Exam-O-Grams

Old March 31st 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default Exam-O-Grams

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Before the "web" the Exam-O-Gram was a method for the FAA to
answer questions and clear up misunderstood questions from
the limited number of written test questions.

They are public domain and they can be reprinted and
distributed for free or sold at a profit. But most are
obsolete, dealing with airspace and other regulatory matters
that have changed greatly in the past 30 years.

But with a disclaimer, that states clearly that they are
historical and may not be current or correct, why not, you
can scan them to a PDF file and put them on a CD.

I would love to see this material in pdf. or even better OCR as text or .doc

Once in editable format it should be a simple matter to remove parts that
are no longer correct.

Happy landings,

Old March 31st 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:04:16 -0400, Some Other Guy
wrote in
:

It's hard to find decent study material on the net. At least I've never
found any.

http://www.faa.gov/education_research/
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/
http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/
Old March 31st 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The ExamOgrams are mostly obsolete or have been printed in
later FAA textbooks. I would spend your time and money on
recent and current materials.

Old March 31st 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The main reason the FAA produced the ExamOgrams was because
they saw a pattern of missed questions on the exams they
were then using. Most of what is in them is either obsolete
or better done in later FAA texts and commercial texts..

Old April 2nd 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Kazdan

Different show--"Aviation Weather" was a morning show specifically about
the day's aviation weather predictions. It also had small educational
segments; I remember one about using VORs, which were relatively new to
small airplanes then.

I vaguely remember that it was a sponsored show, some FAA and industry
combination, that lost the money.

David

Chris G. wrote:
Actually, it was "AM Weather" and its last show was on February 3, 1995.
I remember seeing it as a kid and being extremely bored by it. Now I
would love it.

Reference (heh, from 1995 of all things):
http://www.balloonlife.com/publicati...5/avchannl.htm

tom418 wrote:
It is that old. Back in the mid '70s, there was a weekly PBS TV show on
"Aviation Weather" and they frequently mentioned the "exam-o-grams"

Old April 5th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

wrote in message
I was recently in a local used book store, and on their aviation shelf,
there was a bound copy (if staples count as binding) of FAA publication
AAC-45C, containing VFR and IFR "Exam-O-Grams".

I went ahead and put the VFR ones online. The IFR ones will be along in
a while; I'm not done scanning them yet. They are available as PDF
files at
http://www.birdbird.org/aviation/examogram/index.html . Please
use the email address on that page (or this one) for feedback. Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Thank you for your contribution and efforts.

Am I the only one who is unable to retrieve the .pdf files? Timed out?

Am I the only one who is unable to read black background?
Is difficulty reading red or dark blue text on black background age related?
(I think I am using good quality monitors.)
IIRC we all used green and amber on black with our first PCs and that white
background was considered to be a real benefit when it became available.

Happy landings,

Happy landings,

Old April 5th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Private wrote:
Am I the only one who is unable to retrieve the .pdf files? Timed out?

Looking through the logs, I see a mix of failed and apparently successful
attempts from your IP address starting at about 23:15 UTC 4 Apr and ending
at about 04:45 UTC 5 Apr. Were you able to download any of them
successfully or did you always have trouble? (There is something on the
server that might be causing that, but I'm trying to verify that it's
the problem before I change it.)

Am I the only one who is unable to read black background?

Probably not, but you're the first one to complain. If I get more
complaints I'll change it.

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Old April 5th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

wrote in message
Private wrote:
Am I the only one who is unable to retrieve the .pdf files? Timed out?

Looking through the logs, I see a mix of failed and apparently successful
attempts from your IP address starting at about 23:15 UTC 4 Apr and ending
at about 04:45 UTC 5 Apr. Were you able to download any of them
successfully or did you always have trouble? (There is something on the
server that might be causing that, but I'm trying to verify that it's
the problem before I change it.)

Thinking that your server was busy, I made several attempts during last
evening and again this morning but none were successful. On occasion I
would get other material (ie Outlook Express) appearing in IExplorer widow
while attempting download of .pdf. I would later get a small error window
saying "a file I/O error has occurred. The file connection timed out." The
back button returns to your index page correctly, then the forward button
results in "Error 403 - Forbidden etc etc." I have often downloaded .pdf
files from several sources but have not experienced this problem before.

Am I the only one who is unable to read black background?

Probably not, but you're the first one to complain. If I get more
complaints I'll change it.

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

I have developed a personal aversion to black backgrounds (particularly with
red or dark blue text) which is causing spontaneous rants. By highlighting
the text on your site I am able to change the text color to make it more
readable and on occasion have (used a technique learned from another
objector here) copied text to Notepad or Word in order to obtain a white
background. There have been some posts/threads here commenting on this
issue. Since I am experiencing some age related vision loss, I wondered if
this could be contributing to my problem.

Thanks for reply,
Happy landings,

Old April 5th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I was curious too, and was unable to download anything. I also think
that blue on black is an atrocious design.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

What was that welding exercise/exam? mhorowit Home Built 9 July 16th 06 12:50 AM
Private Exam Slick Piloting 8 December 3rd 04 04:27 AM
Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam - Includes Gleim TestPrep & Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam book Cecil Chapman Products 1 November 15th 04 04:22 PM
Medical Exam John Huthmaker Piloting 10 October 8th 04 02:23 AM
Brenda Anderson's EAA Chapter E-Grams Larry Smith Home Built 1 December 22nd 03 02:35 AM