Best Rope to purchase for Auto Tows?

Old October 16th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best Rope to purchase for Auto Tows?

I am looking for the benefit of recent experience with modern ropes
for auto tows. We fly off a 5000 foot grass runway (with a couple of
rocky spots). What size and type of rope would be best?

Bill Snead
Old October 16th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Oct 15, 9:21*pm, " wrote:
I am looking for the benefit of recent experience with modern ropes
for auto tows. *We fly off a 5000 foot grass runway (with a couple of
rocky spots). *What size and type of rope would be best?

Bill Snead

Arguably the 'best' would be Amsteel Blue from Sampson Rope (~$0.41/
Ft.) 3/16" diameter would give you 5400 Lbs-F breaking strength and
weight about 1Lb/100 feet. It has about 10x the strength/weight and
15x the abrasion resistance of steel. If you prefer, it's available
in other colors.

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192
Old October 16th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

please see http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page30.htm
I offer all types including Poly ropes, Dacron and Spectra all at very
competative prices
thanks
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5536 (20101016) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5536 (20101016) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old October 17th 10, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Oct 15, 10:21*pm, " wrote:
I am looking for the benefit of recent experience with modern ropes
for auto tows. *We fly off a 5000 foot grass runway (with a couple of
rocky spots). *What size and type of rope would be best?

1: Based on personal experience, I would advise against using
polypropylene rope for autotow: it's much too elastic. The amount of
rubber-banding during the initial part of an autotow launch of a 1000
ft - plus poly rope is very interesting, and adds one extra,
unnecessary safety consideration to the first phase of launch: having
the rope go completely slack d/t elasticity just about the time the
glider is 15 or 20 feet off the ground and barely above stall is, in
my judgment, not desirable.

2: After the initial poly experience, our club switched to low-stretch
1/4" dacron rope in 1500' lengths from David Bradley (now via Wings &
Wheels). We actually strength-tested our ropes at first; found that
new rope broke at about 1700-1800 lb as claimed, and as the rope
abraded through being (inevitably) dragged along our highly abrasive
5000-ft runway, during a season the 100 yards of rope nearest the tow
vehicle decreased to about 1100-1200 lb (and became the actual weak
link). Your experience will be better on grass, though the fibers will
pick up sand, that will chafe internally and decrease strength.

3. Jacketed rope would wear longer but is more time-consuming to
splice in attaching hardware or when it does break, and is more
expensive. We did not try it.

4: I replaced the 1/4" steel cables of my hangar door with 1/4"
Spectra, and am very pleased with its durability and the lack of steel
slivers We are thinking of changing from Dacron to Spectra next time
we buy rope.

I would expect tow-vehicle traction to be a concern on a grass runway,
as grass is slippery. This would be mitigated with a (slow) running
start: use about 50 ft of slack rope, drive the tow vehicle about
about 10-15 mph until the slack comes out. Withf 1500 ft of woven
rope, this does not jerk the glider; meanwhile, there's less tire spin
and it's much easier on the engine and transmission. (Only an
automatic transmission is safe and durable; staying in a single gear
through the tow is highly desirable, as shifts take the power out of
the tow at poor times.)
Old October 17th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Oct 17, 3:11*am, danlj wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:21*pm, " wrote:

[...]

I would agree with the above. UHMWPE/Dyneema/Spectra/Amsteel Blue are
essentially the same thing and due to their high strength and light
weight are the preferred rope material. (It's good to see Tim Mara
selling Spectra at a very good price.)

We did a bunch of math on auto tow on the winch interest groups.
Straight auto tow requires a lot of room so doesn't make good use of
runway length. Going to a 2:1 "two-pulley" system with the rope
anchored at the upwind fence next to a pulley and a pulley on the tow
car converts the operation to essentially a winch and reduces the tow
car speed by half - but it also doubles the traction effort required.

The heaviest gliders require a black 10,000 DaN (2200 LbF) weak link
so the tow car would need to produce up to a 4400 LbF tractive effort
which is probably more than a grass surface can support.

Most operations serious about ground launch convert to a winch which
isn't limited by traction and does less damage to airfield grass.
Well run, a winch his faster to cycle than auto tow.

Tows at Ely [email protected] Soaring 1 April 22nd 09 12:45 PM
USA: Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA [email protected] Soaring 7 January 26th 06 04:29 PM
We have done auto tows in the past few years Joe Allbritten Soaring 2 March 5th 04 03:45 AM
Using Plasma Rope For Winch Tows Craig Freeman Soaring 56 August 24th 03 10:55 PM