans that used to operate as
Antilles Airlines some years ago, but the project didn't go anywhere. After
the aircraft were restored and prepared for service, the STT local
government gave exclusive rights to the seaplane base to some local
operator, who didn't last very long.

The other day I saw a bunch of pictures of the old Pan American seaplanes
that used to ply the routes in the Caribbean a very long time ago, Very
cool stuff too, worthy of its own exhibit at a national museum.

Juan

Old September 22nd 04, 03:50 AM
Larry

snip
The other day I saw a bunch of pictures of the old Pan American seaplanes
that used to ply the routes in the Caribbean a very long time ago.

That would be interesting to see- got a link??

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old September 22nd 04, 11:38 AM
Sami

17 passangers is not enough , for commercial uses we need at least 35-40 seats

SAMI
Old September 22nd 04, 02:18 PM
Smutny

Your best bet would be the Be-200. Have no idea about the reliablity
or safety record of the type. But I believe it's the biggest
waterborne aircraft being built at the moment.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/be200-01.htm

-j-

Old September 22nd 04, 06:39 PM
PaulH

Sporty's pilot supply catalog had a really cool picture a couple of
years ago of a DC3 on floats. Don't have any idea what it was used
for, though.
Old September 22nd 04, 06:49 PM
C Kingsbury

"Larry" wrote in message ...
snip
The other day I saw a bunch of pictures of the old Pan American seaplanes
that used to ply the routes in the Caribbean a very long time ago.

That would be interesting to see- got a link??

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

"Corsairville" is a kind of fun book for those who enjoy this lost
golden age of air travel. Not great, but certainly above the average
Dr. Phil dreck that publishers ladle out these days:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

-cwk.
Old September 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Larry" wrote in
:

snip
The other day I saw a bunch of pictures of the old Pan American
seaplanes that used to ply the routes in the Caribbean a very long
time ago.

That would be interesting to see- got a link??

No, but I am trying to get the person who owns the pics to lend them to me
so I can scan and post them. They're unique and rare pics, I think I may
have to lug my notebook and scanner to his home!