Almost got My Ticket Yesterday

Old April 4th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Default Almost got My Ticket Yesterday

Thanks, I plan on a session with my instructor Thursday, weather permitting.

--
CareBear

"BT" wrote in message
CareBear... you are well on your way.. a session with the instructor and
you'll be good to go.
We look forward to hearing of the completed ride.

BT

"CareBear" wrote in message
First of all I have not posted/asked any questions of RAP and RAS since
last November. With all of the bickering, baiting, and other issues, I
decided not to participate. Please don't misinterpret what I am saying.
I am not pointing fingers or complaining about anyone in particular since
several members of this group have been involved in degrading the groups.
These are just my opinions. So much for that.....

I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a
landing and soft field landing. Everything else was ok. I plan to
practice and complete the requirements for the slip and soft field
landing this week, thereby acquiring my ticket. My main problem with the
slip was not maintaining the centerline during the actual slip. I will
not make any excuses (the wind, nervousness, etc.). When it's all said
and done, it was on me to be successful.

Although I did not get the ticket, I still feel good about the overall
outcome. It's interesting in that I felt my weakest area would be the
oral but this went well. I did have a couple of slips (no pun intended)
during the oral but quickly regrouped and gave the correct response. The
oral lasted about 2.5 hours. After reviewing my flight plan, weight and
balance, etc. we (the DPE and myself) took to the air. I had to do quite
a number of things such as slow flight, steep turns, power on and power
off stalls. Finally it was time for the dreaded diversion! I was
actually pleased with myself with the outcome. The diversion was
somewhat better than I had anticipated, especially since I did not land
but did a go around. Once we returned to airport, we discussed the
overall checkride. Of course, this also included the "well you didn't do
too good on the slip and the soft field landing" conversation. But
still, I was pleased with what I had accomplished. Now I am really
looking forward to finishing this week, weather and DPE availability
permitting.!!!!

BTW, the xc flight plan was from 3A1 (Cullman AL) to 7A0 (Greensboro AL)
and finally KMGM (Montgomery Dannelly Field).

Now, I will resume lurking.

--
CareBear

Old April 4th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Dudley, I appreciate the complement. Actually, I didn't stay away but
lurked instead. I have to say that sometimes reading the various threads is
better than a good comedy

--
CareBear

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news
Congratulations on your achievement Care Bear, but you didn't have to stay
away from the group because of the "noise".
There are always a whole bevy of experienced aviation type folks around
here to wade into any questions you might have had along the way.
Don't let the actions of a few deter you from frequenting the newsgroup.
With Usenet you always get the bad with the good . The secret is to just
ignore the bad and enjoy the good :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old April 4th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

You are right, Matt. It applies to life in general.

--
CareBear

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Congratulations on your achievement Care Bear, but you didn't have to
stay away from the group because of the "noise".
There are always a whole bevy of experienced aviation type folks around
here to wade into any questions you might have had along the way.
Don't let the actions of a few deter you from frequenting the newsgroup.
With Usenet you always get the bad with the good . The secret is to just
ignore the bad and enjoy the good :-))

And that applies to a lot more than aviation.

Matt

Old April 4th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Thanks. I'm hoping to get in a bit of work Thursday.

--
CareBear

"Roger" wrote in message
First, Congratulations on your accomplishments so far.
I'm sure that with a bit of work you'll do well next time.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:22:09 -0500, "CareBear"
wrote:

First of all I have not posted/asked any questions of RAP and RAS since
last
November. With all of the bickering, baiting, and other issues, I decided
not to participate. Please don't misinterpret what I am saying. I am not
pointing fingers or complaining about anyone in particular since several
members of this group have been involved in degrading the groups. These
are
just my opinions. So much for that.....

You've lurked long enough to probably have a good idea as to who can
be believed about what. You just have to sort through the chaf at
times.

I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful
in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a landing and soft
field landing. Everything else was ok. I plan to practice and complete
the
requirements for the slip and soft field landing this week, thereby
acquiring my ticket. My main problem with the slip was not maintaining
the
centerline during the actual slip. I will not make any excuses (the wind,
nervousness, etc.). When it's all said and done, it was on me to be
successful.

Being able to accept what went wrong is a good point in itself. Few
are able to do that.

Hang in there,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old April 4th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

Planning on practicing both maneuvers Thursday.

--
CareBear

"kontiki" wrote in message
CareBear congrats on nailing all but a couple of rather minor
things! Getting 'dinged' on one or two things on a check ride
is not at all uncommon (I've had 5 check rides and its happened
to me on two of them) Despite all your hard work and effort it
only takes a tiny loss of concentration and a bit of nervousness
to blow a manuever ... and some PE's are more forgiving than others!

Practice a couple more slips and soft-field landings and you'll
be good to go! thanks for the post.

