B is for Governor candidate Jim Weir

Old August 12th 03, 05:12 AM
Montblack

Default B is for Governor candidate Jim Weir

"W"eir = letter B ...sort-of.

The recall alphabet: R, W, Q, O, J, M, V, A, H, B, S, G, Z, X, N, T, C, I,
E, K, U, P, D, Y, F, L.

(various paragraphs snipped from CNN.com)
Under the California election process, here's how the voting will work: The
candidates' names will be alphabetized based on the alphabet that was
selected Monday, with the candidates' second and following letters being
looked at according to the same list if needed to determine the order within
each group of initial letters.

Officials will then make 80 different lists -- one for each of the state's
voting districts -- by moving each name on top of one list to the bottom of
the next.

Not all candidates will see their name at the top of a list, however, since
there are more than 80 candidates.

The new alphabet means plenty of confusion for voters who come to the polls.
Short of memorizing the recall alphabet, they'll have to scroll through the
entire list of names carefully to find the name they're looking for.

It could all be for naught, however, if California voters buck a poll that
shows 64 percent saying they will vote to recall Gov. Gray Davis, the first
choice on a two-part ballot. The second part, of course, is to pick one of
the many candidates to replace him, a logistical nightmare for elections
officials and a brain teaser for voters.

If the recall succeeds, the candidate with the most votes -- no majority is
necessary -- will take over as governor immediately and serve the remaining
three years of Davis' term.

--
Montblack
I really "like to watch" this political stuff

Old August 12th 03, 04:34 PM
C J Campbell

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
.. .
| no majority is
| necessary -- will take over as governor immediately and serve the
| remaining
| three years of Davis' term.
|
| Always amazes me when I see a line like this, the voter turnout is
| consistently so poor in this country that candidates are put in power with
| votes from the minority of the population

Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Old August 12th 03, 06:50 PM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Funny that you would lump Singapore in with those other three countries.
Strict, yes. Oppressive? I don't think so.

Maybe "invariably" doesn't mean what you think it means.

I'll bet if I knew the voter turn-out rates for every country in the world
where voting occurs, I'd be able to provide a lot more counter-examples.

Pete

Old August 12th 03, 07:12 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Nazi Germany.

Interesting that you mention them,,,, don't we have a Fatherland Security
Administration (oops I mean 'Homeland' security,,, sounds kinda similar...
:-/) ,now and that embarrassing mandatory registration of middle eastern
folks shortly after 9-1-1. Heck, I'm surprised that Bush, that good ole boy,
didn't demand they be loaded into trains like that fellow with the mustache
did. Last I checked one was innocent before being proved guilty... whole
thing turns my stomach,,, stakes are being driven into the very heart of The
Constitution of The United States and the general public is more concerned
with whether Britney Spears breasts are real and if J-Lo and Afleck are
breaking up....... Sheesh, too many dumb sheep....!

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Old August 12th 03, 07:35 PM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
"C J Campbell" wrote:

[...]

Why does this amaze you? Countries with extremely high voter turnouts are
invariably oppressive regimes like Soviet Russia, Iraq, or Nazi Germany.

Or Australia... oops.

Hamish (one-time Australian, where the turnout often exceeded 90%)
Old August 12th 03, 09:32 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Cecil E.
Chapman" wrote:

P.S. as an aside.... remember that PATRIOT ACT and 'MCCARTHYISM' have
almost the same number of letters

ah, proof that the Patriot Act is evil.

--
Bob Noel
Old August 13th 03, 06:02 AM
Larry Fransson

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:

P.S. as an aside.... remember that PATRIOT ACT and 'MCCARTHYISM' have
almost the same number of letters

ah, proof that the Patriot Act is evil.

Wow, and JOURNALISM has exactly the same number of letters as PATRIOT
ACT, and EDUCATION has almost as many. This is getting scary!

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!
Old August 13th 03, 06:12 AM
Jeff Franks

some stuff clipped here

and that embarrassing mandatory registration of middle eastern
folks shortly after 9-1-1. Heck, I'm surprised that Bush, that good ole

boy,
didn't demand they be loaded into trains like that fellow with the

mustache
did.

So, what would you do? When the enemy is 99.9999999% (no that's not a
varifiable number, but you get the point) young middle eastern men, then
shouldn't we take a harder look at the people that come into our country
(citizens aside) and determine their motives? I don't feel that it is
anyway comparable to Hitler. It only makes good common sense.

Old August 14th 03, 07:55 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

So, what would you do? When the enemy is 99.9999999% (no that's not a
verifiable number, but you get the point) young middle eastern men,

The thread (my fault, mostly) is going way beyond the original scope of the
original post,,, so this is the last nugget I'll share on this.

Why do we have such short memories when it comes to U.S. History,,,, some
of the older members of our group might be able to recall the movement of
U.S. citizens who happened to be Japanese sent to interment camps though
they had violated no law and not been tried or convicted of any treason -
but simply had different eyes than the white folk that tossed them into
interment camps during the war with Japan. These people lost homes and
property and endured unjust detainment.

I'm just saying,,, innocent until proven guilty,,,, investigations using due
process of law - searches with writs/warrants.

Benjamin Franklin said it best: "Those that would trade essential liberty
for a little temporary security... deserver neither!"

And the tag line of that Pledge of Allegiance ....... and justice for
ALL....

Old August 14th 03, 08:09 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

Oh, for corn sake, please get this crap out of anything with my name on

it,
please?

Jim

Yes, but if you became governor more crap than you can imagine would land on
your lap from good ole' Gray Davis. It will be mentioned in conjunction
with your name in the newspapers, indeed if one becomes a politician they
automatically turn into flypaper so that any crap that goes on (regardless
of whether they had anything to do with it or not) will readily adhere to
their person.

So politicians must make peace with crap, become one with it and incorporate
it into their speeches. As Yoda, in Star Wars warned..... "The Crap will be
with you,,,,,,,, always....... " :-

All the current gubernatorial candidates should watch not to let their
political aspirations get up too high,,, currently my son's oldest guinea
pig may go on the ballot as Czar of California, the guinea pig's name is
'Nick' and I think the guinea pig stands a good chance in that race.....

P.S. You are right that the threads have gone outside the scope of the
original post and I am probably mostly responsible for that... :-( But
good luck in the election/race! Look out for my son's guinea pig,,, he is a
born debater! :-/