Flight Envelopes

Old August 20th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Nyrup

Default Flight Envelopes

Hi,
I am looking for an Excel sheet or a dedicated program to generate flight
envelopes.

Please let me know if such exsists.

Best regards

Old August 20th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Please define "flight envelopes".
I have a copy of a cross country planner designed in excel.

BT

Old August 20th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Nyrup

Please define "flight envelopes".

With "Flight Envelope" I mean a pictorial way of displaying the strength of
a plane. Load factor on the Y-axis and airspeed on X-axis. Va, Vne, Vd etc.
is plotted and you get a graphical presentation of the plane limitations.

I hope it is a little clearer...

Best regards
MN

Old August 20th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

ok... that flight envelope..
I do not have a spreadsheet that would depict that for any given aircraft
given certain input information... but I'm sure someone does

Old August 21st 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring

Here's a "Flight Envelope" one of my buddies is working on:
http://www.personalblimp.com/index.html
See ya, Dave

Old August 21st 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Nyrup

I haven't made one for a year or two.
It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
You can make it yourself.
You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
Horizontal line is airspeed.
Vertical line is g-loading.
Top border is positive-g load limit.
Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
Right border is Vne.
Left border is Zero kts/mph.
The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
from memory.
I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
test data, but they would not provide it.

I too have made a few by hand but its never as nice as it would be if
generated by excel or similar.

Old August 24th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.soaring
Uli

Michael Nyrup wrote:

I haven't made one for a year or two.
It is called a V-n or V-g diagram.
You can make it yourself.
You look up all the information in the POH/AFM.
Horizontal line is airspeed.
Vertical line is g-loading.
Top border is positive-g load limit.
Bottom border is negative-g load limit.
Right border is Vne.

or Vd, if used for design and load calculations

Left border is Zero kts/mph.
The positive knee is at Va, Vs is another point at 1-g.
I would have to go back and review my sources, but this is what I recall
from memory.
I asked Cessna and Piper for the diagrams they generate based on flight
test data, but they would not provide it.

I too have made a few by hand but its never as nice as it would be if
generated by excel or similar.

and don't forget to consider gust loads. john described the manoevring
envelope which is only part of the flight envelope.

michael: for which purpose do you need the envelope? if you just want to
create a placard for your cockpit, refer to the POH; there you should find
any information needed. if you want to design a new airplane, refer to the
applicable certification specification which describes the flight envelope
pretty well (CS-22 in europe).

uli
Old August 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Michael Nyrup

michael: for which purpose do you need the envelope? if you just want to
create a placard for your cockpit, refer to the POH; there you should find
any information needed. if you want to design a new airplane, refer to the
applicable certification specification which describes the flight envelope
pretty well (CS-22 in europe).

No I am not designing an airplane :-) I just want to have the envelopes with
me and be able to compare them between types. No problem, I can do it by
hand, it's just had been easier (and nicer) to enter the data and have it
plotted automatically.

Regards
Michael