Ka6e vs Foka4

Old July 13th 03, 02:21 PM
Mike Reyes

Just a light joke, had to stick up for my Ka-6.
I actually contacted a couple of guys in my glider club to let them
know about Dave Stephenson's glider being up for sale for such a
bargain.

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message ...
Very funny. Have you ever met any Pole more than a dishwasher in your nearest fastfood bar?

Try to race with a Foka in a Ka-6 and you'll see who should have learned how to screw in a
lightbulb. I suggest you to check what was the only standard class glider which won the open class
in the World Gliding Championships. (HINT: it was built by the guys who must learn how to screw in a
lightbulb).

No regards,

--
Janusz Kesik
POLAND

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of WGC 2003

Użytkownik Mike Reyes w wiadomooci do grup dyskusyjnych
e.com...
The Ka-6e has a TRUE 33/1 L/D and was built by German artisans, the
Foka was built by a half dozen guys trying to figure out how to screw
in a lightbulb.
:-)

Old July 13th 03, 02:22 PM
Mike Reyes

Sorry if I offended. Just an attempt at some light brevity , and
sticking up for my glider type. The Foka's are iindeed impressive
enough that I let several members at my club know about one for sale
in the US.

Old July 13th 03, 09:09 PM
Paul

I guess the orginal question may have already been answered but here goes.

Ka6e. you sit upright, rudder is adjustable. Seatback is not. Canopy is not
hinged and is removable. Light and responsive handling. Climbs on the whiff
of a thermal. Nice and simple to rig. Light wings
Foka 4 Main wheel aft of C of G. Nose sits on a long skid. Long canopy that
slids forward. you lie down in it. Rudder doesn't adjust. Seatback does.
Real tight fit if broad shouldered. Excellent handling. Needs a bit more
than a whiff of a thermal to keep it up. Fully aerobatic if you are that way
inclined. More complicated to rig. Wings are heavier. A real weapon in the
hands of an aggressive pilot.

The choice would depend on where you fly. If you operate of seal/ gravel
strips. I would stay away from the Foka as the skid would wear out and need
replacing often. If the conditions you fly in are weak most of the time then
the Ka 6e would be better. The most important. Try each on for size. Both
are very different cockpits.
Paul

Old July 15th 03, 05:28 AM

Janos - They are both wonderful sailplanes - it comes down to personal
preference. Performance wise, the Foka is probably 5 to 10 kmh faster
in cruise (which is not significant in overall xc speed), and even
faster above 130. They both climb well in weak conditions with an edge
to the "E" with it's lighter wing loading and "feel" for the air. The
Foka enjoys a steep bank angle. They both have legendary handling
characteristics - Foka has a solid/steady feel with firm ailerons, the
Ka-6E a lighter, more agile feel. I prefer the reclined seating of the
Foka - confortable on long flights but a narrow cockpit (I wear a
bandage on my flying arm to protect from rubbing). Both have excellent
airbrakes for short field landings. I prefer the sliding canopy of the
Foka as it stays attached to the aircraft. The off-center CG tow
release on the "E" can make for an interesting take-off if the wing
runner isn't attentive! My experience on assembly is - take the K6.
The Foka wings are heavier and the main pin (at least on my ship) is
always a problem. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

David

Old July 15th 03, 11:07 PM
Janusz Kesik

OK, no problem if not repeated. Just my "Polish joke" alarm went off.
Just keep in mind for the future that Your postings may be offensive for =
some people, especially for those who have problems with keeping the =
distance from that kind of opinions.

U=BFytkownik Mike Reyes w wiadomooci do grup =
dyskusyjnych le.com...

Old July 23rd 03, 12:35 PM
Frank Dobbs

Personally, I fly a Zugvogel IIIa.

This has very similar performance, with the extra L/D of the Foka. It
doesn't drop a wing on takeoff ground run like the K6e. It has loads
of room in the cockpit (I can barely fit into a K6e being 6 foot 2 and
a half inches tall).

Happy non-glass flying!

Frank Dobbs

Old July 25th 03, 03:35 AM
Bob Gibbons

Ships like the K-6e are an excellent first ship for any new pilot.
Just to make sure they do not get the wrong idea from Frank's
comments, I will say that in my 5 years and 600 hrs of flying my K-6e,
I NEVER experienced a wing drop.

Frank may be referring to the right swinging tendency caused by the
left low CG tow hook. This is an entirely different issue from a wing
drop and is easily handled by having the wing runner hold back
appropriately on the left side wing for the first few feet of the
takeoff run.

Bob