Pipistrel Kit Aircraft now FAA 51% Accepted

Old November 26th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Eric Greenwell

Default Pipistrel Kit Aircraft now FAA 51% Accepted

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ect certification of an individual aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

C'mon Ron. You make it sound like the FAA guys are an officious bunch of
self righteous bureaucrats!

What else do they call themselves?

The ones I've worked with called themselves things like "Bob",
"Charlie", and "Sue", while they went out of their way to certify my
glider, set up our wave windows, and get me the waiver I requested.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 26th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:20:28 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message
roups.com...
They could still get a Experimental-Exhibition tho right? Not quite the
freedom a Amateur built COFA gives, but can still fly it.

That depends where they stick you in the Exp/Exh structure. Some of the
subcategories are more restrictive than others.

The guys building the Me262s in Washington State came within a gnat's eyelash of
getting them Experimental/Amateur-Built. The DAR was going to sign them off,
but the local FSDO refused to allow it. They've got Exp/Exh, but with pretty
loose restrictions.

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 26th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:20:28 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message
groups.com...
They could still get a Experimental-Exhibition tho right? Not quite the
freedom a Amateur built COFA gives, but can still fly it.

That depends where they stick you in the Exp/Exh structure. Some of the
subcategories are more restrictive than others.

The guys building the Me262s in Washington State came within a gnat's eyelash
of
getting them Experimental/Amateur-Built. The DAR was going to sign them off,
but the local FSDO refused to allow it. They've got Exp/Exh, but with pretty
loose restrictions.

I thought they were going to get the same classification as other warbirds,
since they were built according to factory plans, or is that what the other
warbirds get?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:20:28 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message
groups.com...
They could still get a Experimental-Exhibition tho right? Not quite the
freedom a Amateur built COFA gives, but can still fly it.

That depends where they stick you in the Exp/Exh structure. Some of the
subcategories are more restrictive than others.

The guys building the Me262s in Washington State came within a gnat's
eyelash of
getting them Experimental/Amateur-Built. The DAR was going to sign them
off,
but the local FSDO refused to allow it. They've got Exp/Exh, but with
pretty
loose restrictions.

You wouldn't have a copy of their op limitations, do ya?

Old November 26th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Juan Jimenez wrote:
ect certification of an individual aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja
C'mon Ron. You make it sound like the FAA guys are an officious bunch of
self righteous bureaucrats!

What else do they call themselves?

The ones I've worked with called themselves things like "Bob", "Charlie",
and "Sue", while they went out of their way to certify my glider, set up
our wave windows, and get me the waiver I requested.

Lucky you, you ran into the minority...

Old November 26th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:47:51 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
.. .

The guys building the Me262s in Washington State came within a gnat's eyelash
of getting them Experimental/Amateur-Built. The DAR was going to sign them off,
but the local FSDO refused to allow it. They've got Exp/Exh, but with pretty
loose restrictions.

I thought they were going to get the same classification as other warbirds,
since they were built according to factory plans, or is that what the other
warbirds get?

You're probably right. The head of the operation is a member of EAA 26 (past
president, in fact) and he gave a talk at the last meeting, including the tale
of the certification process. Afterwards, I asked how bad his restrictions
were, and they sounded little different from Exp/Am-Built. They are permanent,
too, they don't have to be renewed every year like some of the Exp/Exh
airplanes. IIRC, he said it took them four months to get the first 262
licensed, and two weeks for the second. Beyond that, I can't tell you the
operating limitations.

The planes aren't just built to factory plans, they are considered factory
aircraft. Daimler Benz Aerospace assigned them the next five serial numbers on
from the wartime records. Other than critical safety issues (modern engines,
modern alloys, etc.), these planes are built the same as the wartime aircraft.
They've got steel where the WWII models had steel (LOTS of steel) and wood where
Messerschmitt used wood. They've even got dummy guns (needed for CG) and have
tankage for only 60-90 minutes of fuel.

One landing gear leg collapsed on the second landing, and it turned out to be a
manifestation of a common wartime fault (a built-up of tolerances in the
mechanism). After it happened, one of the old-time Messerschmitt mechanics
called from Germany to tell them exactly what to look for....

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 26th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Eric Greenwell

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ect certification of an individual aircraft.
Ron Wanttaja
C'mon Ron. You make it sound like the FAA guys are an officious bunch of
self righteous bureaucrats!
What else do they call themselves?

The ones I've worked with called themselves things like "Bob", "Charlie",
and "Sue", while they went out of their way to certify my glider, set up
our wave windows, and get me the waiver I requested.

Lucky you, you ran into the minority...

It's not luck when it happens repeatedly over a 30 year period at
multiple FSDOs, towers, and elsewhere. I do know people that always seem
to get the obnoxious ones, and it's not luck then, either.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 26th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ect certification of an individual aircraft.
Ron Wanttaja
C'mon Ron. You make it sound like the FAA guys are an officious bunch
of self righteous bureaucrats!
What else do they call themselves?
The ones I've worked with called themselves things like "Bob",
"Charlie", and "Sue", while they went out of their way to certify my
glider, set up our wave windows, and get me the waiver I requested.

Lucky you, you ran into the minority...

It's not luck when it happens repeatedly over a 30 year period at multiple
FSDOs, towers, and elsewhere. I do know people that always seem to get the
obnoxious ones, and it's not luck then, either.

In my experience, running into "good ones" all the time means that whoever
is doing the running has figured out there are things the FAA doesn't need
to know.

Old November 27th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jack

Juan Jimenez wrote:

In my experience, running into "good ones" all the time means that whoever
is doing the running has figured out there are things the FAA doesn't need
to know.

Juan, any boy with parents learns that by the time he's ten.

Good luck.

Jack
Old November 27th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bruce Greef

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ect certification of an individual aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

C'mon Ron. You make it sound like the FAA guys are an officious
bunch of self righteous bureaucrats!

What else do they call themselves?

The ones I've worked with called themselves things like "Bob",
"Charlie", and "Sue", while they went out of their way to certify my
glider, set up our wave windows, and get me the waiver I requested.

Lucky you, you ran into the minority...

It's not luck when it happens repeatedly over a 30 year period at
multiple FSDOs, towers, and elsewhere. I do know people that always seem
to get the obnoxious ones, and it's not luck then, either.

Touche Eric, I was wondering if there was a good way to say that.