Is it colder at the approach end of the runway?

Old April 2nd 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Default Is it colder at the approach end of the runway?

My dad drives along the south side of OKC to work every day and his OAT
in his car always goes a few degrees colder around the where the
extended centerline for the runways would intersect the road. Then it
goes right back up after he is through that area. He thinks this is
because the airplanes are descending from very cold air and bringing
down some of it with them. He has noted that this isn't always the case
but it often is. You would think most of the traffic would be landing
from the north since our winds are mostly from the south, but it seems
like I see a lot of traffic coming in from the south, maybe because it
is easier for the traffic from DFW to just come strait in.

Anyway, any one here think it is really the case that the planes are
causing the temperature to be lower on the approach end of the runway?
I guess if he monitored the ATIS frequency to find out which runway was
active when he drives by every day, he would have a better idea.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old April 2nd 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris W

Chris W wrote:
maybe because it
is easier for the traffic from DFW to just come strait in.

Make that "straight"

Old April 2nd 07, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Chris W writes:

My dad drives along the south side of OKC to work every day and his OAT
in his car always goes a few degrees colder around the where the
extended centerline for the runways would intersect the road. Then it
goes right back up after he is through that area. He thinks this is
because the airplanes are descending from very cold air and bringing
down some of it with them.

I would not have thought of that, but it's certainly plausible. Aircraft
produce a massive downwash of air behind them that (at least in theory) drifts
downward until it encounters the ground. In the case of aircraft very near
the surface (as during landing and take-off), it's entirely possible that they
might produce gentle downdrafts of colder air that reach the ground. I think
it would take fairly constant traffic using the runway to make a clear
difference, though.

It's a bit like the constant wind that one often feels by the side of a
highway or major city street, always in the direction of traffic. Moving
vehicles do displace a lot of air.

He has noted that this isn't always the case
but it often is. You would think most of the traffic would be landing
from the north since our winds are mostly from the south, but it seems
like I see a lot of traffic coming in from the south, maybe because it
is easier for the traffic from DFW to just come strait in.

Things like noise abatement and other concerns might obligate the airport to
work against the wind, at least if the wind speed is low enough (less than 10
knots or so).

Anyway, any one here think it is really the case that the planes are
causing the temperature to be lower on the approach end of the runway?

I think it's plausible.

Also, if the extended centerline is mostly open area (not buildings or roads),
that could make a difference as well. An open field is often colder than a
large building, because it absorbs solar energy less rapidly and retains it
less efficiently, and because it doesn't generate any heat of its own.

Old April 2nd 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Chris W writes:

[...]

You would, fjukktard.

Bertie
Old April 2nd 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is farther away from the built-up areas of the town, so
it is cooler. Houses make heat and so do factories.

Old April 2nd 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Chris W" wrote in message
[...]

Which airport in OKC???

Old April 2nd 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Maybe an active localizer/glideslope signal is affecting the thermometer
components. Air does not "stick" to an airframe enough to change the ambient
temperature of a given area no matter how small.

Marco

Old April 2nd 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris W wrote:
[...]

I doubt it.

If airplanes were having an effect on air temperature, I would expect
it would be warmer from all the engine heat, just as freeways are
warmer then the adjacent area.

Most likely it is due to the local arrangement of "stuff" such as
asphalt, concrete, trees, grass, buildings, etc.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 8:25 am, wrote:
Chris W wrote:
[...]

I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

-Robert

Old April 2nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

It seems logical.

In New York City, it's always 6-8 degrees warmer at night than the
suburbs, supposedly because of the heat held by the buildings.

Cheers,
Kev

A WHAT Ran off the End of our Runway?? Marco Leon Piloting 10 May 17th 06 02:46 AM
Runway ID Lakeview Bill Piloting 55 October 18th 05 12:53 AM
Runway needs of F4U and F-4 ???? vincent p. norris Naval Aviation 8 October 6th 05 07:18 PM
Completing the Non-precision approach as a Visual Approach John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 45 November 20th 03 05:20 AM
Runway in Use Sniper@SDU Simulators 11 October 8th 03 10:57 AM