Lonely up there?

Old March 22nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

I've noticed that Boston Center's radar coverage get's quite spotty on the
NY/VT/NH area. No doubt because of the mountains. The MEA of 5000 is very
strict in that 4,500 seems to be where I lose radio contact. I basically
have to cancel before I descend if it's VMC.

Marco
"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
Yeah flying from Niagara falls to Vermont on a weekday afternoon. There
was not much chatter at all, no traffic alerts just handoffs. By the
time I got handed off to Boston Center we were exchanging pleasantries
and I told them after I had fed and fueled I'd continue VFR to Maine so
they said "Call us when you get high enough to hear us and we'll be here"

paul kgyy wrote:
It appeared to be a long time since last hearing from ATC on a recent
flight, and sure enough, "27D can you still hear us?". I still could,
and they transferred me to a local approach control.

Anybody ever just call them up to see if they forgot about you? I did
that once over Toledo.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 22nd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, Robert Chambers said:
My sister however was impressed that not only did PVD approach let us
through their airspace but also made sure we had "warm and fuzzy
feelings" as well.

First time I flew to Canada, my wife was impressed that Oshawa airport
dimmed their lights up and down so I could pick them out.

She was also impressed that Bradley Tower wanted to make sure we had a
hotel when we went up there for parent's weekend. (I've explained ATIS to
her before, so I think she was joking. I hope.)

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If God had intended man to fly he would have given him enough money for a
Old March 22nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

When I'm heading up to Ottawa, though, sometimes I have to call Wheeler
Sack to remind them that they're supposed to give me a re-route (you can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US, but as you're approaching the ART
VOR they give you a re-route to fly to CYRIL and then execute the CYRIL
ONE arrival).

You can file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US. Who said you couldn't?

Old March 22nd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

When I'm heading up to Ottawa, though, sometimes I have to call Wheeler
Sack to remind them that they're supposed to give me a re-route (you can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US, but as you're approaching the ART
VOR they give you a re-route to fly to CYRIL and then execute the CYRIL
ONE arrival).

You can file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US. Who said you couldn't?

Buffalo FSS. Every time I try, they say it's not in their computer. I
can't do it in DUATS either.

"Invalid route element identifier CYRIL
OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART CYRIL' is invalid"

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Programmer (n): One who makes the lies the salesman told come true.
Old March 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Buffalo FSS. Every time I try, they say it's not in their computer. I
can't do it in DUATS either.

Fixes are filed regularly that aren't stored in some facility's computer.
Fixes can be filed that don't even exist, you just have to know how to
satisfy the computer.

"Invalid route element identifier CYRIL
OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART CYRIL' is invalid"

CYRIL is not stored so the computer doesn't know where to go after ART. You
just need to file something between ART and CYRIL that the computer can
process. The simplest would be the coordinates of CYRIL. File 'V2 KONDO
ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' next time. The computer then has something after ART
it can work with and it doesn't care what comes after that.

Old March 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Invalid route element identifier CYRIL
OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART CYRIL' is invalid"

CYRIL is not stored so the computer doesn't know where to go after ART. You
just need to file something between ART and CYRIL that the computer can
process. The simplest would be the coordinates of CYRIL. File 'V2 KONDO
ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' next time. The computer then has something after ART
it can work with and it doesn't care what comes after that.

Invalid route element identifier CYRIL

OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' is invalid

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator
Old March 22nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Invalid route element identifier CYRIL

OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' is invalid

The Flight Data Processing computer will accept that route.

Old March 22nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Invalid route element identifier CYRIL

OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' is invalid

Who's OLAB? Why are you even bothering to call a FSS?

Old March 22nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Invalid route element identifier CYRIL

OLAB quickpath command did not finish successfully
Parameter 9: 'V2 KONDO ART 4458/7518 CYRIL' is invalid

Who's OLAB? Why are you even bothering to call a FSS?

This is using DUATS. It's the only way I can get textual proof that I did
it - if I phoned Buffalo AFSS and tried to enter the flight plan, you'd
just deny that I did it right.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's not hard, it's just asking for a visit by the ****up fairy.
Old March 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

This is using DUATS. It's the only way I can get textual proof that I did
it - if I phoned Buffalo AFSS and tried to enter the flight plan, you'd
just deny that I did it right.

But you did say you were using Buffalo FSS. In your first message you said
you can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US, we know that's not correct. Is the
problem with DUATS or is it with FSS?