Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

Old January 7th 04, 12:02 AM
David Brooks

Around he The Museum of Flight, the small Olympia museum, and the
Tillamook hangar.

For the MoF, I'm not certain that transient parking is usually available in
the SW corner of BFI, but I believe it is. If so, you can park in the shadow
of the Concorde, but you do have to walk around the building to the street
side right now.

-- David Brooks

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command

Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those

of
us who might actually fly in!

1. Rantoul, Illinois. The Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum You can taxi
right up to this one, and park just a few dozen feet away from an F-14
Tomcat. (Sadly, when we were there last month they had the back door
locked, so we had to walk around to the front of the building. This is a
giant hangar, so that was no small feat, with kids in tow...)
See it at: http://www.aeromuseum.org/

2. Topeka, Kansas. Combat Air Museum. Ditto above. Another great museum
located on the old Forbes Field air base.
See it at http://www.combatairmuseum.org/

3. Greenfield Iowa. Iowa Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame. Small, but

very
good.
See it at http://www.flyingmuseum.com/

4. Ottumwa, Iowa. Airpower Museum and Antique Aircraft Association. This
is on a small, private, grass strip which is home to the most amazing

annual
fly-in every summer. Call ahead for permission to land.
See it at http://www.aaa-apm.org/ .

5. Oshkosh, WI. EAA Airventure Museum. This one is only "sort of"
accessible by air. When I flew in during the winter in '95, I had to park
on the opposite side of the airport (miles away) at Basler, and they drove
us over to the museum.
See it at http://www.airventuremuseum.org/.

Can you add any more to this list?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 04, 12:07 AM
Jim

The Canadian bushplane museum is on the St. Marys river in Sault Ste.
Maria. Free docking if you have a floatplane.
Drew Dalgleish

I was there last summer. Great museum with plenty of history of the
Canadian fire-bombers and some great sea-planes/bush planes you won't see
anywhere else. (several that are open to you to crawl around on/in) But I
thought that they closed the sea-plane base down or I would have mentioned
it. Anyway, I'm headed back next summer. Weekend trip to Mackinac Island
with a day trip up to Sault Ste. Marie (UP MI side) and a taxi ride over to
the museum.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old January 7th 04, 12:10 AM
Larry Smith

Can you add any more to this list?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Yep, Jay, WNC Air Museum is in Hendersonville, NC and is accessible by two
runways --- 0A7 and the Museum's own sod field. www.wncairmuseum.com

I guess the museum is still at Santa Monica, CA and the Planes of Fame
Museum in Chino, both on airports.

Old January 7th 04, 12:23 AM
Kent

" Can you add any more to this list?
--

New England Air Museum at Bradley International Airport, (BDL) Windsor
Locks, CT. They have a website ,but it appears to be down.

Kent

Old January 7th 04, 12:33 AM
rip

The Hiller Museum is at San Carlos, just south of SFO. Excellent museum,
and you can fly right there. And on the other coast, there's the New
England Air Museum, at Bradley International, in Windsor Locks, CT.

Rip

wrote:
In article FeGKb.751015$HS4.5883554@attbi_s01, Jay Honeck says...

[...]

Chino, CA
The Hiller museum, somewhere up around San Jose

Old January 7th 04, 12:34 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:57:50 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

Dittos with McMinnville, Ore. and the Spruce Goose, but I expect Ousterhout
or Springer will report in before I do.

The museum at McMinnville is on the far side of the highway from the
airport...no way to taxi nearer. Half-mile or so walk.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 7th 04, 12:42 AM
Michael 182

Reading Airport, Reading PA has a museum you can easily walk to from one of
the FBOs.

Also Republic on LI - although I don't know wabout taxiing to the museum.

And Rhinebeck, NY - never been there but I've heard it's great.

"James Blakely" wrote in
message ...

Old January 7th 04, 12:46 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Also the Kalamazoo air museum is on the field and I can't remember if I got a

lift
over there from the FBO or not.

The musuem has a small ramp for visiting aircraft. At least last time I was
there 2 years ago (wow, was it THAT long ago..)

--
Mike

Old January 7th 04, 12:47 AM
Hamish Reid

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those of
us who might actually fly in!

Can you add any more to this list?

Castle Air Museum, http://www.elite.net/castle-air/. Right next door
-- easy walking distance -- to KMER (Castle Airport, Merced), the old
Castle Airforce Base. (yes, you get 11,000' of runway to play with and
an apron built for dozens of B-52s on the way to the tiedowns).

The mueum itself is great -- everything from an SR-71 and a B-52 to a
Cessna "Blue Canoe". I've spent several days there... (but the food
there is dreadful).

Hamish