ASW 24 WL for beginner ?

Old July 25th 03, 09:03 AM
dhofstee

Mike Borgelt wrote:
Nearly all these problems go away if you use a longer rope. About 240
feet. The towplane wake has much less energy, the rocks don't ding

There are definately different standards about the tow ropes...
Thickness too.

I've flown with ropes which range from 20 meters(!) to 50 meters. Never
longer. I guess when the rope is 75 meters, flying below wake becomes an
option. When it is 20, there is no choice because your are behind. Note
that towing in Netherlands is considered a waste of money so we don't do
it very often. Bye,

David
NL

Old July 25th 03, 09:13 AM
Sleigh

Tom..
Why would you choose to transfer from normal to low
tow...just say below propwash from the start...always
done it ..always taught it..NEVER had a problem..why
endanger your mate in the tow plane?

At 07:54 25 July 2003, Tom Serkowski wrote:
The key issue here is that 90% of the danger to the
towpilot from a
ballooning sailplane occurs before one has enough altitude
to get into
low tow. Granted, there may be a 'mindset' of the
glider pilot to
stay low, so there may be a little less incentive to
get high on the
tow while both are still less than 50' AGL or so.

Tom

Sleigh wrote in message news:...
At 13:54 24 July 2003, Geoff Vincent wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:02:00 +0100, 'Chris Reed'

Sounds like excellent justification to fly low tow.

Geoff Vincent
Australia

Geoff

You know that suggestion is, far too sensible and
practical
,for this group

Low tow fan..England

Old July 25th 03, 03:02 PM
Michael

Mike Borgelt wrote
Low tow fans note: You cannot fly low tow until the towplane is some
subtantial distance from the ground.

Why not? Simply stay in ground effect and let the tow plane climb out first.

Michael
Old July 25th 03, 10:59 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article , crwdog69
@hotmail.com says...
Mike Borgelt wrote
Low tow fans note: You cannot fly low tow until the towplane is some
subtantial distance from the ground.

Why not? Simply stay in ground effect and let the tow plane climb out first.

In our area, we often have enough wind shear in the first 200 feet
that this technique will lead to the tow plane slowing down rapidly
(compared to the glider and the ground) in the faster moving air above
the low glider. In those conditions, it is very important for the
glider to climb off the runway level with the towplane. A few hundred
feet up, a low tow can be safely established
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)
Old July 26th 03, 03:04 AM
Mike Borgelt

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:59:16 -0700, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

In article , crwdog69
says...
Mike Borgelt wrote
Low tow fans note: You cannot fly low tow until the towplane is some
subtantial distance from the ground.

Why not? Simply stay in ground effect and let the tow plane climb out first.

So where do you think you are relative to the wake when you are in
ground effect????

You are either in it(undesirable) or just above. Either way you end up
flying in the turbulent wake close to the ground. To fly in low tow
the towplane has to be high enough for you to be under the wake
without hitting the ground.

Mike Borgelt
Old July 26th 03, 02:02 PM
Robert Danewid

Interesting tread this one.

First question was:

Harry wrote:
would you recommend this ship for a recently licensed pilot ??? comments welcome!

regards
Harry

Now we have been through nose hooks vs CG hooks, winching or not and
nearly started a conflict between the US, Canada or Nort America on one
side and Europe on the other side.

First question, as far as I have found out, has still not been answered.
So I give it a try....

YES, the ASW24 is a good ship for recently licensed gliders. In Sweden
we use ASW24s (with CG hook) as first single seater (during traininng, i
e before you have your license, if you are trained in plastic two
seaters). LS4 and Discus are also approved as first single seater type.

The 24 has nice handling, a good, roomy and crashworthy cocpit (provided
you are not too long - I am 187 cm and can just fit in comfortably).

Robert