Auburn, CA?

Old July 27th 05, 03:16 AM

Default Auburn, CA?

Anybody wanna give me a pirep on Auburn? It's not impossible that I
might be moving that direction from the midwest...

How's the airport "climate"? How is the FBO? Hangars available? Is
there a group of airport regulars that hang around, or is it all just
business?

Thanks!

-Dave Russell
N2S-3

Old July 27th 05, 04:43 AM
Robert M. Gary

I believe I saw an ad for hangers in Auburn recently. If not, Lincoln
is usually looking for airplanes. The weather in Auburn is CAVU 95% of
the time. The valley will get fog some AMs in the winter but Auburn
will rarely see any of it. The runway is large and the terrain is easy
around it. On weekends the airport gets pretty busy. It's a VERY
popular breakfast stop because of a little resturant on the field.
I don't think you will deal with the FBO. I believe the hangers are
managed directly by the airport manager.

-Robert

Old July 27th 05, 05:04 AM
Doug

Auburn has a great airport. Right in town. There are the usual airport
guys hangin'. Nice place. Don't know about hangars or tiedowns, but I
met a guy there who had kept his Super Cub tied down for 25 years,
outside with no problems. Same fabric in good shape. They must not get
that really direct sun, though like Robert said, it is usually above
the valley fog. Guess they don't get hail storms much either?

Old July 27th 05, 06:42 AM
Robert M. Gary

What's this "hail" stuff you speak of?

-Robert NorCal resident

Old July 28th 05, 03:51 AM

Dave -- Ditto to the previous response. Auburn, CA is a FANTASTIC
airport from my standpoints. Best of all the adorable waitstaff at the
restaurant on field. Not to mention the great food . no matter what
the time on weekend mornings there is always a line. I have had my
plane worked on there and they do a fantastic job. I cannot recommned
it highly enough.

N3437D

Old July 29th 05, 08:16 AM
Potato Chip

http://www.airnav.com/airport/AUN

field elevation is only 1,500 ft., so unless it was blistering hot, you
should have had nearly normal power.

i landed runway 25 for my long cross-country several weeks ago. i
thought i remembered a slight uphill, thus, it would be downslope for
runway 7. preferred departing runway is 7 straight-out, so that seems
to confirm your thought.

PIO is a bad bad thing.

Jay
PP-ASEL

Old July 30th 05, 06:37 PM
Cecil Chapman

Great little airport. One caution though, at TPA you have to keep your
peepers glued to keep track of the runway because the runway sits on a
slight elevation. Restaurant on-field is good!

I have some pictures of it and the restaurant on my just-for-fun 'flying
journal' at the URL that is in my signature below.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old August 1st 05, 05:49 PM
RST Engineering

It is just [sniff] baja Grass Valley.

{;-)

Actually, it is a very nice small town airport. You might want to
investigate Georgetown and Grass Valley for comparisons.

Jim

ups.com...