Old April 4th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message
ink.net...
CareBear wrote:
[...]

95% congratulations!! :-)

The slip is tough to master, it is a confidence thing. Putting the plane
into that flying profile can be daunting and a bit scary. I remember it
took me awhile but I finally got the hang of it when I had my instructor
teach a whole lesson of flying in a slip. We flew up and down route 2 in
massachusetts (using the road as a centerline) for 2 hours doing slips,
climbing, slipping etc.

The big thing for me was learning to use the rudder, really use the
rudder. I still still screw it up on x-wind landings. It is almost like
you can't use enough rudder. You think you have enough, add more.

Good job on the other parts of the exam. Like most things, the anxiety of
the imagined scenario are worse than the reality of the scenario. You'll
get it for sure! Good luck.

KC

Thanks KC. I will definitely get the hang of it with a little more training
with my instructor.

CareBear

Old April 4th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

"JB" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 11:22 pm, "CareBear" wrote:
[...]

You've got the right attitude about the your checkride!! Alot of
people (including me!) come away from a failed checkride depressed and
dejected. After all those hours, I felt like %#$@ that I couldn't
make it thru. But after I picked myself up by my belt loops and got
back in the plane, it was a piece of cake the next time. And it will
be for you also.

As others have noted, slips are one of the toughest manuevers to
master. You're on final and your eyes are moving up and down at warp
speed between the gauges to make sure you've got the right airspeed,
and the outside to watch the centerline. Putting the plane in that
"unnatural" configuration and keeping it there only makes it worse.
And if the wind is shifting or gusting, you then have to adjust the
amount of slip to compensate. All together, its a pretty tough flying
environment.

A few more landings with your instructor, and you'll have that little
piece of paper in your hand! And then it will get to the point that
you actually WISH for a windy/gusty day to get out there and practice
those crosswind landings in challenging conditions! Good luck!

--Jeff

Jeff, I admit slips are rather hard. But I will be working to overcome them
(and soon).

--
CareBear

Old April 4th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

--
CareBear
"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 8:22 pm, "CareBear" wrote:

I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful
in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a landing and
soft
field landing.

Ah. A little more instruction and you'll have those down pat. Anyone
can screw up an item or two on a check ride. More than that, though,
and you begin to wonder about the instructor.

Congratulations on the rest. You'll have your ticket soon and a well
deserved sense of accomplishment.

Thanks cjc.

--
CareBear

Old April 4th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Euan Kilgour

With a positive attitude like yours, you'll be PP-ASEL before you know
it Carebear!

May I ask what plane you sat your checkride in?

Old April 4th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
CareBear

--
CareBear
"Cary" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 10:22 pm, "CareBear" wrote:
...snip
I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful
in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a landing and
soft
field landing. Everything else was ok. I plan to practice and complete
the
requirements for the slip and soft field landing this week, thereby
acquiring my ticket. My main problem with the slip was not maintaining
the
centerline during the actual slip. I will not make any excuses (the
wind,
nervousness, etc.). When it's all said and done, it was on me to be
successful.

snip...

Now, I will resume lurking.

--
CareBear

You have my sympathy. I know how it feels to bust a check ride, as I
had to take my multi add-on a second time (busted the off field NDB
approach). No matter how good you feel about the rest of the check
ride, I suspect that deep down it still hurts somewhat to have
"busted." However, as others have said, you are in good company
because many outstanding pilots have busted at one time or another.
Also, as others have stated, the leniency of the DPE's are variable. I
remember on my private exam I bounced the soft-field landing and the
DPE asked me which bounce I wanted to use for the landing. She didn't
bust me on that, although she easily could have done so.

Doing the forward slip is very much like a x-wind landing. You may
want to go to an airport that is not too busy and practice the slip
procedure as you approach a runway with a moderate x-wind. You don't
have to land if the x-wind is too great, but just try to keep the
plane going down the centerline using the aileron to correct for the
wind and the opposite rudder to keep the nose straight down the
runway.

Good luck on your re-take.

Cary

Cary, I would be lying if I say it didn't hurt to not get my ticket. But
the hurt lasted only a few minutes. I realized that I had accomplished a
lot in less than a year. I've accomplished what "some" on this newsgroup
will never accomplish. So I don't feel too bad

CareBear

WTB: 135 Ticket AML General Aviation 2 May 30th 06 03:10 PM
WTB: 135 Ticket AML Piloting 28 May 26th 06 04:10 PM
WTB:135 Ticket AML Owning 1 May 24th 06 08:41 PM
WTB: 135 Ticket AML Aviation Marketplace 1 May 24th 06 03:32 PM
Got my ticket... now what? Cub Driver Piloting 3 July 10th 03 07:14 AM