USA: Experimental Certificates

Old October 27th 03, 09:28 PM
C.Fleming

Default USA: Experimental Certificates

Do new gliders delivered to USA customers have Experimental Certificates?
If so, why? If not, why do most second-hand gliders have Experimental
Certificates?

Please reference any replies.

Thanks!

Chris

Old October 27th 03, 11:07 PM
Judy Ruprecht

At 22:00 27 October 2003, Todd Pattist wrote:

My understanding is that the (US) process is
much easier now if the glider is certified in its home
country.

Perhaps some European ras-ers can comment on whether
and how individual countries' aircraft certification
processes are up for revision with the EU craze. Do
I understand correctly that there are some interim
procedures attempting to 'harmonize' things right now?
What lies ahead?

Judy

Old October 29th 03, 08:05 AM
F.L. Whiteley

No idea who now populates the BGA technical committee, but they had a long
standing trust in the US FAA's philosophy towards experimental aircraft as
an approach to reasonable airworthiness and modification approvals (as
discussed with Dick Stratton over a beer at Bicester one summer afternoon in
1991 IIRC). I suspect there is some pressure from CAA and EU workings.

Other than Polish aileron hinges wearing a bit quickly, I'm not aware of
anything that wouldn't pass muster at periodic, say 1000-hour, special
inspections following the intial 3000-hour life. Hopefully, said gliders
will continue to fly under the experimental condition inspections in the US
if they can't fly under TC, if they are impacted at all here.

Frank Whiteley

"IanR" wrote in message
Not sure about general airworthiness situation here in the UK, but my
syndicate's a/c has been grounded for three months now, thanks to red
tape. There doesn't seem to be any resolution in sight, either.

It seems that the BGA are now enforcing manufacturers' suggested
service-life figures as mandatory. Not sure if this has come from
Brussels, but I wouldn't be at all surprised. At the same time, some
manufacturers have imposed new and very severe lifetime-restrictions
on their products.

The worst aspect is that both did this without prior warning, and
without publicising the fact until well after the event. At present we
cannot establish whether there is any engineering or safety-basis for
these changes, and the manufacturers refuse to disclose their reasons.
(Which I view as unacceptable - if there is a safety-issue, we should
be told what it is.)

More info he
http://www.internet.plus.com/pzl/

****************************

Old October 29th 03, 03:09 PM
IanR

Agree. After all, SZD aircfaft have been flying for many years without
serious problems. They do have their weak-points, like the
airbrake-tube failures on the Puchacz, and the insecure winch-hook of
the Bocian, but then what doesn't have some repair-requirements? For
comparison looking at German bulletins reveals just as many, or maybe
more, directives to repair suspect parts. (Discus mainspars for
example!)

Th BGA CTO is now Jim Hammerton, and I get the impression he's
reluctant to commit himself to any definitive statement on the matter.

I also strongly suspect that Brussels has an evil hand in this, as
they have in so many things bureaucratic. The CAA generally don't
want any involvement with gliders, so I would be very surprised if
they had influenced the mandatory life-limitation.

Old October 30th 03, 10:48 PM
Ivan Kahn

"C.Fleming" wrote in message
Do new gliders delivered to USA customers have Experimental Certificates?
If so, why? If not, why do most second-hand gliders have Experimental
Certificates?

Please reference any replies.

Thanks!

Chris

I think you will find that gliders are delivered to the US without any
certificate at all - the owner makes an application to the FAA for the
airworthiness certificate. If the glider was certificated under the Joint
Aviation Regulations (JAR) then it is eligible for a standard certificate.
Otherwise, there are other hoops to jump through to get a standard
certificate, if one can be had at all. So in many cases the experimental
certificate is issued because the glider is either not eligle, or because it
was too much touble to get the standard.

Having an experimental certificate also gives you more latitude in making
modifications to the glider and so some gliders that are eligible for a
standard certificate have an experimental instead - in these cases the owner
felt the benefits of the experimental certificate outweighed the
limitations.

As to why so may used ships have experimental certificates, all the above
applies plus I think you will find that the further back you go the small
the population of gliders that were eligible for a standard certificate.

Ivan